Monday, July 27, 2026

Monday, Monday

 


Hey there, hello!

I'm only about 10 hours late posting -- but still wanted to share a page from our lives and times.  


Whewy, y'all!  This heat and humidity makes a body want to curl up under the AC until Autumn Christmas.  Unfortunately, what the rain's doing to our back yard would make Jack's Beanstalk envious.



We did have an Adventure the other evening.  That is, at least, an adventure for two senior citizens whose outings usually consist of trips to the grocery and doctors' offices.


Some time ago I saw on Facebook that our favorite comedian was coming to the Performing Arts Center ... did Tom want to go?   


Since we no longer exchange Christmas or birthday gifts, I rationalized that would be our gifts to one another.  He agreed ... yay.


Then, about 10 days ago I began stressing.  Playing the "what if" game.   Where would we park -- and could I even navigate there.   My kids thought we were nuts, even being in Montgomery after dark.


Thank goodness for Uber!  Despite never having used them before, the website was easy-peasy.   Come Saturday morning however, I'm on pins and needles.  Will the driver find our house?  Or, what if he/she doesn't show up?


Huh.  I used to laugh at my mother when she'd worry irrationally .... and now I've turned into her.


No worries.  Our sweet little driver pulled in the driveway at exactly 5pm.  She lives just 3 minutes down the street!


Boy, the downtown was packed, but Valerie pulled right up to the Renaissance Hotel's front door ... like a celebrity. (lol)


Dinner was a mixed bag, but I chose to make the best of it.   My plate looked like someone had super-sized the salmon.  It was huge, but given the price point I was determined to eat every bite.  Delish!



 


Leeanne Morgan was so good ... I almost forgot my aversion to being in wall-to-wall crowds of people.

Requisite selfie


Later, Tom was stressing how the (new) driver was going to find us but the Good Folks at Uber have all that figured out.   It was nice, even, sitting out by the fountain watching the fireworks going off at the Biscuits (baseball) game.

I doubt we're going to do "Date Night" again, but it was nice to re-visit those parts of my life.



In other news ...
I've decided I'm not so fond of our new Bible study (12 Women of the Bible), but I still enjoy getting out of the house for a few hours every Monday morning.


Today's lesson (Leah: Overcoming Rejection and Insecurity) was surprisingly good.  It did, however, reawaken lots of old emotions.  A little surprised to hear others echoing my thoughts.   When I mentioned Janis Ian's "At Seventeen" there were more than a few nods.

Do you remember?






Well, it's going on sundown in Alabama.

Tomorrow Grace Evelyn turns 13 years old.  It's bittersweet, not having here twin here to share this milestone.  It's a given, I'll shed more than a few tears.  But love on her, we will.   Every day's a gift. 



Say, before I go!  Please don't forget my Blogaversary give-away (on my last post)!   Will yours be the lucky name drawn this weekend?   Cross fingers!



Big hugs!

Myra


 


35 comments:

  1. Of courae I remember "At Seventeen" and I remember BEING 17!! I've used Uber a couple of times and keep the app on my phone!! Glad you had a good experience with it, and also got to see the show you were looking forward to. Happy birthday to your sweet puppy, with a hug. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good read. Glad you had a great time, only once, but I do remember it, did I get a serving of salmon that was a surprise. Glad ot was a good time. I must get that uber app, my sons and a grandson have driven uber, I need to know how to use uber, no one knows when then might need that ride. Most though, we are glead you two young folks had a good time. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've tested the water, Uber may become my new best friend. Peace of mind is worth every penny.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I loved the music of Janis Ian! Wow I haven't thought of her in awhile. Society's Child and of course Seventeen were part of my early to late teens. Thanks for sharing.
    Well it sounds like a good time and you handled it all beautifully. I still haven't taken a Uber yet. My husband has but I just haven't had the need yet.
    Good read, Myra! I like the photo of you and Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I remember At 17.
    We use Uber occasionally and nearly every time ha been a great experience.
    Glad you got to see Leanne. She is funny!
    BTW another of your favorites is going to be at Virginia Samford Theater in Birmingham.
    Sean of the South Christmas Show
    Dec. 10-13 and 17-20

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for setting up a date night and trying new things to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, when you do venture out, you really do it big! That sounds like quite the eventful evening for sure! Using the UBER driver was a great idea, and you didn't have to stress over parking, etc. And the food looks marvelous! I don't know that comedian, nor do I know the "AT Seventeen" song. I live in a cave I think. LOL. And I know you will be bittersweetly celebrating Grace Evelyn's birthday. Sending you (((HUGS))) and love for the day. I hope you can hang in there with the Bible Study. I bet it gets more interesting as the time goes by. We are still on our summer break from our study and also from choir practice. I am looking forward to getting back to both in September. Thank you for this post. I enjoyed it, and love the picture of the two of you so much! Now I need to go back and see your other post about the blogaversary! I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found the post, Pam. Your name's in the hat!

      Delete
  7. Everyone should have a date night once in a while! I've never done uber so I'm glad to hear what a success your ride was. That was a plateful of food for sure, but glad you enjoyed every bite. I usually wind up taking half my dinner home with me. The portions are always too big! I do enjoy hearing about your Bible studies, I miss going to those. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ma. Perhaps you can find a study to your liking/comfort level online?

      Delete
  8. How could I forget that song, Myra? I'm glad that Tom and you were able to have that date night thanks to Uber. We don't go anywhere after dark; we would have to have a driver if we did. Happy Birthday to sweet Grace Evelyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably won't make a habit (going out), but Uber's made a believer out of me. Worth every cent!

      Delete
  9. Good for you about the adventure! I wish we had Uber here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way Uber's growing It probably won't be long. Just last year it wasn't available in Coosada, and we're only 20 minutes from Montgomery.

      Delete
  10. What a great adventure for you!! We've never used uber but the kids put the app on my phone just in case. Just in case of what I asked!! lol I remember being 17, that's when I married Mr D. Happy birthday to Grace Evelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done and very brave of you to go to the theatre. And a good idea to go by taxi. It helps enjoy the experience I believe. I would hate having to drive back home after a theatre performance and a restaurant meal.

    Best wishes to you both and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, neither Tom or I see well at night. Plus I'm leery of getting behind the wheel after having enjoyed an adult beverage, so there's that.

      Delete
  12. Well,. I am hoping to be the lucky number... When I saw your's and Tom's photo on FB at the concert, I was thrilled that you both venture out. I am glad that you. both went.. Honestly, I would have been a lot like you...worrying about this and that... Happy Birthday to Grace Evelyn...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad that y'all were able to Uber to the venue and have fun!! Happy birthday to Grace Evelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy you were able to use Uber and it turned out just the way you wanted it to. Glad the "date night" turned out to be a good memory and hugs to your Gracie on her birthday. Hugs to you as you think loving thoughts about the thoughts of when there were 2 pups in the mix.
    (((hugs)))
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are having the same rain and heat!
    How smart you were thinking of Uber. I never ever thought of that. Was it 'real' expensive.
    I am not sure Leeanne Morgan is - but I am glad you got to see her.
    Happy birthday to Gracie!
    I am weird - I loved the age of 17 -- I do remember the song.
    Love, Sandie/Chatty Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea what public transportation costs are nowadays, but no. I think it was very reasonable -- $27-something one way going and $26 coming home. About 20 minutes each way.

      Delete
  16. Your date night sounds like fun. I'm glad all went well. I've never taken an uber but my daughter has and she is very particular about the driver she picks. Unfortunately, one needs to be these days. I think I replied to the giveaway post the other day but if not please put me in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thecontemplativecat here. Uber has been a godsend for our community.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I played with the idea of Uber a couple of times. I am wondering how much it cost to go to Montgomery and back.
    A friend here is using it because she can't afford a car payment and hers died. she uses it to get to her volunteer job on Sat and to doctor appts.
    give me the news about how it works in case I have to use it.
    I don't know the song or the singer, but I do remember 17 and I was a senior in highschool and hated school and being 17.
    I would have done the same thing, fret over if they could find me or would come back and get me...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!