Hot days, cold days, all around the town!
Little wonder I woke last Thursday with a sinus headache and sore throat (ad nauseam). Since my father's no longer available to fix me his special 'get well milkshake,' I went looking for a favorite fix.
... to no avail.
Whaaaaat? For years, one of these teabags was a staple in my handbag. At the first sign of a co-worker's sniffle, I'd be there, pressing a hot cup in their hand. Like a mother, waiting and watching while they drank.
Our closest grocer stocks the basics, but I don't think 'holistic' is in their vocabulary.
Only another 1.5 mi., across I65 to Publix, but Tom humored me, even offering to drive.
Knowing my fascination with Publix -- and Target, too -- he opted to stay in the truck. Little likelihood, I'd return with one item. 😉
There's no defining it, but I'm drawn to these stores like some kids to Disney. And I don't think I'm alone. Granted, their goods may be a smidgen more, but. There's the lighting, wide aisles, attractive shelving, and clean. Target has even taken to hiring 'ambassadors' who look like they mean it when they say, "How are you?" and "Can I help you find .....?"
Could be Prattville's crazy traffic, but we normally keep to this side of the freeway. Even before Covid became a 'thing,' it was simpler to run into the indy hardware store than navigate Wal-Mart.
That said, I'd about had it up to HERE with the flimsy screen at the bottom of the kitchen sink. (Those of you on septic systems know the struggle!)
Off to Marvin's! Yet, when I tried - unsuccessfully - to explain what I was looking for, the clerk started laughing. "I know what you mean. Follow me!" Then, "We call this Pictionary, because lots of our customers are reduced to drawing pictures."
He was so friendly. I couldn't help saying so. I smiled when he said, "Well, those who aren't usually don't last long."
I've been accused (rightly) of being a marketing manager's favorite target. I'll own it.
Just curious: Do attractive displays or convenience tip the scales in favor of where you shop?
Have yourselves a great day!
Stay safe!
Hugs,
Myra



Oh no! Go lnline there are so many choices to order tea and we see it everywhere here. You let me know, I will send it to you girl. Feel better. Take your Vit C, Zinc and D3. Trust me you will feel better. Other than my allergies which are lifelong and my sinus, since my first 1984 neurosurgery, I think they roter rooted those sinuses in the process! Argh....my hubby's secret ingredient for pizza sauce is Chef Boyardee in the can. Poor Hannah could find it nowhere when oneday magically it appeared at their Wal-Mart store. I can find you what you need. You should stock up because tea does not go bad like eggs or milk. (wink wink). Love ya
ReplyDeleteAw, thanks! Actually, I'm back to feeling 100% ... and, in fact, still have some of those Vit. C lozenges you sent me. :)
DeletePraying for your good health, and Tom's.
ReplyDeleteYes, better lit stores with good displays do tempt customers to visit more often; and buy more. We have a store which has a "market street" display. Although it is a supermarket, it has an area that looks like an old style market with small units: butcher, fishmonger, delicatessen, bakery, cheese monger, bakery, pizzas - each with a person or two serving you personally. Whatever you ask for, they cut it, weigh it, and prepare it for you individually - e.g. they would cut the meat, or fish as you wish. Just like an old fashioned shop would do. If you have time, it is more fun getting your goods from these small units rather than from the supermarket itself, with pre-packed items.
God bless.
That sounds like a delightful feature! As my budget allowed, I'd definitely patronize them.
DeleteI do enjoy shopping in Publix, "where shopping is a pleasure", but we usually shop at our local Hitchcock's here in town rather than drive 15 miles, and it is actually not bad. Prices can be a little more on some things, but lower on others. My big stuff,paper goods, etc., we go to Walmart, which is also about 15 miles, or I order it and it is delivered. (non perishables). We also have a small Ace hardware here in town that we run into for simple things, and another lumber yard kind of place too, rather than travel to the big box places again 15 miles away. After all, our time and gas amount to something too. I'm glad you feel better. "tis the season for sinus issues to start up again...
ReplyDeleteGasoline and time counts for a lot! I've not tried Wal-Mart delivery, but it's sounding increasingly attractive.
Deleteyou already know my answer, i am a died in the wool only Walmart shopper. I hate shopping. At Wally World i can buy a fire extinguisher, pool supplies,computer, TV anything I want or need from A to Z.. one stop shopper is my game. when i shop Publix i cringe when I buy something and mutter to myself about it is 1.00 more or even 2.50 more than WM. I am cheap to the bone, practical to a fault. Butt when i want something from hardware i got to our local Crowder Brothers, they have a Staff Member at the door, with a head set, he says may I help you find something, I do the pictioanry thing and he says into his headset, to a person back in aisle 20, sending you a customer, she needs a BIG rat trap... or what ever. a tiny screww... love that store and it does cost more but they always have it. I doubt WM has holistic anything though. i order that from Amazon my other one stop shopping place. as I type my 30 lb bag of dog food is coming today and a lamp... the traffic here drives me nuts. Amazon has no traffic and WM is less than 3 miles of back roads. I will do anything to keep from drivin to anything more than 3 to 5 miles from home. IF we EVEER get an appt for C-19 vacine, it will be 18 miles. arrrrrrrrrrrh
ReplyDeleteActually, if we go to Publix once every few months that's a lot. Like you, I hate to drive more than the 2.6 mi. to WM ... THIS coming from the same gal who used to commute 32 miles one-way every weekday!
DeleteGive me Publix over any other grocery store. Always clean, well-lit and accessible aisles. Since the pandemic, though, I haven't ventured into one except to get my flu shot back in September. I never thought I'd say "I miss grocery shopping," but I sure do!
ReplyDeleteAnd that clerk sounds like the best!
Blessings, Myra!
When I moved from Florida to Arizona, I probably missed Publix every day. So many things I took for granted before the pandemic.
DeleteI refuse to use self-checkout with the exception of Sam's Club where I just need to capture the barcode, hit a few buttons on my phone and go right to the door, avoiding check-out lanes, self or not. I avoid Walmart whenever I can, rarely go to Target, but Publix is my haven. Clean, wide aisles... yes, thank you!!
ReplyDeleteAfter Target began championing their gender-neutral bathrooms I refused to patronize them. Maybe they've had a change of heart, but I didn't spot anything like that here.
DeleteWhen God was handing out the shopping gene, I think I must've been in another line... maybe one for inappropriate senses of humor, or something. However, as much as I loathe wandering through stores, say, in search of the "perfect gift," I LOVE grocery stores. Yep. I'm a sucker for them. Publix is one of my favorites, and I know most of the employees in there by name, but I also enjoy Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Lidl, and a whole slew of specialty food shops and international farmers' markets. Love 'em! I love visiting new grocery stores, too, just so I can check out every aisle for new discoveries. Even with Mike gone and most of my incentive gone for preparing big meals, I still enjoy my trips to the food stores... and I cook for myself as though I were company. (I very nearly lit candles for myself at dinner one night, but I decided I didn't like myself quite "that" much. HA)
ReplyDeleteTake care, sweet lady.
Love Trader Joe's, but not enough to drive into Montgomery. You know, I've heard dinner should be a Celebration of the Senses. Next time, light the candles!
DeleteWell Publix stores are on just about every corner here and other stores are few and far between, Publix it is for me. I sure hope you are feeling better Myra!
ReplyDeleteI sure am.... thanks, Martha!
DeleteImma tell ya, it is nice for a shipmate to have that 'liquid cure' for what ever ails you!
ReplyDeleteI think nice displays are good and easy to locate the goods, but it is convenience and price that draws this guy who is not a shopper. Sherry will tell anyone I am a buyer, I go to get not normally to shop. Gimme a list, I'm good! LOL
Enjoyed the read and always like the insight of families.
From a cool messy North CArolina
Sherry & jack,
You and Tom are so alike! Must be a 'guy thing.'
DeleteHey, I just checked the website for the local Walmart here in the TN boonies - and they DO carry the Yogi brand of Throat Comfort tea (but it said they're not sure if it's presently in stock). You could undoubtedly order it online.
ReplyDeleteIn recent years I have gotten so used to shopping at inferior stores in one-horse towns that I've almost forgotten what big, decent city stores are like.
My cat Bosco is presently DETERMINED to jump on my computer (one of his passionate habits).
Excuse me while I kill him
(just jesting, of course.....)
Awwww, that's cute!
DeleteThanks for checking, but ya. Publix had it in stock. I love that place!
Convenience tips the scales on where I shop :) But now that hubby is retired and I'm working he does the grocery shopping; I just send him with a list. Honestly, I'm so much more happier! He is a born shopper and I merely tolerate getting it done :)
ReplyDeleteI like the bargain bins at Target that are located by the door here at the Target I shop at. I have found cute things for the wee one to play with and everything is reasonably priced.
Read the comments and saw that you are feeling better. That's great! Now to have some on hand for the next time, right?
betty
Sounds like a win-win for the both of you! (I think Tom finds reasons to go to Food Outlet because he's bored. LOL)
DeleteHA!!! Self checkout is not for dummies, just saying...and since I did work Self Checkout before I got the recent gig of Health Ambassador, I can simply state this...and I do feel everyone's pain about not being checked out by a real cashier.
ReplyDeleteI miss Publix, I grew up on that store. No Publix in the great white north/frozen tundra, my friend. My husband just came in from shoveling the snow and goes, "Oh, your not showered or dressed? Ok, I'll go the bank and the store then." Ok, fine with me. He just wants to drive my new SUV---he don't have me fooled, LOLOL (Day off today and thankfully too, so much snow and the roads are nasty etc.).
ANYWAYS, where was I? A good hot toddy will work for you, seriously, look that recipe up. Since we live here in the frozen tundra, nothing over the counter works or help. I hope you get to feeling better, my friend. My husband, "Good Lord Linda, you sound like a raging acoholic", lolol.
LOLOLOL! I suppose my aversion to Self Checkout is making a mistake in front of other customers -- who either giggle at the 'old lady' or glare my way for holding up the line.
Delete...that is not a problem here (glaring). NO ONE likes self checkout, we have 16 of them and barely do we have 1 cashier on a daily basis. Its horrible.
DeleteSometimes we have to forgo convenience for a better shopping experience. I like to go where I can get everything in one store and Walmart has never done that for me. Close, but not perfect. The more expensive grocery story of my choice comes in first. I'll pay a little more for only having to shop one store for everything I need.
ReplyDeleteTrue that! Even the Wal-Mart on-line delivery option doesn't afford everything I'm looking for.
Delete