Saturday, February 13, 2021

All Hearts Day

 

... or, in homage to my Norwegian roots, Happy Valentinsdagen!


While going through mother's hope chest some years ago, I discovered a horde of neatly-banded greeting cards.  Brittle with age, some date back to my grandmother's youth.

I've not set foot in a Hallmark store in more than a decade.  (Do they still exist?)  But I sure remember when the sight of a distinctive envelope in the mailbox was a Big Deal -- guaranteed to make my heart do a little hop.  Yep. That's just how I felt Monday when I strolled to the curb.  Thank you, blog buddy!

So, it's been affixed to the refrigerator door all week.  But I wonder, who actually hangs onto their cards anymore?  (Excluding, of course, those priceless pieces of paper bearing crude inscriptions to "mommy.")

It's been years since Tom and I exchanged cards, but I'm always entertained by others' displays of affection.  For instance ...


When I was still working full-time, one of our resort guests -- a business traveler -- passed away suddenly.  It fell to me to inventory and ship his personal effects back home. Maybe that's why I felt drawn to his obituary, the many tributes and recollections left by friends and colleagues.  One, in particular, made me smile out-loud:  Sage advice, if you will, for the not-so newlywed set:

"xxx relates how you never bought Valentines Day cards.  Instead, you both took the time together to select cards off the rack, showed them to one another ... kissed and wished each other 'Happy Valentines Day.'  Placing the cards back in the rack, you went on about your business.  Hallmark must have hated him!"

I love that idea!
  




Here in rainy Coosada, we've no special plans.  I suggested Chinese take-out (thanks, Stacy!), but Tom countered.  We wound up having beef-and-broccoli and moo-shoo pork today and I'll do a nice roast with all the fixings tomorrow.

However you observe Valentines Day (or not), please take good care of yourself!
😍


Hugs, Myra 




39 comments:

  1. Wishing you and Tom the happiest of Valentine's Day. The best time together is to remember the happiness you brought to each others' lives.

    God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I thought of the same thing about the cards at the store; finding one for hubby, he for me and sharing them in the store without buying them LOL. We just never have done it LOL :)

    We still exchange cards but boy the price of them these days!! There still are Hallmark stores here but they seem not to be in great abundance.

    Have a great Valentine's Day Myra and Tom!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds! I've even seen a similar meme out on FB. Ya, today's prices are crazy. :(

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day! Andy and I don't celebrate it...we don't feel the need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, Jean. Like Terri posted, it's a Hallmark holiday.

      Delete
  4. HAPPY Valentines Day Myra. I about fell off my chair when reading this. My DNA recently revealed I'm from NORWAY, ICELAND and IRELAND. No kidding. So we have something in common. After years of collecting cards, my family takes photos of them and text them to each other. but i still like the old fashioned way. Sigh. Find joy in your day. I always do reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! Small world, isn't it? I've never heard of taking cards' pictures, but I like that. A lot!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love that card at the beginning and the words caught ship kill me. The only thing I ever bought in the Hallmark store was 20 years ago when I was walking through the mall and I saw the Christmas on sale and I went in and bought the tree that I threw it in the trash this past week the little tree that has been sitting in the look for 20 years. Bob and I have been married for 36 years and we have never bought each other a card of any kind we are both non card people and that's a good thing. The only cards I ever sent we're to my mother and I felt like I had to because she was a card person. When I get a card I read it and go that's nice and then it goes in the recycle bin. Bob did not even know it was Valentine's Day until I told him today is my son's 56th birthday and also their 25th anniversary. He and I are just alike and it's a good thing because if one was a card person and one was not like my mother and my daddy she always got her feelings hurt because I bought the card from Daddy to her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was a card person, too. Sometimes I'd get so impatient while she lingered in the card aisle, reading every sentiment to make sure it said what she was feeling.

      Delete
  6. I do save cards...I have hat boxes full of cards, etc., many from my parents, family members, and anything from my kids. I go through them ever so often and weed out ones that I really don't need to keep, but it is painful to do so. Hey, those things are expensive! LOL. But the homemade ones are the most priceless. We don't do romantic stuff for Valentine's day but we do give each other cards. Last night we had a steak dinner here, our son grilled it...so not romantic, just good! today we are going out to eat with church friends/family to celebrate hubby's birthday (16th) and Valentine's day. Not romantic, just fun. We are more about fun than romance, which we save for "private moments" Have a blessed and happy day. Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grilled steak and FUN with family/friends sounds perfect. I'm thinking 'like' is just as important, if not more so, than love.

      Delete
  7. Happy Valentine's Day Myra! 💗

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a sentimental fop who saves too many cards, Myra. It should be my goal to purge the piles at some point this year. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Methinks there should be more 'sentimental fops' in this old world. 🙂

      Delete
  9. Hi Myra:
    We are having a simple Valentine's Day.
    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No going out here, expecting another winter storm to roll in...wishing you both a very Happy Valentines Day, my friend.

    P.S. I have kept every single card and letter my husband has ever written. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww. I love that. (Really)
      Please stay safe during this storm!

      Delete
  11. Like you I recently came across so old cards. These had been sent tony grandmother from my mother. What a precious treasure they are. I do love to send cards out but didn't get any for Valentines Day so an email had to suffice. Hope you have a wonderful Day. Hearts to you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precious, indeed! Without benefit of the internet, I suppose our parents (and theirs) put more stock in the written word.

      Delete
  12. It could not be said any better than Victor did: Wishing you and Tom the happiest of Valentine's Day. I loved the quote about the Card RACK!!
    You make me smile. The pictures you do in print. I could see you reaching for those cards of your mothers that could bring blast from the past.
    Again from us, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, WE TOO ARE 'ENJOYING?" THE RAINS.
    Sherry and Jack...... Sending love also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Jack (and Sherry, too)! You guys make me smile, as well.

      Delete
  13. Between Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, and Mardi Gras it's hard to figure out which holiday to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your take out today!! Love each other always! I do save a few cards now and then that have special meaning or special notes in them. Someone else can throw them away some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to exchange cards, it so much more personal than social media. A card in my mailbox would have made me smile too. I do keep my cards until I get on a "I keep too much stuff" binge and then out they go, except the very special ones. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, that! Happy valentine's Day to you and Mr. D, too!

      Delete
  16. Happy Valentines Day to you. I buy and mail cards, they are good to hold in your hand, and set somewhere so they can be enjoyed for a while. I even framed 4 cards a pen pal sent me and the cards are hanging in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made some heart shaped cookies for hubby and I did buy a card. He grilled filet for us on Saturday night and we ordered a pizza last night. Woo Hoo! I recently bought two sympathy cards and one was $4.99 and one was $5.99. The price of cards is sky high :-). I do love to receive mail though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Getting 'real' mail always feels nice. Those prices ...aaargh. And more often that not the grands just give it a glance and throw it away.

      Delete
  18. We bought a half lb. of dark truffles to share for as long as they last. We have one per day per person. I missed the Loveland card mailing this year. So sad. We had Texas Roadhouse curbside. YUMMY! I Am a Dollar Tree card shopper. Otherwise I could not afford the encouragement group. I also buy from a CHristian co on line boxes of different cards for sympathy, birthday, anniversary etc. We are warming up a bit. Texas and Louisana were hit so hard with snow and cold. Prayers going up always. STay safe and warm and dry. HUGS and LOVE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas Roadhouse is always yummmmy! I can't believe it took me so long to catch onto the Dollar Tree cards. Tom couldn't believe how nice they are, too.

      Delete
  19. They do exist but mine closed. I buy from Hallmark online now. I do have precious cards from my dad. Take care and have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!