1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket
(Courtesy Jack at Ship's Log)
Recently, while navigating Montgomery's I-85 I entertained myself watching the array of other vehicles.
When it occurred to me, who names a vehicle after "The City Different" (Santa Fe)? Or 'Brat'?
'Rogue'? That's what my cousin named her first-born -- but who wants to pay thousands of dollars for something named after a trouble-maker? (2: a dishonest or worthless person : scoundrel.)
Nope, I'm remembering names like Fury ... Challenger ... Trail Blazer ... or the Golden Rocket above.
Makes one sit a bit taller behind the wheel, ya know?
I wonder. Do R&E employees have a few drinks, throw names in a hat and have their manager draw one?
Back in 2004 Tom and I were looking at new homes. As sometimes happens, we learned the developer was afforded naming rights to the community's streets.
We came close, real close. But I'm counting my lucky stars we didn't wind up with an address on 'Hamster Lane.' (True story.)
Frivolity aside. Most of my life I've been fascinated with names; and, in fact, wrote my Home Economics final on that very subject.
I think Sean Dietrich said it best:
"Personally, I've always thought a name was one of the most important elements of a person's jumpstart in life. Your name is the first thing anyone will ever say about you. Your name is the last thing that will be ever be written about you.
You will go through some very hard times in life no matter who you are, no matter what circumstances you come from. Your life at some point is going to suck. Within these darkened hours, your name will sometimes be one of the only things you have left.
A name will outlive you for generations. A name is one of the only tangible parts of yourself that people will still be using, long after your remains are dust."
How about that?
G'evening now ... hugs!
Myra


How about the Edsol, or the Studebaker? I agree, your name is your identity label. I had a hard time giving up my maiden name...it was who I was for all my first part of my life. I didn't want to give up who I was in my mind, but I didn't want to be hyphenated either. But with Facebook, it is appropriate to put our maiden name in the middle so people who knew us way back then can figure out who that funny looking wrinkled old person is in the pictures. LOL. Yeah, we need to keep our names because our faces and bodies change, but our name is written down in glory!! BTW, I never saw one of those Golden Rockets...but then again, I was only 6 when it came out. I'm surprised you can remember it. LOL. Enjoyed this, as always.
ReplyDeleteActually, no. I don't remember that -- but would love to own one today. Can you imagine the looks?!
DeleteI do so love what Sean said about the legacy of a name, Myra. I used to hate the fact that my parents called me by two: Martha Jane. But, hey, we were transferred from haughty New England to the downhome South, and here is where my name fits perfectly! I'm really proud of the duality now, especially since I was named for both my mom's and dad's sisters respectively. I have a lot of legacy on my shoulders!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Legacy on your shoulders -- I love that! BTW, one of the prettiest babies I ever saw is named Jane Martha. And yes, she's called by both names!
DeleteSince I share a name with billions of other females I have long since come to terms with being less than memorable. But I am Annie (my grandmother name) to the only one who I care to remember me as time and I pass.
ReplyDeleteI love to read Sean's writings!
😊
DeleteSome people have interesting names that (somehow) match their eventual occupation. I know a Doctor called Penny Cellin and an undertaker named Doug M Deep.
ReplyDeleteThere's a tobacconist nearby called Nick O'Teen and a greengrocer called Ava Carrott. In Edinburgh, Scotland, I know someone whose wife is Italian. They opened a pasta restaurant. His name is Mc Aroni.
God bless.
Your imagination knows no bounds, Victor. Love it!
Deletereading the comment above brought back memories from the year i worked telephone catalog sales. a man called in gave his name, I placed the order and said to the girl next to me, i am checking this name in the phone book. i think he made it up. the name was Peter Perfect. it was there in black and white. what was his mother thinking? who knows. I do not like my middle name, it was my mothers middle name, and as much as i did not like it, Lucille was better than Mary. she was Mary Lucile, but went by Cille.
ReplyDelete"Cille", I like! I'm really surprised that man didn't have his name legally changed.
DeleteSo true our names are important. They do stick with us all through life. I sometimes wonder what some people are thinking when they name their children, but cars are another thing all together. I gave my car a name and talk to her often.
ReplyDeleteI do have a name but most of the time I'm known as 'Ma'. Take good care and enjoy these fall days!
That's precious!
DeleteGreat post and by the way thank you for introducing me to Sean. I now follow his blog and love reading his posts. He is always so encouraging.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great day!
I'm so glad you enjoy him, too!
DeleteAhh you struck a cord (BTW, thanks for the shout-out). Locally we had a man named Jessie James Gibby, he lived up to the name and was in the paper many times in the local line ups.
ReplyDeleteBut Auto names have always struck me of course, but the Cord has always got me, I love it. I was surprised when I learned there was a Rockne, it did not go over well.
Anyway fascinating read as always. I once planned a subdivision (that fell thru) but naming the streets was a dilemma. Oddly yesterday in the basement I ran across the official drawing, son Mark was managing the plans and had named one cul de sac 'Dillon Court' after his son Matthew Dillon.
Anyway County regulations prevents duplication of names of new streets. In the future it will be tough because Oak and Maple streets are in about every community. LOL
Love it.
Sherry & jack over here getting antsy to hit the road.
Interesting! That's quite a coincidence, you coming across that drawing yesterday. Have you thought about having it mounted and professionally framed?
DeleteI doubt that my name will be remembered much after Andy and Kaitlin are gone, and that’s fine. Living fully In the present is what I care about.
ReplyDelete🤩
DeleteI do love Sean Dietrich and agree with what he wrote and you quoted. Names are interesting and I sometimes wish I had started a journal collection of names I've heard or seen (or met!). Interesting! xo
ReplyDeleteNow there's a novel thought!
DeleteI never thought that I'd come to the point in life where I'm so frazzled and mind-numbed from problems that I can hardly remember my own name.
ReplyDeleteI was initially John jr. - named after my father. I loathed him so much, and disliked the "junior" stigma,so when I was sixteen I changed my name to Jonathan.
I much prefer Jon to John. No regrets.
Your last sentence says it all! Thumb's up.
DeleteOh what is in a name? My middle older brother and sister and I are named after relatives. Edward after our dad, Mary after our paternal grandmother and me, both aunts from both sides of our phamily. I worked with a nurse who once dated a pilot who's name was Richard Head! We will not even wonder if they called him by a nickname!!! I had a really good friend Dennis Fitzsimons who married Laurie Glasscock who attended high school with my husband Avery. Oh my goodness! My late MIL was legally Nelly Rita.Our oldest child and youngest child have the same initials NCR (National Cash Register) lol.My oldest nephew Gary is 5 years younger than me and 6' 3" and has been called Little Gary since he was a little kid! My first car purchase was a canary yellow Dodge Swinger (1972) My dad found it for me and paid the down payment. I was not! But when my brother Ed bought a newer car I inherited his 1964 Chevy Impala, cherry red with a white hard top V8 and 340 horsepower! OH man I loved that car but dad sold it to my great cousin Mike B. He recently sent me a photo of it. Ah...memories. I always felt grateful my mom did not name me Frances after her baby sister that passed away and my sis Mary was happy that she was not named for the firstborn girl Agnes that also passed away. I always wished my mom had named me Josie after her baby sister. My auntie Jo was so beautiful and such a kind and caring person. HUGS to you- I sure loved this.
ReplyDeleteI know I talk too mucj. hahaha. My mom had a sister named Rosie (Rose)too. I would have loved that as my Tata Rpse was my grandma's baby sister too and I could have had a double cool name for both of them. SPeaking of cool names, my nephews Josh's sister-in-law Sarah had a baby girl Emersyn Jeanne on October 2 the same birthday as her big brother Jack! Jeanne is Sarah's mom's name. Can you say Jeanne was a super proud grandma? Zach and Rebekah went to Michigan this past weekend. I knew that twin sister of his was not going to have that baby on their weekend trip. hahaha Master Jackson Reed waited until October 5 (OUR SIL Jake's birthday) to shine. He was born three days after big sister Charlotte Rose's 2nd birthday!Avery had an army green Dodge Monaco(1973) when we firdst married. He was so royal and regal. You really have me going on this now.I do like my name, simple as it may be and very Catholic too. HUGS and LOVE
ReplyDelete