Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Summertime at the Hodgepodge





It's that time again … which means Joyce is here with questions for this week's Hodgepodge!
Without further ado …..




Saturday marks the first official day of summer!  Whoohoo!  Your favorite thing about the season?

Aw Joyce, this is a toughie!
This cold-weather lover is coming up empty.  Let's just say, I'm grateful we're much closer to sweater weather. 



Love it!, labor of love, not for love or money, no love lost, love handles, love does, love-hate relationship, misery loves company, tough love, love will find a way.
Pick one and tell us how it applies to your life right now.

Love it!
In spite of the challenges home ownership's tossed our direction, I'm besotted by this olden house … a community of like-minded friends … and Alabama in general.



What's one thing currently causing you to seethe?  One thing currently making you smile?

I was going to cite all the annoying pop-up ads and unnecessary rhetoric ("amazing!", "magical!") when Googling recipes.

Then!  Mid-afternoon our A/C decided to roll over and play dead.  Less than a week after its semi-annual maintenance!  I don't care that it's almost 9 o'clock … the tech's here now.

What makes me smile?
Always and forever



Of the following to-dos found on a summer checklist, which 3 would definitely make your personal list of summer want-to-dos?

Roast marshmallows over a fire, go berry or peach picking, dangle your feet off the end of a dock, sit on a porch swing, watch the sunset from a beach, nap in a hammock, go barefoot in the grass, collect seashells, play tennis, go fishing, build a sandcastle, catch fireflies, eat a soft-serve ice cream cone, make a pitcher of Sangria, swim in a lake, stargaze, ride a bike, paddle a canoe or kayak, make a summer road trip, throw a frisbee.

Do you make an actual list?
Are you kidding me?
Early this year I made a vision board … and look how that turned out!



Thursday is National Splurge Day. What might you splurge on in order to celebrate?
We're really not 'splurge' type folks and don't need much to make us happy.  Tom would say, a new dishwasher. But I'd be delighted
with a big old rack of smoked ribs and brisket! 



Insert your own random thought here.
So, the dermatologist's office called this afternoon with the results:
I've got contact dermatitis; she advises I should just continue using the sunflower oil.  Veeeery weird, since I've not experienced any of those symptoms and the rash isn't going away.  All the same, I'm feeling mighty blessed wasn't something worse.


Oh! Before I forget, I'd like to wish all the dads -- both bio and bonus -- a most happy Father's Day.  Mine's been gone since '81 and I still miss him every day.



Y'all take care … stay safe!
Hugs!






30 comments:

  1. I don't care for summer weather, either, Myra. Give me temps in the 50s, and I'm a happy camper! Glad to hear that your skin condition is something manageable and treatable, too. And I love the photo of you with your dad. I miss mine each and every day.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! 50-degree weather just makes me feel so alive! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I am not a summer girl at all. Hmm...did you change detergents, jewerly or something? Just wondering. I have had contact dermatitis and it was from a detergent.

    I hope you have a beautiful day friend...we have so much to do in regards to mil...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. And nope. Guess I'm a medical mystery, lol!

      Delete
  3. The thing I love about summer are the longer days of sunlight. We don't get much sunshine here in northern Ohio, and I need it I do splurge when it comes to ice cream in the summer. I have some most every day. It's god to hear your skin condition is not anything worse than it is and that you are on track with the treatment. Sounds like you have found the perfect place to live and I'm glad you are enjoying it all. I think I have too. Life in the slow lane is wonderful. Hope you continue to enjoy your summer days there. That picture with you and your dad s priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you, Ma! Yes, it feels good to be living in the slow lane. I hadn't considered your living so far north getting little sunshine -- that makes a difference, for sure!

      Delete
  4. Friends of mine are heading to Alabama tomorrow to visit their daughter and her family. They've never been there in the summer. I warned them it's HOT!! They are summer/beachy people, though, so it probably won't bother them much. Plus, I think there daughter is near the gulf so maybe they will get to go swimming.
    Love Gracie and Macie...who don't look like they love the heat, either.
    Glad your rash isn't anything more serious!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I can't complain about the heat. In fact, it was like 64* at 7:00! Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are on my short list of places to visit … soooo pretty.

      Delete
  5. This is fun, I'll add it to my list to play along in the future. I was told I had contact dermatitis too. I think that's what they say when they don't really know what it is lol. Oh and my grocery store didn't have sunflower oil - figures. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to see you linked up to the Hodgepodge! Ya, Joyce publishes her questions every Tuesday morning. Fun times!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for introducing me to this fun linky. I've always loved participating in link up parties :)

      Delete
  6. I'm with Martha on a fun entry. MOST, I love the picture of you and your dad, what a manly man, he loved that cute girl I'd bet a million!
    When I was a kid, summer meant swimming in the rivers and creeks, I could hardly wait.
    Now I have a rough time waiting for a ROAD TRIP!
    This one could go on for a long time, SWEET entry hope the A/C comes back to life with little problems. We love you lady,
    Sherry & jack in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you and Tom enjoyed similar summer outdoor fun! Thankfully, yes. Our A/C is back running like a champ. I'd love to plan an impromptu road trip. Y'all are my spirit animals. :)

      Delete
  7. I am hoping I can remember until I get through commenting that when I get off I want to look up contact dermatitis! I love sitting on a porch swing on a screened in porch and wish I had one and that and Barefoot in the grass is the only thing on the list I would do! And my favorite part of your post is those two precious little pup sitting on the steps posing for your picture. What I like to do in the summer is sit in the air-conditioned house and read a book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the prettiest picture of the back yard weeds, but ya. That's the girls' happy place. But I'll settle for being indoors near the A/C with a good book!

      Delete
  8. I'd be curious what you were in contact with that gave you the contact dermatitis. Ick on the a/c but glad the tech came. Why does it always seem to break after the maintenance people come by LOL (happened to us this past winter).

    Happy Father's Day to Tom and to your son!

    Alabama definitely has been a great fit for you!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! And I'm not exhibiting any of the symptoms. But who am I to argue with a biopsy? LOL. Thank you for the Father's Day wishes … same to your hubby and DS!

      Delete
  9. Great pic of you and your Dad. I grumble, grumble when I'm trying to find a recipe on Pinterest and all the ads begin floating across the page. And that is after I had to scroll through all the pics and description of the food. Just show me the recipe, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks!
      Exactly … just cut to the chase!

      Delete
  10. So glad to hear your rash is not serious and can be easily healed. Perhaps you came into contact with plants you're allergic to. Or an insect bite in the garden.

    Wonderful photo of you and your dad. God bless you and your whole family. Be and keep happy as often as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your air conditioner. Love the pups. I love brisket, going to have some on Saturday. Sweet photo of you and your dad. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you make your own, Debby? We've discovered a wonderful BBQ place that makes the best brisket, ribs, etc. All we can do to limit ourselves to once a month, LOL!

      Delete
  12. Happy Father's day to everyone.
    I agree with you - summer brings me one more season closer to fall and winter that I love.
    I have had dermatitis too! A lot.
    Sandie♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you put on yours, Sandie? I can't even go for a pedicure for fear of freaking out the techs.

      Delete
  13. We've had almost fall like weather these past couple of days, which for sure won't last because this is SC, but fall is my favorite so I'm a happy camper. Glad you got a good report, and I hope the dermatitis clears up soon. Sorry about the ac! Ugh! Stay well and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Alabama, too! I think it was 64* when I poured my first cup of coffee. Loving it!

      Delete
  14. Love the photo of you and your dad! Mine has been gone since 89 and I miss him every day too. I enjoyed your answers and Joyce's questions! Many of us plan on that soft-serve ice cream cone!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a sweet photo of your dad with you. Mine has been gone since '85. Miss him as if it were yesterday. Yet never would I wish them back to this awful mess we call the world. OH we have a barbeque place called G Que. Lord have mercy, I was hooked on Famous Dave's until these folks rolled into our lives. The brisket, I would jump into a vat of it and stay there until it was all gone! We had an awful heat wave. Returning I Hear. UGH! But a high of 74 today will make me extra grateful. I am really trying to eat better. I was shocked to see how many pounds I added since this mess started. But my hubby reminds me, we never know if we will have to run for our lives so.....do not get too thin. Scary things in the world. But I do enjoy the cooler months. This 74 degree weather is good, 55-65 is better. HeeHeeHee! Love our A/C but today is the first day in a long while we did not turn it on.I love my patio swing, I love a sandy beach or a most importantly the beautiful mountains where we live not too far away. I love S'Mores too. MaryKay Ash valued the importance of a daily to do list. I try really hard yet here I am barely noon and nothing much has been done but blogging. Which I treasure. But with this old house and all those annoying trees (5 to be exact) there is always a project to be done. We are getting solar panels as our state requires we comply with all these "green" upgrade or else Excel Energy will double and possibly triple our energy bill. Several neighbors have it and they love it! Wishing Tom and all those "dad's" in your life a Happy Father's Day. All of us except Hannah and Jake will be together SONday.HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wonderful Derm news! I have a pre cancer on my nose just like my mom and older brother. Also in the hot weather the rosacea! I am hopeful my next appointment will be better as I waited for 45 minutes last time and was rushed through with barely a five minute appointment once she arrived to see me. Very frustrated that they would rather deal with the cosmetic end of it. You know, where all the money is. Disturbing actually all the greed. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!