Not sure why the folks at Marriott deemed this necessary 'decor' in their guest rooms.
Probably, I'm not sophisticated enough to appreciate modern art?
So, up until late yesterday we still had no answers from UAB. Naturally, I was in a funk: Couldn't book the girl's groomer, their vet appt., my hair cut (etc.) for fear we'd get The Call saying "come back tomorrow." Picture, if you will, a duckling swimming furiously round-and-round ….. going no-where fast.
Spoiler alert:
Sweet lady phoned to ask if Tom's available Feb. 10 for another cardio cath and TEE.
(I don't know where HR finds these people, but on a customer-service scale from 1-10, I'm giving her an 11.)
* * *
Overwhelming.
You know the story of the country rube who goes to New York City? I didn't stand on the corner with my mouth agape, but the enormity of UAB's footprint felt that way.
Live and learn!
While our hotel sat directly across from the hospital, it was a good hike to Tom's appointments at Kirklin -- via a maze of elevated, enclosed walkways. Naturally, the 'dear man' refused a wheelchair and was pretty winded by the time we arrived.
Oh man! I suspect they do everything there, save major surgery. Signs read like a smorgasbord: Plastic surgery to the left of me, liver transplants to the right. (Seriously!)
Couldn't escape this crazy feeling I was in an episode of Grey's Anatomy … complete with a cast of young, energetic, good-looking doctors and nurses.
After more tests, we met with the CHF cardiologist. He wasn't particularly optimistic; his accent hard to understand. But still I liked his straightforward approach.
The two surgeons we met with were more reassuring. Unlike Dr. Asaad, they believe Tom's stenosis is more moderate v. severe. But due to internal scarring (radiation) they're reluctant to go forward with the TAVR right away. They were to meet with the CHF doc and promised to call in a few days.
Exhausted.
We hiked back to our hotel and wound up ordering take-out from the Chinese place across the street. I don't remember Mongolian beef ever tasting SO good! Except. It must have been loaded with MSG, because a little later I became really thirsty; I couldn't quench my thirst. Yep, the next morning my face and fingers were all puffy-ugly. (Was it worth it? You betcha!)
Best part of waking up is Folger's crystals in my cup!
So now y'all know what we know. Just wish I could call my momma. But it feels really good to be able to share my impressions -- even my anxieties -- here.
Thanks to Victor, I now have a new 'feel-good' song in my heart. Want to hear it?
I double-dare you not to do a jitterbug in your chair!
Have a great Saturday, OK? Stay safe!
Hugs, Myra



Oh Myra, what an ordeal!! I think they need to assign navigators to people to assist them to get to this location or that location in an institute of that size! Heck, I would have taken the wheelchair myself :) (but I know those "stubborn" men). Hard to deal with if you don't have any answers but at least they are being thorough in their evaluation to give the best care they can to Tom. Will continue to hold you both in my prayers! And yum on that food; it would have been worth the salt retention too!
ReplyDeletebetty
My funeral-home friend, Beth, told me about an app-- 'real-time, turn-by-turn navigation' within UAB -- but I forgot to write it down. Wound up downloaded something called "Wayfarer" instead of "Wayfinder." (SMH)
Deletewell now! this song is just like my blog. all those things that cause happiness are what I like to blog about. common everyday run of the mill things give me much joy. I also get happiness from my blog friend and that is why I keep on blogging... after reading this I understand better why the delays. I had wondered why it was taking so long to decide. this explains it... I have said to bob many times, I wish I could tell this to my mother or show this to her or that she could see this... like when I got the new earrings at TOPS she would LOVE them.. I think what keeps me happy is reporting on my blog almost everything that happens, the good,the bad and the ugly, just like I would tell mother.
ReplyDeleteabout those crystals in the cup.. NOOOOO! I have to have REAL coffee. on the rare occasion we travel we have a small coffee pot that goes with us so I can wake up to my Maxwell House. Guess what? I don't like Starbucks coffee...Shocker!
So glad you like this song, too. They had one of these coffee-makers (by Mattel) with premeasured coffee pods, but they're far too weak for me. So spoiled by my Keurig French roast.
DeleteI'm sorry you all are having such a go of it. All that talk and doing nothing. It is hard to wait and see. Sound like they want to make sure of the best approach though and are considering all the options so keep the faith, that what ever is to be done will be the right thing. At least you found a place to stay that is right across the way. Wheelchairs are not a bad thing and I am one that takes all the help that is offered.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm not the most patient soul. (*smile*) But after speaking with the surgeons, I'm reassured we're in GOOD hands … keeping the faith!
DeleteAh, yes UAB. My son had his open heart surgery there when he was 6. Great doctors and staff...and I am not a big city girl either, lol.
ReplyDeleteKeeping you both in prayer.
Good to hear! Thank you so much for the prayers!
DeleteOK imma quote that Betty girl: (but I know those "stubborn" men). We are NOT stubborn, just slow on the uptake! LOL
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. I WOULD BE LOST navigating.
BUT lemme tell you, The song did me wonders, I sang along, Sherry joined in on the second time through. I get 'giddy' when I see closed caption I can read. LOL Thanks you sweetheart and hug my buddy Tom. At times that up and down elevator of life gets tiresome.
PS: Me 'n Tom woulda took the wheel chair had someone told us it was ten miles.! LOL
You just made my day! Wish I could've heard you two love-birds singing along. :)
DeleteFirst of all, continued prayers for Tom and you. Trust in God, Mevely.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you posted the song my Ken Dodd. He has been a well loved comedian and singer in the UK for many years. Sadly, he died last year at the age of 90+
He was best known for his stand-up comedy and for his generosity of time. When you went to his shows they lasted for a good 4 hours or more. Can you imagine? One man standing there for 4 hours telling jokes non-stop? I really enjoyed seeing him live.
Here is an example of his humour. Not sure whether it will be liked in the USA. This is a show where he performed to an audience of other celebrities: singers, musicians, comedians, athletes and so on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1gI4jmjQjs
God bless.
I'd never heard of Ken Dodd … thanks for the back-story. 4-hours? He must have surely enjoyed performing. I look forward to watching this video later this afternoon!
DeleteI like that song - Happiness!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean - when something like that happens to me I still want my mom.
Sorry you are in limbo - you got there and still don't know what is going on.
Prayers and hugs.
sandei
Oh, I love imagining my friends across Blogland singing along! :)
DeleteIt's a shame that you and Tom have to through such an endlessly agonizing ordeal. I understand your frustration and sympathize. I was glad to read your update.
ReplyDeleteAnd I can (strongly) identify with you wanting to call your mother.....Blogging is a useful way to release our emotions and connect with understanding people.
(BTW, I don't think there are any doctors left who don't have thick hard-to-understand accents).
There were strong winds here last night and a huge power outage. The power just came back on about half an hour ago.
Take care.
Goodness, but I appreciate your empathy! Glad to know those storms didn't cause more havoc than the power outage. Buckle up, my friend!
DeleteMyra, I am so sorry for both of you! Your TAVR journey is as convoluted as Joe's was. Ours lasted over a year but, praise God, the new valve is in and working great. My prayers and wish for Tom is for the same outcome! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Terri! You and Joe are my role models!
DeleteSometimes the medical community is just so frustrating! I will continue to pray for things to work out in the best possible way.
ReplyDeleteUm, yeah, I don't get that art, either.
Glad to know I'm not the only one! Wasted space....
DeleteDefinitely an arduous journey, but the update is much appreciated, Myra. Keeping Tom and you in prayers, that's for sure and certain!
ReplyDeleteAnd that art thingy? I don't get it either!
Blessings!
What a blessing your friendship and prayers are! Thank you, Martha.
Deletei'm so sorry to hear things aren't going as planned. hang in there and hopefully it'll all turn around. i can agree with you about the grey's anatomy analogy. thats how hubby and i have felt recently trying to navigate our way around hospitals. they look very young, those doctors do. i talk to my mom every night since my dad died and mostly i just listen to her stories. but she's not going to be around much longer, she's getting up there in age. and i can only imagine not picking up the phone to vent. be assured we are all here for you in blogland and you can talk anytime you want. saying a little prayer for you and tom. promise me you'll get a wheelchair next time. no shame in it. those long walks are not good for those of us who have medical issues. take care.
ReplyDeleteI promise! Your making time to listen to your mother's stories -- and mine -- is a blessing, indeed!
DeleteYou have a good day too. 😊
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteNavigating these big medical centers is a challenge. Most of my doctors are at NYU. It's a great hospital, but it's spread out over half of Manhattan. Continuing prayers for Tom and of course, for you, too!
ReplyDeleteOf course … I can only imagine!
DeleteAlmost need a guide to navigate places like that!
ReplyDeleteGood to get some good news.
MSG hates me too. Migraines.