Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Heart of the Matter




First, big thanks for your prayers for our DIL's daddy!
G'daughter Sarah (who drove down from North Carolina) wrote on her Facebook page:
"Praise be to God for seeing my grandfather through triple bypass surgery. All of the prayers, well wishes and positive thoughts have been felt and are very much appreciated. Please keep them coming now and in the days and weeks ahead."


Meanwhile, back at the ranch …

… I'm cautiously optimistic.
Tom's no longer talking about giving away/selling his 'stuff.'  In fact, he came back from visiting a friend yesterday with a new (to him) plane, salvaged landing gear, etc.

And when it's too wet and dreary outdoors ...


I'm thinking …

When creating my vision board, I should have been more specific about  putting 'road trips' out in the Universe.

Gosh, I used to love spending hours at a time behind the wheel! I even entertained the idea of piloting an 18-wheeler. 

Well, between UAB and Opelika (pulmonologist) - not so much anymore.  I suspect Tom and I've begun to exhibit symptoms of 'carcolepsy': An affliction that makes some people fall asleep as soon as the car starts moving."   
(Thanks Susan!)  

I've decided …

To postpone my stress test … perhaps indefinitely.
I've not heard anything amiss about my echo last week.  Plus. I know this makes no sense whatsoever, but I can't shake the fear terror of experiencing a heart attack while on their treadmill.  (As some of you know, that's what happened to my former husband.)


But you know … 

It's all good!  In spite of these road bumps, we're mighty fortunate to be on the receiving end of modern medicine.


On a lighter note …

About time, right?









Thanks for being here … you matter to me!
(Stay safe!)

Hugs, Myra

  








28 comments:

  1. I'm not one to give medical advice (LOL) but I would say discuss not having the stress test with your doctor. Tell them your concerns (fear) about having it done and see what they would suggest. As a precaution, the minute someone says anything about having symptoms of chest pain/pressure/etc the doctors go into full "work up mode" to rule things out, usually heart as the top on the list. So that's probably why, as you know, they are wanting you to have it done. But I can understand your concerns so mention it to the doctor and then go from there :)

    Glad to hear DIL's dad's surgery went good! Praying for speedy recovery!

    Glad that it seems like Tom's being optimistic :) Always a good sign I do believe!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, yours is sound advice. Thank you, Betty!

      Delete
  2. I was afraid to have the stress test when at my first appointment at UAB, my surprise he only had me walk in the hall. Prayers for your DIL's dad. Hugs, Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that before! How nice that your doctor exercised caution.

      Delete
  3. great news on successful surgery... will continue prayer, I hope his recovery goes as quickly as my hubbies did.. he was back swimming his laps in 3 weeks. I did not know you had a stress test, or that you had chest pains. my feelings about stress tests and EKG's is about useless. just my thoughts.
    I did drive 18 wheeler for 4 months. I do not like driving or ridng in cars but I don't fall asleep because I get so nervous I could not sleep if you gave me a valium. on the way home from TOPS this morning the traffic was so bad, I was a nervous wreck. I had 3 NEAR misses, people drive like morons here and there is nothing scarier than a senior citzen moron driver. and it was not ME. I had no idea Tom played piano/keyboard. I want to so bad. one of his planes, the red one standing on its nose, has a twin in our garage. I wish bob's planes looked as neat as Toms. our garage looks like an airplane hanger that a tornado hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please, won't you share more about your commercial driving career? I'd be over the moon to take a ride (way up high), even around the block.

      Delete
  4. I'm no expert, and I'm certainly not offering advice, but I've always been very leery of stress tests and doubtful about EKG's. I can understand your apprehension (I didn't know about your former husband).

    As for driving - I'm far too nervous to ever even consider falling asleep. Ironically, I used to fearlessly pilot all the Los Angeles freeways when I was young. Nowadays, I get panic attacks on these hilly Tennessee roads.

    Is that Tom with a couple of keyboards? (hard to discern in the photo). That's great!
    My electric keyboard was "lost" when I moved to TN and I really miss it. I've lately been seriously considering buying another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's Tom at the keyboards in our front room. Music has been his passion since grade school at Chicago's conservatory. Hard to make out, but his first love is the sax.

      Delete
  5. Praise God for answered prayers! Myra, ask your doc about a chemical stress test. That's what I had and it was very easy... no tread mill. Glad Tom is back on a positive wave length and is having fun again! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri. Yes, I asked about that option, but no … because of the radiation. I may just look into getting another cardiologist.

      Delete
  6. Just to let you know, I am praying for your DIL's father as well as for you and Tom. I know that often we worry about health issues; it is only natural that we do so. I offer my prayers to you and yours whenever things are not as they should be. Trust in God, Mevely. Trust in God. I know what I speak about on this.

    As for Winnie the Poo ... I remember being asked, "Where do I come from?" So I took a deep breath and explained all about how babies are made, (I had to check with my wife I got the details correct), and eventually I explained all as honestly as possible. The reply? "Funny that ... because my friend Peter comes from London!"

    God bless, Mevely, always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...because my friend Peter comes from London!" Too funny!
      As ever, your prayers are so valued!

      Delete
  7. Thumbs up on the Surgery! Super news.
    Tom is a hoot. I love to watch others fly those dudes, but never had the nerve to give it a try. I now have a key board, I wish I had the GUTS just to take a few lessons. But then I want to go to college too. LOL..
    I say go with your heart and head about tests. I am bad example I avoid them.
    BUT OF COURSE (with some foreign language sound) The jelly is FRUIT!

    Love from Florida for a couple more days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've a keyboard, too? Come on along and let your muse loose!
      BTW, if y'all get over this direction, Tom will take you to the flying field and put you on a 'buddy board' (controls)

      Delete
  8. I loved this - loved the alcoholic wipe machine - paper cut locator.
    And now I know what disease I have - I am a carcolepsy - I looked it up and it is real! lol I am going to sue this in a blog one day - okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, girl! I look forward to reading it.

      Delete
  9. Praise the Lord that DIL's dad made it through surgery and is on the mend!!!
    And the poo joke? You had me rolling with that one, Myra! Praying for your good health and wellness, my friend.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that, Martha! I was afraid someone might have found that 'toilet humor' offensive.

      Delete
  10. I no longer drive any more than an hour at a time, for just that reason, I'll fall asleep driving. I let my daughter and my sons drive if I'm going on a trip that is any longer than 1 hour. It's very scary falling asleep at the wheel and I don't want to be a danger to anyone else either. Glad your G'daughter's FIl is doing so well . Will continue with prayers for a successful recovery. I didn't know about the stress test with your former husband. Tha would make one very leary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! We've not had to pull over at a rest stop, but wouldn't hesitate to do so. I've found chewing ice cubes helps, as does turning off the heater.

      Delete
  11. I had a stress test on the tredmill and it sucked...I had enough of the pinhead who had a nasty attitude/belligerent-I passed it though. My mil just had one (she had heart surgery 3 years go) and she failed--couldn't last 5 minutes on the treadmill. I so understand what you are saying...and I had to grin/giggle over the thought of 'carcolepsy'---funny, when I am in the passenger seat, the same happens, lol.

    P.S. I am avoiding having a colonoscopy---I am a firm no and will not be forced into doing so. Why? Just because I am 52 and in that age group doesn't mean you get to choose when I have one. Just saying. smiles.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree -- one has to be his or her own advocate. At least my doc agreed to let me do the non-invasive 'box' option.

      Delete
  12. It's understandable that you're digging your heels in over the stress test, but if there's a problem, wouldn't you rather find out about it in a controlled setting than while walking through the park? Just saying.

    I'm glad Tom is feeling more optimistic these days. I wish Smarticus were. His birthday is coming up, and he says there isn't any "point" in giving him any stuff. It's heartbreaking. And yes, he's giving a lot of his "treasures" away.

    But I'm trying to be optimistic enough for the two of us. Not always easy, but definitely necessary.

    Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, you've got a point. Channeling Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think about that tomorrow.

      Heartbreaking, yes. While fighting lung cancer in 2013 Tom went through that evil roller coaster of emotions. Prayers continuing!

      Delete
  13. Glad to hear that your DIL dad is doing well. I think it is nice that Tom has some hobbies. Didn't know that about the stress test. I love the paper cut locator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good news for your DIL's dad. Always glad and grateful to pray. I am happy for Tom and the hobbies. Everyone needs things to relax and not worry about the hard stuff. HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!