Saturday, March 21, 2020

Saturday 9 .... plus, a Give-away!





This week, Sam's classing up the joint with a well-received box-set of Beethoven's Complete Symphonies by the Danish Chamber Orchestra.
You can listen here.
(Or, not ... lol.)




Beethoven is one of classical music's best known composers.  Do you often listen to classical music?

No(t) willingly.  (*smile*)
But! If you've not seen the movie, Immortal Beloved, I'd sure recommend you do so.   Years ago I had zero interest, no intention of watching it … then wound up loving it.
It's not only a rip-your-heart-out, unrequited love story, but Gary Oldman's portrayal of Beethoven was remarkable.



Though a musical genius, Beethoven never learned to multiply or divide.  When faced with a simple arithmetic problem, do you do it in your head?  Or, do you rely on the calculator in your phone or on your computer?



I usually consult Google Girl or Alexa.



Beethoven bathed often, which was considered 'quirky' for a man of his time.  (Understandable, since you had to heat the water, haul it to the tub, and then empty the tub bucket by bucket when you were done.)  Do you bathe in the morning or in the evening?



I shower in the early evening.



Adam Fischer conducts the Danish Chamber Orchestra for this 5-disc set.  He began his musical career young, when he sang in the children's choir of Budapest's National Opera House.  Have you ever sung in a choir or chorus?



Yes. Our high-school music teacher was young and hip. Almost everyone wanted to be in his choir.  And almost all the girls wanted to be his girlfriend!



Mr. Fischer was awarded the Gold Medal of Arts from the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC.  Tell us about a prize or award you have received. (Yes, that ribbon you earned for penmanship in 2nd grade counts!)

While at summer camp I received (one of) the camp's 'Silver Saddle' ring for Most Improved horsemanship.  Unfortunately, I lost it a few years later (swimming).  After all these years, every now and then I'll check eBay to see if anyone put hers up for sale.






The Danish Chamber Orchestra is beloved in Denmark. When, in 2014, the Danish Broadcasting Company announced it would no longer fund the Orchestra, citizens began a crowdfunding campaign and raised more than $1,000,000 to keep the music playing.  Have you ever contributed to a crowdfunding platform like GoFundMe, Kickstarter or FundRazr?  



Yes





The Orchestra's 'home' is the Royal Danish Conservatory of Music in Copenhagen.  Where were you when you last heard music played live?



We saw the Goat Hill String Band (yeeee-doggie!) last year when they opened for Sean Dietrich.





In 2019, when this boxed set was released, China became the first nation to land a spacecraft on the far side of the moon.  Are you fascinated by stories about space?



Not even a little. I've never watched a single episode of Star Trek or any of the Star Wars movies.





Random question:
Tell us about your week. These are extraordinary times, and it might feel good to share.



Thanks so much for all the birthday love!  My actual birthday Tuesday was pretty low-key.  Rather than go out to eat, we had (more) take-out from Fat Boys BBQ.  Gosh, I behaved like I was trying to consume my own body weight in Camp Stew!

Birthday gift from gal-pal Debbie.
Tom remarked, "It looks like a Santa suit!"

I used 'mad money' from Troy and Lois to order these 'like new' shoes from Etsy.

A few years ago, after having my previous pair re-soled for like the third time, I reluctantly threw them away....  and have regretted it ever since.   If possible, they were even more comfortable than the leggings I've been raving about. The manufacturer has since gone out of business, so I was thrilled to see this pair for less than $50!
Do you think it possible to love an article of clothing too much?

* * *



And now?
In honor of another birthday, I'm having a give-away!

Part of the ticket price to see Sean of the South was a copy of his new book (A Memoir of Learning to Believe You're Gonna Be Okay).  While they had to cancel the tour, Sean autographed copies for each ticket holder, so Tom and I each got one.  And since we don't need two ...  


….. if you'd like a chance to win, please say so in the comments.  That's all.  Easy-peasy!  I'll put everyone's names in my big red hat and have Tom draw for a winner next Friday.


* * *

Let's chat again soon!  
Meanwhile, stay safe ... indoors!

Hugs, Myra  





   



43 comments:

  1. this is in no kind of order, just off the top of my hat, if I had one.
    I thought why is Myra huddled in a santa suit in the middle of summer.
    If I had a room full of toilet paper, and you wanted to torture me to find out where it was, you could put me in a room with Beethoven or any other classical music and I would tell you right away.
    the one Beethoven I loved was that big DOG in the movies.
    I have a calculator on kitchen counter and my deskt and also one on every device. math is not my subject.
    what a deal you found on the shoes. we will chat soon. if I disappear I am in jail because one of us is not going to survive staying home together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too ...lol. Perhaps we could bargain for adjoining cells!

      Delete
  2. I love classical music. Not like all the time, but I do like it, smiles.

    Great birthday gift and I agree with Tom, grin.

    Oh, might need bail money soon (LOLOLOLOL), we will not survive this "quarantine" our governor has insisted on. I plan on getting out and taking a walk today, so, bail money might be needed, LOLOL. (Humor is the best policy in this situation)

    Would love to win the book, smiles. Hey, Myra, have a great day friend and I miss FATBOYS too...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make that a special wives' wing in the County lock-up! Your names in the hat, my friend!

      Delete
  3. There were plenty of times I've played classical music. It helps me when I need to concentrate on something like a difficult task. Used to play it when I worked, a lot. I love that cute santa suit and your comfy chair. I like the shoes, and am glad you were able to find them. A comfortable pair of shoes is worth their weight in gold and hard to find. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and stay safe and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! Those shoes arrived today … it felt like welcoming an old friend home again.

      Delete
  4. Yes, yes, yes! I would love a copy of Sean's book, Myra.
    I do like classical music, as that was most of what my parents played on our record player, but don't listen to it much anymore. In fact, I've gotten to the point where I simply enjoy quiet and stillness. Helps me to think and to pray.
    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last several years I worked? Mine was an hour-long commute, and one day I decided to turn off all audio. The stillness was so refreshing, to this day I don't turn on my car's radio. I'm adding your name to the big red hat! :)

      Delete
  5. I was 27, away, lonely missing Sherry. I stopped by the library and put on some ear phones. I heard classical for the first time. It did not continue, but I did learn to appreciate the talent and skills.
    I knocked a hole in the basement wall this week.
    Yes drop my name in the hat for old S
    My singing is in the shower late at night, 'WITH HEARING DEVICES OUT!'
    I was sailor of the year once (from a small division!) LOL
    Yes, drop my name in the hat for Sean. I enjoy his positive writing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I fear I'm not intelligent enough to appreciate classical music. Small division or not, congratulations on being Sailor of the Year!!!
      Another name in the hat … thanks for asking!

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of Immortal Beloved, but you have me interested. I'm going to have to look for it. I'm glad you had a good birthday...though I'm not sure how much use you'll get out of a blanket in Alabama, but maybe that's just my northern blood talking. You know I'd love to win the book! I always need another book and you've raved about Sean so much I'd like to see what the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to watch IB, I'm curious to know what you think! Did you know, Sean publishes a daily column, akin to the style of the late Lewis Grizzard. (seandietrich.com) Your name's in the hat!

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday!

    Sorry you lost your award in the pool. I hope you can replace it.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you know Beethoven had a row with his wife and she threatened to leave him? He asked her not to leave because she was his inspiration.

    She replied, "Me? Your inspiration? Don't make me laugh ... ha .. haha ... ha!"

    (Beethoven's 5th Symphony).

    Have you ever sung in a choir or chorus?

    The choir master asked me to stand in the back and mime. Can't understand why. She said I would inspire the congregation without harming their eardrums.

    Are you fascinated by stories about space?

    I like Star Trek and the final front ear. It's good to have things up front.

    Best wishes, Mevely. God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'M humming Beethoven's 5th in concert with you. Ha, HA!
      As ever, thanks for the chuckles!

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry you lost your award! I lost a pin that was just my graduation year...I had it on my cheer uniform and it fell off. I still think about it sometimes....mine isn't even important. I can only imagine how you must feel.
    Happy birthday!!! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. I don't usually think about it, but I was 'horse crazy' so it meant a lot at the time.

      Delete
  10. I hope someday you can replace your award. You never know. Lots of interesting stuff on ebay sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Stranger things have happened!

      Delete
  11. Yes, I frequently listen to classical music, but my taste is verrrry eclectic. I love classical and opera, but I also listen to the Doors, the Stones, Alabama and Nine Inch Nails. :) Just about anything but rap.

    Yep, I sang in the church choir for many years. Served as the "singing troubadour" for the Sunday school kiddos, too. Lots of fun.

    Our week has gone well. Five radiation treatments down, five more to go. Other than going to the cancer center, we've been hunkered down in the house. Being homebodies suits us just fine, but I'll be glad when things get back to normal again. Way too many people are facing financial hardship because of the virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree … ANYthing but rap. "Singing troubadour,' hmmm? I'd love to hear more sometime! Congrats to Smarticus on the half-way mark … you've got this!

      Delete
  12. I love Sean so please enter me in the giveaway! I'm glad you have had a good birthday week! Keep on celebrating!! Nice that you found your favorite shoes! Hope they fit well and last you through another three soles! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider yourself duly entered! (*smile*) The new (to me) shoes arrived today … they fit, but just barely. Why, I wonder, do I fall in like with those things that wind up discontinued?!

      Delete
  13. I loved "Immortal Beloved."

    I'm also a big Star Trek fan, but have only enjoyed one Star Wars movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm thinking I need to download Immortal Beloved and watch all over again.

      Delete
  14. Can't say I am a classical person. I guess that is you under the Santa suit! lol I am sorry about your lost award. Honestly not so sure about the shoes...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I guess you could say it's an acquired taste. :)

      Delete
  15. I always seem to be last, but hopefully not least...
    When I was a music student and professional pianist classical music was my life. Even now during rough times, it is my salvation.

    Fortunately both of my parents were music lovers and I was exposed to all types of music. I love just about any music - - except RAP!!!

    I'm not certain if a chamber orchestra would do Beethoven's symphonies full justice - - but, then, I'm slightly biased...
    I've never seen Immortal Beloved, but heard very positive things about it. I'll put it on my viewing list.

    When do I bathe?
    When the smell gets so bad that I attract flies.

    Awards?
    When I was sixteen, I won the National Albert Rosen Award for one of my piano compositions.

    Star Trek/Star Wars? Was never a fan and never watched them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even tho' I'm not a big fan, I appreciate the talent and passion exhibited by you and other musicians. Fortunate, indeed, your being exposed to differing genres of music at an early age. Mine was a toss up between Mitch Miller and Lawrence Welk. (IMHO, rap is NOT music!)

      Delete
  16. Just went a Credence Clearwater Revival outdoor concert, and it was wonderful. The next day the casino shut down, which was fine since we don't like them.

    I am pretty eclectic when it comes to music. But everything in the 90s and on have not been played in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one can tell a lot about a person by their music choices … and your last sentence makes me like you even more! :)

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enter me into your giveaway :) I do like classical music. Some not too much. Love "Ode to Joy". I can do simple math in my head; too many numbers out comes the calculator :) I like a shower first thing in the morning though DIL is like you and showers in the evening. Such cute shoes you ordered!!

    We are staying safe but spending time in the back yard (all brick).

    do take care!!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. Yes, 'Ode to Joy' is like dessert to my ears. I'm happy to add your name to the giveaway; thanks for asking!

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. I'll take that as a 'yes.' Rick's in the hat!

      Delete
  20. I love music so I love classical usic too. I worked with a gal who worked the late shift and listened! Uh-no! We need to jazz that music up girl! Classical is beautiful. When our first son was born, my friend, a nurse, had a daughter five months earlier. She worked the NICU, it was 1985 and she said studies were showing letting unborn and newborn babies listen to classical music was a good thing. In regard to newborns, they said they found no deaths from SIDS in infants who had parents tuning in to classical music on a low setting while their babies slept. Of course, I trusted this and grateful even today, that all my children were healthy and happy babies. I shower early afternoon as the working bees shower first so I like my showers not to be rushed! I sure love Sean and would love to be entered in your giveaway. Taught by nuns wielding yard sticks and other weapons of pain on young children I learned to use a scratch paper to figure difficult mathematical problems. "Yes sister I know my brother Ed was a Math wizard." Worst trouble I ever got into the nun said "Why are you not like your brother Miss Kocman?" I replied, "Sister, I'm me, not him!" Sent me to the principals office and I was caught by the school counselor, a cool old priest who said, that is was no necessary and he would talk with the nun. HaHa! My high school music teacher was a little Hispanic nun although she ran with the Brown Beret, she was into activism and she was a cool young nun! THanks for the giveaway offer and I wish you could have seen Sean and Jamie but a signed copy of his book would be terrific! HUGS to you and Tom and Good HEALTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it … Anne's in the hat. :) That's sure interesting about classical music being good for newborns. Oh, what stories you and my Tom could swap about parochial school!

      Delete
  21. OH my second comment hee hee hee - your shoes! Ah.....it is best if you find a shoe you love to buy an extra pair. I learned to do that so I am glad you found some you will enjoy. I even have the pinterest page Silly for Shoes! I always have shoes, lots of shoes. Crazy shoe lady! Had to add my final comment. Love and Hugs across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice. At the time, however, I could hardly rationalize paying what I did. I need to revisit Pinterest ... it's been a very long time.

      Delete
  22. How nice of you to offer a copy! Yes, please, count me in. I wish I was a fan of classical music, but I've tried and tried and it's just not for me. My big regret is not seeing Elvis Presley when I had a chance. Stay well and take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Count yourself counted in! Thanks so much for asking!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!