Tuesday, February 25, 2025

Tuesday thoughts

 


Strike up the band!
... it's a new day in the hood!



5 hours and 3 cups of coffee later, I'm struggling to rein my thoughts -- re. the new Remarkable book I just finished AND Bible study -- into something both meaningful and concise.
And coming up empty.
(How's that for a poor run-on sentence?)

Bits and pieces of thoughts feel like (what someone said) "a snow globe in the hands of a toddler."


How about I just share a few glimpses of life in and about central Alabama and see where this goes.


After several postponed dates, my son and DIL were able to meet us at Long Horn the other afternoon -- a joint celebration of Lois' and Tom's February birthdays.  For all the yakking, I totally failed to get pictures.   Nevertheless, Lois and I loved our salmon and "double broccoli", while the men enjoyed their beef.  (Real food for Real People!)   In spite of our intentions to treat, my sneaky son even picked up the tab.  How they spoil us old folk!


Later, Tom wanted to stop at Wal-Mart.  I'm like, "We don't need any more towels!" but bless his heart, he has a 'thing' for new kitchen towels.  Gotta pick my battles! 
 
What's is it about manufacturers' including a snow-white one in the middle.  Not once, but twice.  Am I the only one who, no matter what laundry detergent I use, is loathe to wipe my hands on that one?  Does anyone else keep a ratty old one at the ready?   Our kitchen may not be HGTV-ready, but it's lived in.

  

I was sore afraid I'd have to miss yesterday's study.  Amazingly, however, Tom's pain management appointment happened almost on time, allowing me to arrive at fellowship only 10 minutes late.  (Aside: some of you may recognize the sarcastic "only."  Like Terri, I've always subscribed to the theory, "If I'm on time, I'm late.")    After almost 7 years, I still have to pinch myself realizing what a sisterhood we share.  


So, tomorrow Tom turns 83!   We no longer celebrate birthdays in grand fashion, but I'm still waiting for him to tell me what he'd like to eat ... and where.   As long as it doesn't involve a certain fast-food establishment or driving after dark, I'm good.   I'd still like to find a bakery selling his fresh German chocolate cake.


This is the scratch version I made a few years ago.
One and done!



Meanwhile ...
there's rainbow peppers growing old in the crisper.  I'm going to saute the lot of them with yellow onion, chicken broth, Ro-tel and sausage and see what happens.

'Wishing y'all a blessed day!





 
Hugs, Myra














32 comments:

  1. Gotta tell me what that fantastic book is...
    3 cups of coffee and I would be buzzing around the ceiling.
    Happy Birthday to your hubby and I hope you have a good dinner where ever you go. Tom has caught up with Dave. He turned 83 the first day of January.
    Thanks for your care and concern for Dave. I will do a follow up blog tomorrow but he is doing well and actually slept last night. Its amazing how much better things look after a decent night's sleep.
    Love your Tuesday Thoughts.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. HaHa..I just remembered to say how much I loved that description of life ... like a snow globe in the hands of a toddler..too true !!
      Sue

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad to hear Dave's feeling better! My next post will be about the book that put my head spinning.

      Delete
  2. Great statement...life is like a snow globe in the hands of a toddler! Happy Birthday to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great one? I borrowed from Jennifer Rothschild.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Tom!!! Whatever y'all decide to do to celebrate, Myra, I know it will be special for the both of you. And my mind has those snow globe days, too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a lot of birthdays and anniversaries in February. Happy Birthday Tom! 🎂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 83 to Tom, and yay for son picking up the tab. glad you made it to the class and I am the same, I am always 10 to 20 minutes before its time to start. I am about to finish a David Baldacci and was so upset, I put myself on the waiting list at the library, kindle version for Baldacci and Childs new Reacher, about 6 months ago. got the email and 2 days in to that one got the email Reacher was ready, I had to put myself back to next in line, should get it again next week.
    about the kitchen towels. I buy white, and white for bathrooms so I can wash them all together and bleach them. I do have what used to be colored and flowers and stuff kitchen towels but they get bleached and over time faded. I keep them until strings fall off the edges. I use them to put on the floor for the drool machine to drip his water on, they all go in one washer load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know what books those are, and how you like them!

      Delete
  6. My brain is doing the same thing...for the life of me I CANNOT make it give me coherent thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad these days are few and far between. Sleep helps.

      Delete
  7. I am impressed with your son grabbing the check. My sons all seem to have Tyrannosaurus Rex arms when we go out together. But after the check is taken care of they all "meant" to get it.
    Happy Birthday to Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mevely - happy birthday to Tom tomorrow - can you believe mine is Thursday. And we are going to Longhorn and I am having the salmon.
    Not with you guys on the towel fetish - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your Longhorn experience is delicious, from start to finish. Happy Birthday, Sandie!

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday Tom. Best wishes and prayers to you and Myra (Mevely). Many happy returns filled with good health and whatever you desire. I'll drink a Guinness in your honour followed by a whisky in my honour.

    It's great to have met with your son and DIL, Mevely. It's always great to be with family. Thankfully, mine is close at hand.

    Your recipe at the end sound tasty. What is Ro-tel? Haven't seen it here.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers and well wishes! Ro-Tel is a canned staple of diced tomatoes and green chilis ... not for the faint of heart!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday to Tom, and I'm so glad you have your study group. That's a priceless gift. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Tom. If we lived near, I would make him a homemade German Chocolate cake...this was my moms speciality and I love making them because it reminds me of her. Glad you all finally were able to have that meal at Longhorn..and hey, what a blessing that it was paid for.. I can not only do with one dish towel, I usually end up messing up 2 or 3...Plus paper towels..lol. Hoping you all get some of this warm weather we are having this week...take care and again HB to Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya ... I should buy stock in Bounty paper towels!

      Delete
  12. You know Betty Crocker and/or Duncan Hines have a great German Chocolate cake mix, and they also make a reasonably good canned frosting for it. It's easy to make and better than nothing! I rarely have ever made a cake totally from scratch, except for special ones like my sister's oatmeal cake, or my MIL's pound cake. I normally always use a mix for birthday cakes, although my DIL Rose has taught me how to make a great buttercream frosting, so now I do that instead of the canned frostings.
    Oh, that salmon sounds so good. I'm wanting some so much, but hubby doesn't like it and so I don't cook it, and we don't go out to eat where they serve it often (too expensive, as you know!) So I save it up for those special times when that might happen! Happy Birthday to Tom. I do hope you are doing something fun today to mark the occasion. White dish towels are a no no, although I agree with MadSnapper that they can be bleached. But still...I prefer towels that don't show stains. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations, Pam! Would you believe, we went back to LongHorn and yes, I had another order of salmon. Like John, Tom's not so fond of it so I don't make at home.

      Delete
  13. Glad they were able to meet you for lunch. I always try to eat salmon when I'm out. That was sweet of them to treat. I am a huge kitchen towel collector. Glad you made it to your study. I hope his birthday goes well today. Happy Birthday Tom! Yum, what you are going to make with those peppers sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby! Since we don't have a Portillo's here in Alabama, I'm going to try to replicate their sausage and peppers sandwich.

      Delete
  14. Although Tom was a War baby he is still cute!!!! and just a kid. LOL Enjoyed the visit to your house and loved to see the rack of instruments, noticed two of the sax! I wish I could still distinguish between the sounds.
    Glad you had a good dinner, LongHorn is a good place for sure. I know I like steak, but Salmon is my next choice..
    Love from NC for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! You made Tom chuckle with the "War baby."

      Delete
  15. Happy birthday to Tom! I'm so glad they were able to meet y'all for lunch and a side of double broccoli sounds good to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to your Tom!!! He would go nuts in my kitchen. My towels are so "well-used" that I should be embarrassed. Long Horn is a great place to eat, indeed! I'm trying to catch up!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!