Wednesday, July 23, 2025

A Cheerful Herald


LOL ...
I resemble that remark!




I don't know if 'fascinated' is the right word, but I enjoy watching our neighbors -- both the young family with Hallmark Channel good looks and the older couple who religiously walk their dogs past our front window each morning.


Chances are, when I hear the throaty growl of Young Mister's truck, our girls have already been out to do their 'thing.'  That doesn't stop me from peeking outside.

And if more minutes pass than what's his normal departure window, I wonder -- have they overslept?  Is the baby all right?  How's his digestive system this morning?

Isn't there something more productive I could be doing?
Do I need this shirt?







Max Lucado writes, "Call us a fast society, but don't call us a personal society."  He continues,
"We're set up for isolation.  We wear earbuds when we exercise; we communicate via e-mail and text messages."


Thanks to my once/weekly Bible study and social media I'm actually okay with that.
Is isolation a bad thing?  Maybe boundaries is a better, softer word.



I've fond memories of one elderly man I'd pass each weekday on my way to work.  Steadying himself on an aluminum walker with one hand, he'd wave to commuter traffic with the other.
I called him the Cheerful Herald.



The parochial school catty-corner from our home will soon begin Fall classes.  I've thought about warming the "thinking bench" and waving to the commuters, but probably haven't the nerve.

No, I'll wait 'til it's time for my own aluminum walker and be content waving to y'all.



What interactions -- if any -- do you enjoy with your neighbors?


🙋‍♀️
Hugs, Myra








38 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful dresser! And I love her crazy pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even notice the dresser until you said something!

      Delete
  2. The ‘Cheerful Herald’ made me smile what a sweet reminder of simple human connection

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find absolutely no enjoyment with neighbors, especially if they live five feet away. That's why I now have a home on two acres in the woods of Tennessee. Rural life isn't easy at times, but I'm absolutely delighted having blessed peace and privacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might seem harsh, but I value my privacy. There are certainly some good neighbors - - but not often. Jon

      Delete
    2. Not so harsh, Jon. In this season of our lives, like Burger King we can have it "our way."

      Delete
  4. We have good neighbors here who are very friendly.
    They always have a cheerful wave and a smile. I don't look out the windows, but watch them from the porch. We have a front and back porch. From the front porch I see the people, but from the back porch I commune with nature. I do believe in boundaries and respect others Sometimes it's just good to be by myself. I think we need a balance of both. Hope you can get out and enjoy these beautiful summer days! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. There isn't much we can see from our house with regards to neighbor's activities, but we still find ourselves doing the exact same thing from time to time. I chalk it up to being curious.
    Have a blessed day, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gurl…. you would have a blast watching one of my neighbors across the street. This is a very nice home but the owners lease it out. A man and his wife live there but they sub lease two of the bedrooms out to single people. The wife never comes out of the house.. Oh wow!! too much to comment . I really need to write a blogpost on this couple! lol. My precious neighbor on the side of me ..she and I have had many laughs!! hope your day is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do! There's could be the germination of a new sitcom ... or murder mystery?

      Delete
  7. It seems to me with the more communication devices we have - cell-phones, IPADs, social media - and so on the more isolated we've become. People in the street rarely say hello or good morning. But then, I find it's the same in church. We have a traditional "sign of peace" to each other. The congregation either shake hands with the person next to them or wave to each other. But I bet you they don't know each other and just rush home when Mass is over. But then ... so do I

    What a hypocrite I am.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're a hypocrite then so am I. A few years ago Pastor Janet began something called "Pass the peace." Something about forced congeniality just rubs me the wrong way.

      Delete
    2. You said my thoughts, Mevely. Thank you.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. I am so guilty of being Mrs. Kravitz. I too watch the parade of dog walkers past my "office" and in the summer time the kiddos from down the street zooming by on their scooters. It truly is my "Window on the World".
    I had to laugh when thinking about talking to our neighbors. Yesterday we were out checking our sprinkler system on the side of the house. Our neighbor Mike was working on something on the other side of the fence. We chatted and caught up on life without actually seeing each other. It kind of reminded me of the old TV show, Home Improvements and the conversations with Wilson. One never saw anything but the top of his head.
    I am very thankful for the Blog and some of social media. It does keep me in tough with my little corner of the world.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! That was a great show.
      I'm so thankful for you and my other blog buddies!

      Delete
  9. I have so many trees in my front, I have to walk out to the yard to peek 👀 as to what’s happening and therefore I can’t hide behind a curtain. So I send my husband instead. We sit in our front patio every morning starting from 5:30 am and drink our coffee. I see the Dawn- walkers and the Dog walkers. It’s nice to see the same people early morning. We wave or they wave and that’s enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely ritual, Debby. Early morning is the best part of the day!

      Delete
  10. We are in very unusual housing. We don't see or hear our neighbors - glad you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny, Myra...I was just thinking about this myself, and I will probably include it in my next post...we've had a week of window peeping. I may wait a few more days on that one, because there may be more activity in the neighborhood soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just came from your blog ... exciting times, indeed! Please keep us updated, Pam.

      Delete
  12. We get a kick out of wondering what our neighbor will do next! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our neighbors now mostly don't want to interact. I would rather they smiled and waved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I am in the front yard I wave to every single car that passes, whether they are neighbors, delivery people, or workers. I live in an area of cul de sacs and anyone coming into this section has to pass my house, hence my waving at everyone.
    I have some really good neighbors that we interact with, and other I hardly know at all. I guess that is the way of the world now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice! My mother always said, "It doesn't cost a dime."

      Delete
  15. Y'all don't wave? We wave here. And a smile too. That also includes passing folks on the road. Pierce County (Georgia) is super friendly if nothing else. Most here wave. I like that. After awhile you'll even get an invite to whatever Church we/they are attending. I like that too.
    Blessings to you all. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wave to all the neighbors on Ginfield Loop ... does that count?

      Delete
  16. When the time comes I'll paint my walker PINK. Just because I like pink. Checking on the neighbors is one reason I love setting at my kitchen table in front of the BIG window, not nosy, just checking...((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just checking" is a good thing! Imagine if a crime were to happen and the police had no leads? (*grinning*)

      Delete
  17. I told my neighbor across the street that I don't want to be a Mrs. Kravitz and look out the windows when I hear something or someone! We laughed. I get what you are saying!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We live out in the country and my closest neighbor is our daughter and family and I love watching them when they are outside. Liked your post, I would love you as a neighbor. Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!