Wednesday, October 20, 2021


Welcome to Wednesday Hodgepodge!   As ever, thanks to Joyce for posing questions each week.

Click here, if you'd like to play along ... there's plenty of time!



Do you (or did you used to ) watch talk shows?  Which are -- or were -- your favorite?

I've not watched a 'talkie' since Johnny Carson retired.  Aside from the occasional Hoda and Jenna segment -- or a Newsmax op-ed -- I avoid (what passes for) late-night entertainment like the plague.



Would you describe yourself as resilient?  If so, what do you think makes you that way?  If you answered 'no' explain why.

Absolutely. I won't speak of it -- but there have been times in my life I refused to let the dragon win.


Despite the scars, I've always thought the alternative was unacceptable.



What parts of life have surprised you the most?  Explain.

Every day's an adventure!



Why do you live where you live?

Given our ages and health issues, proximity to my son -- and his unconditional support -- is priceless.  

Humidity aside, if I knew how comforting it feels to live in the Southlands I'd have high-tailed it here sooner!



A memory from this week that made you smile?

There's little to smile about this week (just keeping it real).  So I went scrolling through the archives, back to 2010.


Neither Debbie or I really know our way around the kitchen. But when she and Carl came to visit, someone suggested making a chocolate crockpot cake.

Much hilarity ensued and -- in spite of ourselves -- it was delicious!




Insert your own random thought here.

Some of you may have seen this -- what I posted on FB a few days ago.  I needed to see this; perhaps someone else will, too.


Kurt Vonnegut tells his wife he's going out to buy an envelope: "Oh", she says, "Well, you're not a poor man.  You know, why don't you go online and buy an hundred envelopes and put them in the closet.?"

And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope.

I meet a lot of people.  And see some great looking babies.  And a fire engine goes by.  And I give them the thumbs up.  And I'll ask a woman what kind of dog that is.  And, and I don't know.  The moral of the story is -- we're here on Earth to fart around.

And, of course, the computers will do us out of that.  And what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals.  You know, we love to move around.  And it's like we're not supposed to dance at all anymore.
Let's all get up and move around a bit right now ... or at least dance.






Happy Hump Day!
Hugs, Myra



 


 

40 comments:

  1. "Why do you live where you live?"

    Because my house is here!

    I like your answers, Mevely. And I agree with the sentiments in the FB photo. We need to love each other more in this world.

    Your post today resonates with Jack's reminiscing 50 years on; and the song you mentioned there.

    Sadly, talk shows here in the UK are not worth watching any more. Too many so-called celebrities proving they are talentless idiots.

    Keep smiling and happy. Praying for y'all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no place like home! Indeed, I suspect more emphasis has been placed on like/lust ... even idol worship. Keep praying!

      Delete
  2. I so agree, every day is an adventure. We never know what might happen next! I've lived in the same town since I was born and although I've visited several different places, I choose to stay planted here right where I am. Why? because it is home to me.
    It would be difficult to buy one envelope for sure. The only ones I've seen come in packages. I buy them by the hundreds and have so many I'll never use all of them. I'm so glad you enjoy being where you are at. It was a big move for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you! I hope this was the final move; I wouldn't want to shoulder that task again.

      Delete
  3. I think the last Talk Show I watched off and on was Merv Griffin. Now Sherry will say that was 50 yrs ago. LOL!
    Now, Kurt Vonnegut, I live under a rock and don't know him, BUT I do understand going to a store. Well going to the lumber yard, I love to smell the wood, that is my 'smell the Roses!' Of course I enjoy all your entries (and comments/commenters!) Sending love from over here.
    Sherry & jack in a holding pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot all about Merv. He, and my parent's favorite, Jack Paar. LOVE the aroma of lumber, too.
      ... As much as I do y'all!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my humble opinion, Johnny Carson was the last of the late-night talk show hosts. Nowadays these shows are nothing but biased political platforms.

    Resilient? We're all resilient until the day we croak...
    Why do I live where I live? Because I'd rather be in a place that has a change of seasons than live in a continuously hot hell-hole.

    Buying an envelope? I'd rather shop online than go through the absolute torture of a reality visit to Walmart. To hell with dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra,every time when I recently leave a comment on a blog it comes out twice! I don't know if it's a Blogger glitch or what. I'm sorry about that. I'm unable to delete them.

      Delete
    2. No worries ... I've got that option on this end. I've had that happen to me, too. Blogger's just being a brat.
      Like you, I too, would rather be anywhere than the Arizona desert (aka, Hell hole).

      Delete
  6. Glad you had such a fun time while making that crockpot chocolate cake! Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your answers today and I love your random thought. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grinning...and I am so stealing the wrinkles graphic. I am firm believer in You can either fold up and die or you can keep going. Period. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the fart around thing and i love it and it is me. that is what i do when I go out. Beau loves it. So do I, that is what the pandemic took from me, that love of wandeing around talking and watching strangers live their lives. some day i will get up the nerve to tell WHY i KNOW i have stamina and am resilient...we live where we live because we LOVE FLORDIA. sure there are some things that are hard to love, but would not want to live anywhere else, except another place in FL... Sunshine State is the why of it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for that Facebook post. You're right; it's just what I needed to see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yes to Mr. Vonnegut's quote and that last meme! Amen. Myra, I enjoyed your Hodgepodge answers and am now very curious about that chocolate crockpot cake! Love ya! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If memory serves, I think this is the recipe we used:
      https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-chocolate-lava-cake/4f08a6d7-da83-4aff-b2ee-611d19024f04

      Let me know if you make it!

      Delete
  12. I've never made a crockpot cake, but it sounds intriguing. Thanks for joining the HP this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Joyce! (I shared the recipe link to Terri's comment above.)

      Delete
  13. I used to love all the late-night talk shows, but never watch them these days. Back in the day they poked good humored fun at everyone and you could laugh about it. Now all they do is attack who they don't agree with. It's just mean-spirited whining.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Late night television---THANKS--but NO! Love your answers. I am a student of my fellow man and love to hear what makes them tick. As for this Southern humidity---even living here my entire life--I could do without it! (As a side note it is kinder to the skin than the dry ary)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My son used to compare our Phoenix summers to standing in front of a blast oven.

      Delete
  15. We in the hot humid south are glad you landed here!.
    I liked late night TV when it was entertaining rather than political.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great answers. I love that quote at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't watch late night TV because, frankly, I don't stay up late. However, I do record Gutfeld! every evening so I can watch it the next day. If you haven't seen it, Myra, it's a fantastic and funny show. Loved that Vonnegut piece at the end.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Gutfeld. (Yes, I live under a rock) .... but will be sure to check him out. Thanks!

      Delete
  18. Always enjoy visiting your blog and reading your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this last story was great. I love it! Yes, we need to get up and out and DANCE! Life is TOO short to sit in front of a computer all day or the TV or looking at other people having fun on Facebook. Maybe we are incapacitated in some way and have no other option, but we need to take advantage of every opportunity to get out and smile at the babies and watch the little kiddos playing at the park, or smile at an older person who looks lonely...make someone's day and it will make your day!! I enjoyed your post so much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Apparently, I am an excellent dancer. My falls have been spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Johnny Carson was a classic. Today it is all political garbage and not worth the time I would spend to turn on my TV boob tube.Enjoyed the Vonnegut share too. Thank you. Prayers for Tom and his health.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!