Saturday, July 30, 2022

I Would be



....in Love (Anyway). 
Unfamiliar with this tune?  Hear it here.


Thanks to Crazy Sam for another entertaining round of Saturday 9!   Shall we?



Frank Sinatra sings, "If I knew then what I know now."  If you were giving advice to a recent high school grad, based on that phrase, what would you say?

I'm probably the last person on earth to be giving advice!  Watching my granddaughters, for instance, I think today's young people are much more poised and self-assured (than I was).

How about, just relax!  Don't worry!  You don't have to say 'yes' to the first one who asks you to marry him.



This song is about a man looking back on his marriage, which has ended.  While he is sad, he is not sorry he loved her.  Do you believe that it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?

Oh yes.  Maybe Garth Brooks said it best, "I might have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."



Sinatra married four times.  He met his first wife, Nancy, when he was 19.  He saw a pretty girl sitting on her front porch, giving herself a pedicure; and he rushed home for his ukulele so he could serenade her.  Have you ever sung to anyone?

Do Macie and Gracie count?

Has anyone ever sung to you?

Unfortunately, yes.
I was plucked out of the audience by a cast member from Forever Plaid and serenaded on stage.  Mortified!
(And no, this isn't me in the video!)



According to Barbara, his final wife, they met when they were neighbors in Rancho Mirage, California.  Sinatra had his own tennis court, needed a fourth for doubles with his houseguests, and invited the lady next door to play.  Tell us about your neighbors.

The couples behind us and across the street wave every now and then, but we've never had actual conversations.

I'm a little sad that Pastor Janet and Andy have indefinitely postponed their plans to build next door.  Skyrocketing building costs prompted them to buy a home one street over.



When not performing before an audience or cameras, Sinatra often wore hats and caps because his hair was thin and his toupee annoyed him.  Is there anything you wear for 'dress up' that you're happy to ditch when you go casual?

Now retired, I actually look forward to an opportunity to dress up (at least dress 'nicer').

The only thing I can think of is my rings. It seriously drives me batty if I get water under them, and I won't take them off in public.



Frank had a sweet tooth and to the end of his life, he enjoyed chocolate-covered apricots, ordered from Lepore's in his hometown of Hoboken, NJ.  If you could have any sweet treat right now, what would you request?

Our grocer carries the best white chocolate macadamia cookies!



This song was written specifically for Sinatra by Bob Gaudio, best known as a member of The Four Seasons.  That 1960's quartet is now legendary.  In addition to 25 Top Ten Hits, they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and inspired the Broadway play and movie musical, Jersey Boys.  Do you have a favorite Four Seasons song?

Their's was my very first album!
I just about wore out 'Dawn' ..... and may have had a teeny crush on Bob Gaudio!

'I Can't Take my Eyes Off You' is probably my favorite -- on account it's featured in my all-time Top 10 movies, the emotionally-shattering Deer Hunter.




In 1970, the year this record was released, The Mary Tyler Moore Show premiered.  Were you a fan?

Not especially.  1970 wasn't a particularly pleasant time.  I probably found her perpetual cheeriness a bit much.



Random question:  Have you ever named your car or truck?

Yes.  My high-school ride was Mergatroid -- an ugly red rambler station wagon.  Lately Tom's been calling my Camry the 'old lady.'



How about you?

I'd love to hear your responses to any or all of these!


Hugs, Myra

  



19 comments:

  1. (((grinning)))) I always love your answers...we currently have a Nissan Pathfinder SUV that is black on black and inside is Harley Davidson special ---anyway, I have named her Black Betty after the song Black Betty...yeahhhhhhhhh I might need to explain that LOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of that song, but look forward to hearing your 'splanation sometime!

      Delete
  2. i have not seen the deer hunter, i just checked prime and it is there to rent but not with prime, i saw the date and that is why it is not familar,
    divorced that year and 3 years of crazy after. i love that song and it is one of bobs favorites, he knows all the words and sings it a lot. he also sings sinatras songs that drive me nuts. just think, now you have a big beautiful yard next door and it might be a blessing to not have anyone living next door. i wish we had no one next door or even within a mile. 5 acres with us in the middle is my dream
    the first car I named was bob's blazer, I named it blaze, I named the gmc Jimmy and the 1980 chevy step side pickup we bught for me to drive I named the silver bullet. that truck couod lift the front wheels off the ground and i loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I'd have loved to see that. Ride 'em, Sandra!

      Delete
  3. Yes ... I have often named my car, especially when it does not start on a cold morning. I'd rather not repeat what I named her/him/it.

    I liked Andy Williams version of 'I Can't Take my Eyes Off You'.

    Amazing how certain periods in our lives stand out in our memories. These songs remind me of my radio days.

    What does apricot and chocolate taste like? Seems an odd combination of tastes. Have you tried them?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine! Andy Williams was one of my favorite vocalists. Timeless. Apricot and chocolate sound revolting, don't they? But then, I don't like fruit.

      Delete
  4. That is a disappointment about your pastor/hubby not building so close to you! I know you were looking forward to having them as neighbors, but so true on the cost of building products these days. I think the best advice I would give a high school graduate is the person they are (or their friends) at 18 years old is probably not the person they will be at 25 years old. They'll grow a lot in those 7 years. We used to name our cars, but haven't in a while. Now it is just the "Versa" and the "Rogue" but those are the models of cars we have :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! 25-y/o me bore no resemblance to who I was at 18. I love what Janet said about the lot -- "our kids will want it someday when Andy and I are dancing in Heaven."

      Delete
  5. I thought of "The Dance" when I answered the love question, too, and almost mentioned it. Old Garth knew what he was singing about. Absolutely, yes, singing to Gracie and Macie counts! Being from near Pittsburgh I've seen "The Deer Hunter" many times and I recently purchased a copy from Walmart's bargain bin. I was thrilled to find it. I love the big wedding scene...that's the kind of weddings everyone around here used to have, but those are going the way of the dinosaur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of Garth, but yes. Some of his songs grab you right by the heartstrings. I'd love to attend a wedding like that sometime.

      Delete
  6. I want those cookies, please!! Deer Hunter is such a dark, gut-wrenching movie. I've seen it two or three times. So well done but so hard. I have the DVD. Myra, I loved your answers and am glad you decided to join in!! Still bummed that we didn't get to have lunch on Thursday. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On several occasions I've thought about buying that DVD. Ya, it's hard -- I cry every stinkin' time -- yet I seem to gravitate to those shows that make me FEEL.

      Delete
  7. I do love listening to Frank Sinatra. He had such an appealing voice. I don't remember anyone singing to me but my mom and I sang to my children too. I have a sweet treat every morning. I enjoy my coffee with a couple of donuts! I believe that love is a many splintered thing ! Hope you enjoy a restful, relaxing Sunday ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was never a Sinatra fan. He had a beautiful singing voice....but I think the blue-eyed "legend" is vastly over-rated (should that be hyphened?).

    If I knew then what I know now - - that hit me like a ton of bricks. I could write a book...
    I can't remember ever singing to anyone. I do my best singing to myself in blissful isolation.

    Frank's last wife Barbara eagerly left her husband Zeppo Marx to be with Frank. She was a greedy, dominating woman who - I'm sure - helped put Frank into his grave. Frank could be an SOB, but I think Barbara was worse.

    Anyway that's my two-bits of Sinatra trivia.
    Chocolate-covered apricots? I love apricots and chocolate, but not together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worthy of a chapter or two in your autobiography, perhaps? I never knew that about the widow Sinatra.

      Delete
  9. This post is so interesting. Thanks for sharing all of this information. The song is so nice and I've never heard it before. No I have never named my cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I hadn't heard it before, either!

      Delete
  10. We had a neon blue Dodge Neon haha. My friend Janet at work called her Miss Tootie so I went with that. My lil 2002 burgundy Hyundai had the best acceleration! I received three speeding tickets in that tiny car, "Speed". My 1972 Canary Yellow Dodge Swinger was my fav car. My dad helped me pick it out. It was my "Happy" car. I have a Silver Kia Optima today. It is a sweet lil "Silver Bullet" but I am a real law abider these days! Noelle read SInatra's authorized or maybe not autobiography. I laughed, she was so clueless hahaha. He was a very good person to all his "Rat Pack" pals. He always had Sammy Davis Jr.'s back when he was opted out of the Hollywood in crowd. Sinatra carried lots of clout! I still listen to his music and Dean's too. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!