Let's be honest. Who among us can't relate? Or know someone else?
I remember my son's 12th Christmas. December 1981 was emotionally wrenching. My father had passed unexpectedly a few weeks before ... we adults doing our best to put on a happy face. Gosh forbid anyone Wallow. I don't remember who gifted Troy a rather elaborate ship's model -- but he set it aside like so much garbage. Gracious wasn't yet a learned skill set.
Days later at some point -- boredom perhaps -- he picked up the box and proceeded to build a beautiful replica. Like he'd been doing it all his life!
When asked why the initial reaction, Troy confided he'd been afraid he didn't know how ... that he'd fail. Ever feel that way? Refuse to try something new because you might fail? I know I have!
Well, ouch! I know what he was saying is true ... Tom and I actually stopped buying for one another several years ago and opt to get something for the house.
Except. One of my favorite moments of the holiday season is imagining, then discovering something I'm sure my loved ones will cherish. I aim for this sort of expression found on a loved one's face a long time ago.
Shock. Surprise. A genuine, "How did you know?"
To be honest, I've made more misses than hits. The expensive sweater depicting chipmunks square dancing, a water bra (yes, really) ...
Go figure, now I'd love to receive a package containing hankies. So much better than the paper towels usually found at the bottom of my purse.
Thankfully, now I can truly appreciate the sentiment in which a gift is given. "So what?" if the color's not something I'd have chosen ... if the spoon rest is likely to spend the rest of its life in a junk drawer ... if the fruit cake is likely to be re-gifted. So what? Like a lyric from a favorite song, "It's the laughter we will remember."
If you have such a memory, I'd love to hear it.
I hope your new week is full of laughter!
Holiday hugs!
Myra
More photographs coming soon ... but here's an appetizer!
![]() |
| Yes, that's son Troy under the beard! |



Can't think of a story, but about "gifting", we just enjoy giving for the fun of giving and yes, seeing our loved ones faces light up (hopefully). We have fun with it. Not every gift is super wonderful, but it's just fun to open the gifts regardless. What else is there to do on Christmas day? Oh well, everyone must do what everyone thinks best, but we give silly gifts just for the fun of having something to open. Doesn't have to be expensive. But that's us, and not everyone has to agree.
ReplyDeleteOh, I love that picture above. That's a keeper for sure. I can't wait to see more.
Ah yes, I remember! I can't wait to see what y'all do this year!
DeleteGifting is annoying, frustrating, expensive, and I've abandoned it long ago. Even sending Christmas cards is a nightmare nowadays. My parents were never enthused with the holidays, but I usually got the gift I wanted. Let's try to eliminate holiday stress. Jon
ReplyDelete"Try" being the key word! 2026 will be here before we know it.
DeleteWe basically stopped giving presents long ago too. No holiday madness, just a peaceful time of year. ❤️
ReplyDeletePeace on earth, yes.
DeleteMy adult children have told us the same thing. They don't need or want anything. This is year two of that. I confess, that I still buy each of them something - inexpensive, just because I'm the Mom! One son said he is focusing on Jesus. Wow what can I say after that?
ReplyDeleteWow. Your boy was raised right!
DeleteMy husband and I are the same - we buy what we need at the time and feel it is not necessary to give gifts. Still do for the kids.
ReplyDeleteMy mom didn't mean to, but when she got a gift and she didn't like it - she let us know. I learned from that - no matter what gift I receive - I will love it and use it no matter what.
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that! I'm so glad you didn't follow in her footsteps, Sandie.
DeleteI love the Father Christmas photo. What a lovely child. Bless her.
ReplyDeleteWe agreed as a family not to give each other gifts on birthdays or Christmas. Except something edible - cake, cookies or drinks - but not too expensive. As you say, we are fortunate not to need anything.
I confess to not knowing what a water bra is. I'm too ashamed to Google it.
God bless you and your family, Mevely.
How can I put this? Imagine, if you will, a certain elderly lady trying to "contain herself" with undergarment inserts containing oil and water. Oh, how we laughed and laughed.
DeleteOooooowwww !!!!! Instead of handkerchiefs ... and other things some women hide in their bras! I once lost my car keys in there.
Deletemy dad LOVED hankercheifs, a package of 5 or 10 sent him over the moon, he carried one or two with him every where he went and used them, the more he had the happier he was. I had to hang them on the clothes line and IRON every one of them. back then there was no wrinkle free, all cotton wrinkled.
ReplyDeleteI looked up water bra and had no idea they exist. now I know.. ho ho ho
Our fathers were so much alike! I remember "sprinkling" them, then feeling so proud when my mother allowed me to iron each.
DeleteMevely; another thought came to mind ... about handkerchiefs.
ReplyDeleteOn TV and films whenever a woman starts crying a man always takes out a CLEAN handkerchief out of his pocket and hands it to her. I always wondered; do men carry spare handkerchiefs for this occasion? Because I don't. Should I?
Also, what happens to the handkerchief once it is used by the woman? Is it returned as it is, or does she wash it at home and return it by post? Or does she keep it?
What do you advise a confused gentleman who does not know what to do? Should I carry paper handkerchiefs? Quilted or just plain? Scented or not scented? Lavender scent? Vanilla? Garlic?
God bless.
Great questions, Victor -- I never thought about that! Personally, I'd go for vanilla. Or garlic.
DeleteSanta and crew certainly put a smile on my face today, Myra! Danny and I don't exchange gifts at Christmas, either. Spending time with family is the best gift of all. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteIndeed, Martha. Family is the best!
DeleteMy family had a hard time when I suggested we not give gifts to ourselves but to charity instead. They insisted there was no fun in that so we all decided to go ahead with our gift exchange and also give something to the charity of our choice. That is what we still do. Everyone has plenty but gifts are a big part of Christmas and always will be. Enjoy your Christmas with your family! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteSomething for everyone. Thank you for sharing your own experience, Ma!
DeleteTroy makes a great Santa!! The family quit exchanging gifts a few years ago. We have grown to 29 with a new baby coming in May. WOW. We have an extended family party every year and enjoy the fellowship of being together. Although, we all still give gifts to the little ones!!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to welcome a new baby next Spring! You're right, gifting should be all about the little children.
DeleteGOOD ONE!!! Especially Love the Troy/ship story. And I have had more misses than hits also. Love you lady and hope you have the BEST Christmas season ever...Love from Florida
ReplyDelete💛
DeleteAdorable picture of Santa Troy! I love this post so much. I am a giver...I love to gift others but don't care to receive. I honestly feel the same as Troy....We live in a world were so many of us are able to go out and purchase, not only our needs, but things we want. Now that we have 3 young great grands, it would fine with me to just buy for them and to spend the time watching the joy on their faces...
ReplyDeleteYes, exactly!
DeleteMerry Christmas to you and your family. We did cut back on the out of town people. We still like to do a lot for our kids/spouses and James. However I think we will cut back next year. I can't really think of a time when I didn't like what I received.
ReplyDeleteGift giving isn't the same as it used to be, for sure. Having littles makes a difference. They do bring joy to Christmas mornings. We had a neighbor when we were growing up who gave us the silliest gifts. She thought the gifts were perfect for us... but they were awful and we did giggle about them (not in front of her). We actually looked forward to the fun each year, but loved her for loving us!
ReplyDelete