Good morning!
As we've absolutely nothing on our agenda, I thought it fun to join with Sam n' company. You know, 'She says, we say!'
This week's prompts come from Linda Ronstadt's 1978 hit, Back in the USA. Unfamiliar with the song? Hear it here.
😎
This song lists seven cities: New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge and St. Louis that Linda just loves. How many have you visited?
All of them, actually.
The only two in which I've spent any time, however, are NYC and LA.
The lyrics refer to hamburgers sizzling on the grill. What toppings do you believe make a perfect burger?
While at home, I'm happy with grilled onion and mayo. Once in a while I'll add an 'over easy' egg.
My restaurant favorite features bleu cheese crumbles and purple onion slices. Extra points for leaving the jar of mayo on the table!
The original recording on this song by Chuck Berry has always been one of Linda Ronstadt's favorites, one she used to enjoy singing along with in the car. What's the most recent song you sang?
Our Food Outlet (grocery) has the best soundtrack! I even delayed check-out yesterday morning so I could finish accompanying Phil Collins on "Against all Odds."
Linda performed The National Anthem at Game 3 of the 1977 World Series. The New York Yankees won both that game and the series. How is your baseball team doing this season?
I'm not a fan at all.
On the sleeve for this record, Linda was photographed on roller skates. Emergency rooms report a spike in wrist injuries, with people falling off skates and skateboards and jamming their wrists catching softballs. Have you recently been to the Emergency Room or Urgent Care?
Not since November, thank goodness.
Despite what's shown on television, it's a sad, soul-less place.
It's July, so summer is in full swing. Bug bites area big summer annoyance. Are you itching and scratching this morning?
Not this morning -- but my arms and feet are an ugly testament to the heinous mosquito. (Don't scratch? Might as well tell me not to breathe.)
Since this is our last Saturday 9 before Independence Day, let's ask some questions related to the holiday.
The Pennsylvania Evening Post was the first newspaper to print the Declaration of Independence. What's the most recent printed media you have read (newspaper, magazine, newsletter, etc.)
People magazine (while waiting at UAB)
In high school, Sam was crazy about American history and got good grades. Science was her worst subject. In high school, where did you shine? In what subject were your grades not so hot.
I loved English and Journalism.
Not so much science or math -- and it showed.
The first 4th of July parade each year is held at 12:01AM in Gatlinberg, TN. Will you attend a parade or fireworks to celebrate the 4th?
I hope not!
In all honesty, I'm not crazy for fireworks. Sad, perhaps, but all I can think about is, how much money are municipalities paying for these huge displays?
Even the 'homemade' versions are apt to traumatize household pets. IMHO little can beat a child with a sparkler.
Americans love to celebrate our independence. In fact, there are more than 30 towns all across the US called Independence. There are two in MN alone -- one outside Duluth, the other west of Minneapolis). Please Google it and let us know: Does your state have an Independence?
Whaddya know!
Independence, AL is but a 30-min drive. Maybe we should load up the dogs and take a drive that way. (Yes, we're regular barrels of fun.)
Wishing everyone a happy holiday weekend!
(85 days 'til Fall!)
Hugs, Myra



You seem to be the only other lady of culture and taste who appreciates an egg on her burger.
ReplyDelete😋
DeleteNope! no Independence in FL or GA. take photos if you hit the AL one. Our Walmart plays early am music that always has me dancing in the aisles. I have been cursing our neighbor the past two nights, both last night and the night before I woke up to rockets going off because Beau was pacing the house. waste of money and upsets ME and the dogs. also our city waste our tax dollars on huge displays then says they can't pick up recycle because they have no money.
ReplyDeletenuff said. Skeeters are heavy here and they love me. all the rain is blessing us but also skeeters love it. I was shocked at my answer to reading printed material, seems I read everything on line. and lucky me have not been in a doc office that I had to wait, but none of them have magazines now. love the photo of the sparklers, I did love those when a child and still would if I had one to light
I had no favorite subject in school, but made good grades in English and World history, Amercian history not so good. math was a fail, no matter what kind it was. I had forgotten Linda Ronstat, and did like her music.
Me, too ... on the math, that is. I suspect all decisions about fireworks (and recycling, too) are all driven by politics. Ugh.
DeleteIn my experience, in school most people are good at either math/science or English/history.
ReplyDeleteInteresting!
DeleteI know what you mean about the fireworks. Our city does not allow individual fireworks, but there are a lot who get them and I hate that. They have a large community event at a park, but the parking is crazy, and the mosquitoes are awful! I like to watch the specials on tv. I do like to decorate my home with patriotic decor from May -Sept.
ReplyDeleteI imagine your neighbors enjoy seeing that!
DeleteGeorgia does not have a city or town named "Independence," believe it or not. I used to love going to fireworks displays, but these days, I'm content to watch on television. Fox News has some great July 4 celebration they're showing this weekend and Monday.
ReplyDeleteLove the photo of grand #2!
Blessings, Myra!
Thanks, Martha! We're going to watch from our recliners in air-conditioned comfort!
DeleteLong ago I used to have a crush on Linda Ronstadt.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to many of your answers. Ironically, my two favorite subjects were English and journalism - and I was completely clueless in math and science.
Hamburgers? I love them with cheddar cheese and onions - - and bacon or mushrooms.
Baseball? I used to be a HUGE fan, but I completely lost interest when they started making radical changes and adding more and more teams. The entire initial concept is ruined.
When I was a kid, I used to be crazy about fireworks - couldn't get enough. Nowadays I can live without them - - too dangerous and annoying.
But I still like sparklers.
Wow, more similarities! You can have my bacon, but mushrooms are a great add!
DeleteI retired from the museum five years ago, but I can tell you that we used to spend $2,500 on Mayfaire Saturday Night's fireworks... 10-15 minutes of booms (and pretty colors). I enjoyed your answers and wish you and Tom a happy 4th weekend. xo
ReplyDeleteGosh, I'd have guessed more ($) than that. Happy 4th, Terri! xo
DeleteHappy 4th of July, Mevely, to you, Tom and your family.
ReplyDeleteI don't mind organised fireworks. We can see them from our house being lit at a park about a mile away; so we don't need to go. Usually on 5 November and New Years Eve, and possibly Christmas too.
But individual household fireworks can be annoying at other times of the year like birthdays or weddings. Who wants to start married life with fireworks? Plenty of time for that later!
Why is it at weddings they have the families of the bride and groom sitting on different sides of the church? With the priest waiting in the middle aisle eyeing which mother-in-law is the ugliest.
Sorry ... my mind wondered into humour just then. Seriously though, I liked your answers. I only saw baseball once when I visited Houston Texas on business. Never understood it. It is now shown regularly on TV over here also NFL football and WWE and AEW wrestling.
God bless.
Hahahaha! I'd no idea you'd visited the states; please tell us more sometime!
DeleteThat would be fun to visit Independence, Alabama! I looked up Independence as a city for Arizona but I couldn't find one; just a high school. I remember sparklers growing up :) So far, knock on wood, there haven't been much fireworks in our neighborhood so I'm hoping maybe no one can afford them (or as many) this year. I haven't been to a 4th of July parade in years but wouldn't go here unless it was at 6 o'clock in the morning, lol. You'll understand why :) I have seen over easy eggs on hamburgers at restaurants but haven't tried it yet. Might have to down the line. Wow, you have been to a lot of cities!! Of that list I've been to Los Angeles and that is about it :)
ReplyDeleteHappy 4th to you, Tom, and the girls :)
betty
Tom saw something on the national news last night, Phoenix isn't hosting any fireworks shows this year -- inventory challenges and finding qualified people to work. Wow.
DeleteI have never had an egg on a hamburger. I may have to try that sometime.
ReplyDeleteTrust me, it's delish!
DeleteThose shorts, those tall sporty knee-socks, that shiny jacket...MEMORIES!
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteI think your drive would be fun to Independence! I enjoy visiting other cities.
ReplyDeleteMy son does not like fireworks either. They are just so loud these days. My dog shakes the whole time.
I love an egg sandwich. I bet I would like the egg on a burger, I have just never tried it. Something for me to try out. Loved your answers! Have a Happy 4th of July!
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Lori. If you do (try the egg) I hope you'll let us know how you enjoyed it!
DeleteI enjoyed reading your answers. I don't usually read my friends post for Saturday 9. Maybe I should give it a try sometime. I have found a product called Original Sarna - camphor 0.5%, Menthol 0.5% External Analgesic Lotion Itch Relief....
ReplyDeleteI will see if I can send you a picture. They have a few other ones but I love this one the best.
Thank you so much!
DeleteYes! I have different favorite burgers that depend on whether it's me cooking it or not. Our Walmart blasts great tunes in the parking lot. Leah and I have been known to sing and dance to them. Well there you go! I vote you guys check out Independence in lieu of parades and fireworks. Happy 4th, Myra!
ReplyDeleteIf there was such a thing, I've a hunch you could win Most FUN Grandma ever!
DeleteHistory has always been one of my favorite subjects but I majored in physics. Much better career choice and I indulge my love of history all by myself. 😊
ReplyDeleteWin-win!
DeleteI detest mosquitos, which is probably because they love me.
ReplyDeleteI think one of the reasons TheHub and I enjoy The Electric so much is in addition to really tasty food they have stellar background music!
Music does contribute to a nice meal!
DeleteI do love history and excelled at it in school too. The only city out of those mentioned that I have visited is Los Angeles. I flew into there when my 2nd son got married, so I didn't see much but the airport. That I know of we don't have an Independence in Ohio. I still have to check that one out. Our fireworks here were last night. I didn't go see them but could hear them when I went to bed. W e do grill out a lot and tonight I'm going to a cook out. Happy 4th of July to you both! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteNot sure why, but I think food done on a grill always tastes better. Enjoy!
DeleteLove Linda Ronstadt.and Phil Collins. Grew up a baseball fan but seldom if ever watch nowadays. hamburgers , rare. want to hear the moo. piled high with bacon, barbecue sauce and blue cheese. Because our mobility is keeping us in place I bought some sparklers to celebrate. Hoping my hand doesn't shake lighting one. HAPPY 4th to you and Tom. ENJOY!
ReplyDeleteYay, someone else who appreciates good beef! So many restaurants these days won't serve their burgers less than medium.
DeleteLOL 80 something day sot fall....it's so humid here in central FL I just want to crawl in a hole and stay there and call me out when the Weather changes, LOL.
ReplyDeleteHave a beautiful July 4th my friend,
🤗
DeleteAs ALWAYS we enjoy the visit. We always smile at the similarity of our thoughts and yous answers. BUT the HB for us must have mayo, lettuce, tomato and possibly onion.... ;-)
ReplyDeleteSorry I forgot it was the 4th, didn't think of fireworks and parades.
BUT I do love the 4th and all that it stands for.
Love you lady.... ;-)
😘
DeleteI had lunch today with my BFF. Very posh restaurant. But they put some kind of mustard tasting sauce on my BLT. Who puts mustard on a BLT?
ReplyDelete