Saturday, July 27, 2024

Off the top of my head

 


G'morning friends,

How the heck are ya? 
It's been a busy, albeit boring kind of week:  filling (more) boxes to take to the thrift shop, repacking Christmas-y decorations ... honestly, wondering why I ever thought all this 'stuff' was necessary to my wellbeing.

Today seems like a fine time to borrow a prompt or two.


Out my window?

At least these (fungi?) are enjoying the wet weather.  This is the first I've seen in 6 years ... mildly concerned one of the girls might fancy a bite.
We seriously need to get out there between rain showers -- or lease a herd of goats.



Grateful
The  girls' vet doesn't think Macie's ragged cough is anything more troubling than allergies.  Just in case, we've begun giving her steroids and antibiotics.  Caring for two sure isn't easy on the bank book, but we're determined to do whatever it takes to keep them healthy.



Enjoying
Tom's interest in eating 'out' each week.  I'd never tried Thai food, but was relieved when he said, "Sure!"  ... even better, than he enjoyed it.  (My track record for suggestions hasn't been optimal.) 

Perhaps it was my choice (beef and cashews), but I couldn't tell much difference between it and Chinese.   Thinking I need to try, try again.



In the kitchen?
Lots of take-out fried chicken (him), salads (me) ... provided they're the Green Leaf variety. 

Does anybody actually eat Spring mix on purpose?

 
I'm collecting lots of yummy recipes on FB, but they all call for oven-time.  That's not happening until the temperature outside drops below my age!



Pondering
Having my ears re-pierced.  After retiring, I didn't often bother with earrings.  Then come the pandemic, not at all.   I'm not a big fan of jewelry, but it seems a shame having a few 'good' pieces just taking up space in a box.



Loving
These two celebrating their anniversary week.
July 24, 1992 and again last July 28 when they renewed their vows in Santa Fe.






Finally, a thought:
Borrowed, in part, from what a friend's cousin wrote:

" ..... not what St. Paul famously mentions ('I have learned to be content ...') because this isn't learned.
It's developing free of my supervision.
The unwinding, a quiet letting go of coiled springs of youth and middle age with their loud, demanding voices.  Ambition, dreams, discipline, acquisition, fear, the imagined life.
It happened; I don't know when."



I loved that.  Love y'all!

Hugs, Myra





 





28 comments:

  1. so glad the twins are ok, sorry about the cost and the meds.. glad its allergies and sad that it is also.
    I have never eaten spring mix intentionaly or even unintenionaly and also have throw iceberg lettuce out then read that when it is wilted use it in stir fry. now i never toss the wilted out. bob loves ice berg and hates the leaf but i did buy one last week, post coming soon. i will try it in stir fry and hope i don't ruin the stir up.
    taking a couple of days off, sun/mon hope to be back on tuesday. i have to pick fungi because beau eats any and all things. darn avocado is dropping little ones and his stomach is not happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom's fav is iceberg, too. Good to know about using it in stir fry!

      Delete
  2. Troy and Lois make a handsome couple, Myra! Sometimes it's good to be willing to try something new in the restaurant department, although we've been more than disappointed in some we've tried. It's extra difficult since Danny is such a wonderful cook.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend's cousin hit the nail on the head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we are stuck in a rut and of course since our "financial reversal" we haven't been eating out. I do love to try new things, flavors and places. Hubby not so much so its dull a lot of the times.
    Glad you Ladies are getting better and hope the meds will do the trick.
    Spring mix is DEFINITELY NOT my choice. Its like eating prickly weeds. Love the quote about throwing it out. Yah, that's me to a tee.
    Go ahead and re-pierce those ears. I think they dress up even your work in the yard clothes. I put simple hoops in my ears every morning. I feel naked without them.
    Love the ending quote too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeds, exactly! That's what Tom calls it. 😁

      Delete
  5. I eat iceberg lettuce and fresh spinach almost every day, with a sprinkling of shredded cheese, maybe some craisins, fritos, sliced apple, and/or any meat I have that would be suitable (deli ham, cooked leftover chicken, taco meat). That's my favorite lunch, which Marie's Cole Slaw Dressing! It works for me! I don't like spring mix or any other bagged salad mixes. Spinach is hard enough to keep fresh, but I also use it in scrambled eggs w/shredded cheese for a quickie omelette. Also put it in chicken quesadillas, which we are having for supper tonight. Love seeing your adorable "kids". Happy Anniversaries to them! Hope your doggies are okay. They sure are cuties. I know how attached we all are to our "grand" pups here, Sugar and Spice, and I know it would be really hard for all of us if anything happens to them, so I don't think about that. (((hugs))) Have a blessed weekend. Oh, we don't go out much anymore. We did go to breakfast one day this week after going to have lab work done early in the morning. I enjoyed my bacon and eggs and hashbrowns and toast. John had eggs, sausage and biscuits and grits. That was a nice treat for a change. Okay, gotta run. We are having a humdinger of a storm right now, with lots of lightning and thunder and RAIN on Still Waters Pond! Yay! Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fresh spinach, too. Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat 'out.'

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness - you and me with all the stuff - things I thought I had to have - why?
    I hope your doggies are okay - I am like you - we did everything we could for our Disco.
    So you and hubs go to a different restaurant to go out to eat each week - sounds interesting.
    I HATE SPRING MIX - or shall I say mini trees. It's like the Emperor Who Wore No Clothes!
    Happy anniversary to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much different restaurants each week, but it seems my curiosity sets us up for disappointment more often than not.

      Delete
  7. Love that too!! I really need to begin a purge, room by room and just do it. Good for you getting it done! I don't care for spring mix either but do mix it with iceberg when I need a big bowl for company. Not bad mixed up with lots of other goodies. Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dunno what Spring Mix is. Maybe that's a good thing? *lol*
    Happy Anniversary to the kids. May they be blessed with many more years.
    I've been purging for quite awhile. It feels great to do so. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring Mix? Tell you what. I've yard work to do tomorrow, so I'll gather the clippings and send your way.

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary to Troy and Lois and best wishes to you and Tom.

    I'm not too adventurous with foods - OK with curries and Italian but that's about it. Normally I have proper food like KFC and Guinness; and sometimes burgers and French fries. The French are really clever to have invented French fries - better than snails I think.

    Keep smiling always and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll happily give you my french fries. Now I'm craving escargot!

      Delete
  10. I've had Thai food but it's been awhile. May have to try it again! Me - I love food period. It's my big down fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I was really hoping Thai would be spicier. Any suggestions?

      Delete
  11. Good for you taking things to the thrift shop. I went through my Christmas when I packed things up and got rid of a lot but I still have way to many things. Hope Macie feels better soon. Glad you enjoyed your meal out. I do enjoy wearing small earrings. I never take them out except to clean them. Sweet picture, Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually like the spring mix, smiles...and I also have been cleaning out my closet. I have 2 holes in each year and wear 1 set of diamond earrings always and change out the other with whatever I am wearing that day. I hope Macie gets to feeling better my friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog posts are always showing up late on my readers list.
    Ear piercings are nice, but don't get your nose pierced. My paternal grandmother had pierced ears. They fascinated me as a child.
    If the temperature drops below my age.....we're having a heat wave. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      If I ever get anything pierced beside my ears I hope someone shoots me.

      Delete
  14. I love that quote too! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!