Sunday, September 15, 2019

Sunday thoughts



G'evening, friends!
The last few days have been pretty low-key.  All the same, I'd like to keep my foot in the door.  So, what's happening on Chapman Road?


Outside my Window
We're talking major drought. Ugh.
(Click to enlarge)
 I was struck by this itty-bitty plant (?), seeming to thrive in the middle of nothing. Those clusters are no bigger than my pinkie fingernail.
Tenacity.


In the Kitchen
Cleaning out the 'frig' for trash collection … playing "What do you suppose this used to be?"  (Please tell me we're not the only ones?)


Good to Know
At a recent estate sale I was eyeballing a beautifully tailored red jacket and dress slacks. The tag reflected my size, but y'all know how little that means.
One of the staff asked, did I want to hear a trick?

(Quoting from the web)

"Take the pants off the hanger. Button them and then hold the waistband's side seams in each hand and drape them around your neck, like you're putting on a necklace. Or, you could put the pants around your neck like you're putting on a cape.

If the waistband comes together and you have breathing room (overlapping only an inch or so), congratulations! The waist is your size."

I did … and was happily surprised!



Creating
(OK, planning to create)
Have you met Marie (And Then We All Had Tea)?
Like me, she doesn't have an abundance of space to decorate. Instead, taking inspiration from Pinterest, she creates what she calls 'mood boards.'

Here are some samples:
http://andthenweallhadtea.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-art-of-creating.html

I'm so taken by this idea!  Do you suppose the finished products might be converted into those photo tiles?



Looking Forward to
Next week's television premiers. In particular, The Good Doctor and the Chicago Fire/PD/Med trilogy.  What are your favorites?



Makes me Smile
This girl
Mom, I'm tired of football.
Will you ask Daddy to put on House Hunters?




… As do each of you! 
Please, take good care of yourself.


Hugs, Myra









40 comments:

  1. The three Chicago shows are our favorites too! And The Good Doctor... among others. Peeking in on Sunday night before football starts. Each day gets better! Missing my blog friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so delighted at your progress, Terri! Miss you, too!

      Delete
  2. I love to see a plant defy odds and survive. Of course I always pull for the underdog. LOL
    And yes, we do have mysteries hiding in our refer.
    Neat trick about the waist size. Strange who came up with that.
    Sending love from over in the Carolinas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love y'all right back! My g'daughter has officially moved your way (Raeford) and sis-in-law will soon follow (Apex).

      Delete
  3. That plant is strong. And I like the Good Doctor. Bull. A Million Little Things. A lot of the same ones you do.
    I am tired of football too.
    Good for you to find an outfit in your size.
    Hope your job is going well.
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The background check isn't back yet, so I'm still a 'lady of leisure.' (*smile*) I've never seen a Million Little Things, but the teasers looked like tear-jerkers.

      Delete
  4. Amazing how the most seemingly fragile of plants can survive in the hot, hot, hot summer we've had, Myra. My post on Tuesday will touch on that. As for the figuring out what size will fit, that's an original for me! Don't know if it would work, although I have been known to purchase clothing at gently-used thrift stores. Know what? Have never been disappointed!
    Football? Go UGA!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? 99% of my wardrobe's 'gently-used.' Already I'm so over the NFL. But the SEC? Auburn's a whole 'nother story. War Eagle!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the sizing tip. I hope I can remember it the next time I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm glad the sizing tip worked for you but I daresay, my neck would have to be awfully thick for that to work for me. LoL! I'm sure your little sweetie, is trying to give you a high five in celebration of a touchdown! LoL Yeah, I'm one of those crazy gals who love football...actually sports in general! Have a blessed week!

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing your hubby loves having you watch the games together!

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh, no! My Mister is not a sports fan at all! He always finds someplace else to be during football season and he goes to another room if I'm watching the other sports! LoL

      Delete
  7. That was an interesting tip about sizing. I'll have to try it some time. Good for that plant trying to thrive even in the midst of the impossible situations. Pretty much the only TV show I follow these days is Bull. Cardinals might have a team this year so its making football interesting to watch. Not a die hard fan, but do enjoy catching games as we can.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm embarrassed to admit, I've never heard of Bull. You're the second person to say so; better check it out!

      Delete
  8. I am writing to you from the hospital. Thank you for the sizing tip. I tried it this morning whilst buying new trousers. Put the trousers over my head. Walked to the mirror. Could not see where I was going. Hit a couple of mannequins in the shop. Tripped on them and fell down the stairs all the way to the ladies' section below. They called an ambulance. They put me on a stretcher and asked me what happened and why I had trousers over my head. When I told them they laughed so much they dropped me off the stretcher. Eventually I got in hospital where they checked me for breakages of bones and stuck needles in my bottom to protect me against various infections. I am waiting to be released from hospital soon ... ... .... wait .... the police have arrived and they are arresting me for stealing the trousers on my head. I'll write to you again from prison.

    Thanx Mevely. Good tip.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Victor. I dare say you've out-done yourself! Thanks for the giggles!

      Delete
  9. My husband has elected to not watch any pro football this year--thanks to the lack of Patriotism. I won't tell you what he really thinks, wink.

    I don't have any favorite programs. I hardly watch tv during the week. On the weekends, I like HGTV and Maine Cabin Masters.

    Most of my clothes are gently used, lol. Interesting tip, thanks.smiles

    The fridge gets cleaned out every Sunday as trash day is Monday. Yeah, we have the same issues, lol.

    Have a good week, my friend and Roll Tide and Go Gators, LOLOLOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW there was a reason I like your hubby! LOL. Let's hear it for the SEC!

      Delete
  10. No, nothing in the fridge, if it is more than a few days old I toss it. makes bob crazy, I fret over how long things are and refuse to drink milk if the date use by is gone by.
    we had a 4 year drought, which broke this summer. it is surprising what came back from our soil that looks like yours.

    I have now spent 20 minutes on your 3 minute blog. I rushed to the closet, tried 3 different pairs of pants around my neck, then tried the fat pants, then because I did not believe it I used measuring tape to see how big my neck it. Came back and then had to go see what a mood board is, and found another woman who wastes as much time as I do on PicMonkey, came back, checked out the HGTV dog while thinking of my favorites starting next.
    New Amsterdam, TheVoice, Blue Bloods all start next week, as the ones we watch now are ending. I do hope the rest of my feed I don't spend 20 mintues on each blog because that will put me to MIDNIGHT...😘😘💋💋💕💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a stitch! :) I'd totally forgotten about Blue Bloods … love Tom Selleck better now than in Magnum PI.

      Delete
  11. I am back, add more time to your blog because I stopped to read the comments and laughed long and hard over Victors Pants Fiasco. Victor wins best comment today

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to NCIS and New Amsterdam. The sizing tip is very interesting. Can't wait to try it out.

    I agree with the puppy, I'd rather be watching House Hunters too. lol

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I may need to start watch New Amsterdam! Blessings!

      Delete
  13. I've never heard of that pants size trick and I'm assuming it's only for ladies. I couldn't imagine myself wrapping a pair of jeans around my neck in Walmart.

    You want to see refrigerator mysteries? Come on over to my house. Some of them have been lurking for years.

    Love the last photo and the caption.

    I'm keeping this short because I still feel like hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Victor definitely wins for best comment.

      Delete
    2. But I hope, better than yesterday? Oh, I'd love to see you trying that trick in Wal-Mart; you might be the reason some chronically depressed sort has a reason to smile.

      Delete
  14. It's so hard to believe it's Monday morning already, I had to check to calendaer to see what day it is. I love the word tenacity. It just makes one try to do better. Hang in there little plants. No drought here, but we've had off and on rain for a few days and even a bad thunder storm. When it heats up and then a cool front comes through that always means rain for us. Thankfully when we get hot it doesn't stay that way long at all. I don't watch much football here at all, only seating bits and parts when flipping the channels to see what else is on. I don't get House Hunters either, but used to enjoy it when I had cable TV. I'm glad I have old episodes of Downton Abby to watch when all else fails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen Downton Abby, but it's sure got a following of nice people. (I used to think it was DownTOWN Abby … lol.)

      Delete
  15. Adam and Gabby live off of a Chapman Road! I always love seeing plants coming up from an impossible place to grow. I love her mood boards. The Good Doctor, Chicago Med, New Amsterdam, Grey's Anatomy, This Is Us, A Million Little Things, Madame Secretary... to name a few. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't it be grand? (I'm ditto-ing all your choices, save Grey's. That used to be my favorite, but some of the story lines have become too 'liberal' for me.

      Delete
  16. Hi my friend! I need to keep moving, if I sit too long I start thinking sadness and I am a very upbeat person! We probably watch too much TV during the new season, 911, NCIS, Goldbergs, Schooled, Young Sheldon. When Gibbs leaves NCIS I will be sad. NCIS New Orleans has been a bit too violent for us so we missed most of last season. I always go into a funk when baseball season ends and it is nearly over. I am my mother's daughter! We watch the Broncos but not the way we use to. I have had enough of this world and their PC! UGH! All this crying over The Braves, The Indians etc. All the crybabies except not any Native Americans! If you visit me you can see the Indian College Fund building not far from my home that still provides scholarships for their children. Funny no complaints there! We always have an abundance of penicillin in our fridge. We have more than one fridge because the kids have their own set up. My SIL Zach is off today and he is preparing a yummy breakfast for us!More later and I love tea so off to visit your friend. HUGS and LOVE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there such a thing as "too much TV"? lol.
      Love your family's collage of love. :)

      Delete
  17. We're still way behind on average rainfall, but at least the temperatures have turned a wee bit more moderate. No telling how long it will last, but I plan to enjoy it while it's here.

    I'm not a football fanatic or anything, but I never miss a Falcons game if I can help it. Hubby and I enjoy watching them together.

    You do realize, after I get off the computer, I'm gonna have to try that around-the-neck trick with some of my pants, dontcha? Not that I'm from Missouri, but...

    I'm looking forward to the return of "Grey's Anatomy."

    Have a super weekend, dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, everything I know about medicine I've learned from "Grey's Anatomy." Y'all have a great one, as well!

      Delete
  18. So that is how to determine your waist size. It would be far less embarrassing, unless you are Victor. I would imagine he has had many experiences as such.
    Some plants are downright crispy with the heat we have had.
    If Gibbs disappears, then civilization will, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Mark Harmon, but must confess: I've never seen an episode of NCIS.

      Delete
  19. Such an interesting post about the sizing and then such fun comments. Yes, the one from Victor was most creative! I have no idea what shows are on because most of our viewing is done streaming shows and watching PBS where cooking shows are a favorite. We are currently watching the Ken Burns documentary on country music. Our fall season is still quite warm with temps in the mid-80s this week and I am so ready for New England fall colors as we live in NH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit late to the viewing party (were we), but sure enjoyed that documentary on country music. 'Real country' is still my favorite genre.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!