Saturday, August 3, 2019

This n' That



Good morning!

Big thanks for your well wishes on Wednesday's interview.  Unfortunately, I don't expect to hear back.

She was very nice, but I couldn't escape the feeling the interviewer wasn't particularly engaged; (that) this was an obligatory exercise.  Then! I failed to expect -- and prepare for -- her opener: "So, tell me a little about yourself."  I hate that so much!

Anyway. I came home and penned what I hope passes for a sincere thank you.  Lessons learned!


* * *


Good news!
For the first time in a week, Gracie's begun to imitate her sister and interact with their birthday ball.

Apologies for the poor cinematography! 

 Grace says, "That's OK, mom. Rookie mistake."


* * *


There's no good reason I needed another martini glass.  But after a 3-week cooling off period, I gave in and called the my hometown's history museum.

….. and this commemorative glass arrived yesterday morning!
Pictured my father's Trinitite specimen. (Fitting, no?)


The name 'Oppenheimer' is, of course, recognizable to residents as "the father of the atomic bomb." But I don't recall ever having heard the stories of Oppie's 'legendary' martinis.

One thing led to another, and last night I found myself fascinated, reading accounts of his personal life.


Sad, too, his children:  Peter, a carpenter, lives in northern New Mexico in 'contented seclusion.'   Daughter Toni committed suicide one month after her 33rd birthday.


* * *


On a lighter(?) note!
 I'm pretty sure I've developed 'lazy ears' syndrome.

Never in a million years could I have predicted I'd be listening to audio books … and enjoying it!
Not halfway through Someone Knows, I was ready to kick it to the curb. But no, the narrator's tone and inflections made it really enjoyable.

Anyway.  I didn't realize my current selection, Good Girl Bad Girl is set in the U.K.; so the narrator's voice takes some getting used to.  Please don't get me wrong. It's not off-putting.  I just have to pay closer attention.  Yep, lazy ears.

Have you read something recently you recommend?

* * *

Have a great weekend, y'all! … Be safe!
Hugs, Myra  









26 comments:

  1. I didn't know the story of the atomic bomb. Did the USA want it or did he just invent it? I wonder why his kids felt bad. Sometimes the bible says we pay for the sins of our parents. I like to read too - but haven't gotten into books on tape yet. Gracie is cute! Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short answer, Sandie? It was totally government authorized, meant to speed the end of WWII. If you'd like, you can Google the "Manhattan Project."

      Delete
  2. Interesting to delve into 'Oppie's' life a little deeper. Sad about his kids. Sorry about the disappointing interview. Gosh, the first question is nearly always to tell us about yourself. Yuck.. I agree but we always did it. Easier to ask it than to answer it. The pups are adorable!! I am reading "Uncle and Ants" by Marc Jedel It is free on Kindle right now (from Amazon). Very cute and is keeping me interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Oh well, everything happens for a reason. (I guess. LOL)
      Thanks for the tip on Jedel's book!

      Delete
  3. My daughter has a 45 min drive from work and enjoys the audio books. Thoroughly enjoys them. When we have long (10 hr.) drives, we listen to one. Sometimes we get home with 20 minutes left, so we drive around the our neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! Oh, I hope your daughter loves her job. I did that sort of commute for 15 long years. Wish I'd thought to do audio books!

      Delete
  4. Oh, your pups are just too cute, Myra! Sorry the job interview didn't pan out, but maybe next time. What I'm reading? Monticello by Sally Gunning. If you like historical fiction, you will love this one.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! I'm adding that title to my list.

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about your job interview. I know from interviewing many candidates for jobs o0r promotions that they get very nervous, and a good interviewer makes allowances for that. At the end of the day they have to choose a "good fit" for the job. And often, the best candidate does not get the job because he is too well qualified and we think/believe that they'll soon leave for another job any way. This has been proven to be so often; and we have to recruit all over again. So, maybe you were too good for this job, Mevely. Praying for you.

    Loved you video.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind, Victor! I've even entertained the thought, they're focused on longevity and how long will this 'old lady' be around.

      Delete
  6. I hate--no detest that question...what do you want me to say is what I think to myself...ok, short end of it; "Wife, mom and college student and haven't worked in 20 years. Was busy raising a son and I decided it was time to go back to school and get my degree and make something of myself." ---I always tell the truth--no matter how lame it sounds. AND I do add that btw, no matter how lame this might sound... but it is the honest truth...of course, ask me again in a year and half when I must find a job, smiles

    I agree with Victor, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Truth-telling is never a poor choice; I only wish more folks practiced that!

      Delete
  7. I guess I never thought too much about who invented the bomb. His poor children must have felt such pressure and guilt as I'm sure Oppie must have. I can't imagine.

    I'm a visual/hands on type so I've never been able to enjoy audio books. I have friends who love them.

    I've had that question asked in an interview. Come to find out they really don't want to know anything at all about the person you are. The right thing will come along.

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to God's ears, Pam! The only reason I began listening to books was to break up the boredom of the walking trail; I can't do that sitting in my own living room.

      Delete
  8. The few times I interviewed for a job the one doing the interview left the impression You look perfect for the job, BUT I have this one more interview I am required to do (etc) never heard back in those days. I am sure you have known jobs where you worked that the job was actually earmarked for someone (kin or friend) and the interviews only filled a paper work or legal requirement. Love the puppies!!!
    The BOMB did shorten the war and saved many Allied lives. Of course the results were horrible. BUT WAR is horrible.
    Good read. Love vrom NC
    Sherry & jack BTW Yep that is a long yard sale, 600+ miles. My problem I would need a big truck. OUCH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting point; makes sense! Macie and Grace say 'thank you very much.' :)

      Delete
  9. PS: (the job) If they don't call, their loss! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder why Toni committed suicide. I think Robert Oppenheimer and the like did what they had to do at the time; how different it would have all been if the atomic bomb had not been invented and the war went another way. I guess we'll never know. So cute with Gracie and the ball. I don't foresee a career in soccer in her future, but she did seem to have a few minutes of enjoyment. Sorry about the job interview, but chalk it up to the fact that at least you got an interview so potentially they saw something in your resume/application, right? Audio books relax me too much and I end up going to sleep, LOL. I did read The Widow a few weeks back. It was a thriller and made me stop doing too much to finish it to see how it all played out. And while I don't read too many of his books, Nicholas Sparks' Two by Two was a good read too.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! ...on the soccer career! I used to read and enjoy Nicholas Sparks' books; wonder why I stopped? I'm going to check out The Widow; thrillers are my favorite genre.

      Delete
  11. this might be sad or maybe not. depends on who reads this comment. I have never heard the name Oppenheimer or Oppie and had no clue who invented the bomb. I do recognize Manhattan Project but not what it was. Bob knew what Mannatan was but did not know the name and he is a watcher of documentary . I have never and will never read a book that is not fiction or watch a documentary. they make me crazy, as in the news makes me crazy. I did watch how they make toilet tissue if that counts. I have never read a biography or autobio, except in highschool when I was forced to SKIM one for a grade... I LOVE the video of Bigs Favorite ball with your sweet pups that are smaller than the ball. I wondered if Big would notice the sound when I played the video, he paid it no mind. odd, since rolling that ball brings him out of a deep sleep here... she bats it with her paw just like big does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sad at all. I suppose the only reason we (residents of Los Alamos) knew about him, all that stuff was constantly drummed into us in school.
      I'm surprised Big didn't react; maybe the sound is different 'live and in person.'

      Delete
  12. I don't know how I missed this post, but - at this point in my hectic week - I could use a few Oppenheimer martinis.

    I'm with you completely -
    I ABSOLUTELY HATE it when the "So tell me about yourself" is thrown at me. I'm a;ways tempted to tell the truth:
    "I'm a miserable misanthrope, a failure in life, a chronic complainer, and hate doing work - especially if I'm being bossed around."

    Just jesting, of course......???

    One thing I do dislike are audio books. The last time anyone read a book to me, I was three years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, you win the award for making me laugh the hardest all week! I hope your coming week is lots less hectic!

      Delete
  13. So interesting yet so sad :(
    No I haven't read a darn thing yet I get free books almost daily that I put into my kindle app to read. I have to change my life and take time to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pups are so adorable! Robert Oppenheimer, wow, such a sad loss with his daughter. But that bomb did help shorten the war for certain. His son must enjoy his privacy. You know Admiral Zumwalt authorized the spraying of Agent Orange during wartime. Unfortunately, his son was one of the first casualties from it. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!