Sunday, January 26, 2020

Sunday Stealing: Winter Questions




Aw, y'all talked me into it!  Thanks, Bev. :)
This week's winter questions stolen from

Want to play along?  Join in Sunday Stealing HERE.


* * *

How do you get past the gray skies during winter?

Grey skies don't really bother me. Even on days when it's far too warm, there's times I'll look up and remember my parents' saying, "That looks like a snow sky."



Do you like snow?
I love snow!
Unfortunately, it took me a long time to realize that the dry crunchy stuff we enjoyed in the Rockies is far different than say, Tom's hometown of Chicago.  (Yes, he hates the snow and ice.)


What are your favorite activities to do during the winter?  
Once upon a time … in a land far, far away.

The best day of the year was when they'd open the skating rink at the bottom of the Omega canyon bridge.



What does a perfect winter day look like to you?

Durango, CO (1982)

Nowadays?
I'm just delighted when there's no rain and temps stay below 50*



What are your favorite meals/food you enjoy eating during the winter?
I'll never turn down a hearty pork stew.  
I really need to put my reservations aside and experiment with some of the (southwest-specific) Mexican food recipes Tom so enjoyed.

What is your favorite winter holiday?

New Years Day.  No pressure, just promises.



What is your favorite pizza flavor and toppings?
Olive oil and garlic base, shiitake, button and portobello mushrooms, caramelized onions, mozzarella, and MontAmoré®. Finished with a garlic aioli swirl and a spritz of black truffle oil. Garnished with fresh chives and shaved parmesan."
(Source: Mellow Mushroom's 'Holy Shitake')



What are some items in your daily bag/backpack?

Phone/credit card case, rose-quartz angel (gift from a former co-worker), eye drops, and 
My mother's hankie



Your favorite snacks.

Peanuts, pistachios, popcorn w/ garlic salt  ….and Bellavitano cheese when I remember to buy it!



Some foreign countries that you would like to visit?
I've been blessed to visit most of Europe, but would love to see Austria's Vienna Boys Choir.




What things remind you of home?

Thanks to my mother's passion for trading with the pueblo Indians, much of our home's décor is New Mexico pottery.
Sunday mornings before church, my father would burn pinon incense in this little kiva. 



If you have one, some items from your Amazon Wishlist.

Nope.There's little I need -- or want, at least for which I'm willing to pay retail.



What was your favorite Christmas gift?



Oh, another thing!
If you're inclined, we appreciate prayers or good thoughts for my DIL's daddy, Nook.  He suffered a heart attack Thursday morning - and, despite having pneumonia and a UTI, is scheduled for bypass surgery tomorrow morning.  


Thank you … stay safe!

Hugs, Myra


PS 
Sorry! I've no idea what's going on with the formatting, but I'm too lazy to start over. 






15 comments:

  1. Praying for Nook, as requested and also for Tom, you and the family.

    Keep warm and stay safe. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Victor, first a prayer for Nook.
    Now, I understand the things naturally in your bag, but mama's hankie is the cherry on a sundae. Something my girl would TREASURE!
    Pizza, a good Veggie Pizza.
    I always enjoy your answers...
    Love you guys,
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pottery and praying for your DIL's daddy! How scary! Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for Nook and please keep us posted. It was fun seeing your answers today! I am intrigued by your pizza! Love ya, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping Nook and family in prayer, Myra (and same for you and Tom).

    I am so glad you joined in, that hankie is so precious, smiles. AND NO Mellow Mushroom up here--we do have authentic NY pizza up here (duh! lol).

    Thanks for joining in my friend, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy reading your answers - and it reminds me that I haven't done a Sunday Stealing in a long time.

    I like gray skies (there are plenty of them here in TN), and I wish we'd get some snow this winter. I'm beginning to think I'll have to move farther north....

    Your NM pottery always reminds me of my Mom, who used to love visiting the pueblos. I never heard of pinon incense, but it sounds intriguing.

    Your elaborate pizza topping initially alarmed me - especially when I misread "shiitake".....
    When I was a little kid in New Jersey, the only kind of pizza available was plain cheese - and it was SO GOOD! The popularity of toppings came later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love snow - not much anymore. I am from Chicago too - what part did he live in?
    We don't get much snow at all here in GA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh girl, you need to do a post on your pottery! I have several pieces I brought back from New Mexico when I was out there on mission trips. The majority of mine are Navajo since that is who we were staying with, but I have one piece I'm sure is Pueblo and I might have one or two that are something else...not sure as I have actually picked up a couple in thrift/antique shops back here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always got a list of places to visit. New Zealand is still at the top, but Easter Islands and Chile, too. I've just added Greenland and I'm trying to figure out how to make that work. I may never get to any of them, but I enjoy reading and planning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so sweet you have your mom's hankie in your purse :) Prayers for your DIL's dad; that is scary with his conditions and the upcoming surgery. Not fond of cold or ice or snow (really the past few days here its been low 60s and I'm just miserably waiting for the hot days :) (call me silly). Yum on your pizza! I am so getting a weighted blanket!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved the pizza toppings. those mushrooms are the best. my youngest daughter lives in durango colorado. the landscape is beautiful there. prayers being sent your way. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prayers for Nook and his surgery. about the weather, one sentence will answer all of that. I love FL winter, medium always no ice, no cold, no rain. sunshine is my friend and rain is my foe..as is snow....please don't come to FL if you are reading this, we are full to the MAX which is the only thing about FL I don't like. PEOPLE everywhere.
    I wear a wrist wallet from Amazon, with cash, debit card, drivers license and a dog card saying if I am hurt and can't talk, I have dog at home.

    the list of food I love and snacks I love is way to long to type. I don't eat most of them now but theyare on my food wishlist. about Amazon, there is so much on their I want but can't afford, I will spare you that list also... love the pottery...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prayers lifted for Nook! Please keep us updated on the results of the surgery, Myra, and enjoy the week ahead.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers for you DIL's dad, and for Tom and you. How wonderful Nook is doing so well despite everything else. I'm not a fan of winter at all and have a hard time finding much good about it. It is pretty when everything is snow covered and I'm looking out from the inside. but I don't like being cold or driving in the wintry weather. I do love hot soups of most any kind in the winter. They taste so good and warm us up. Take care and enjoy your cool days as they come. I'm still wishing I was back in Florida.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!