Thanks for joining me and Terri's merry band of Meddlers to commemorate National Lighthouse Day!
Without further ado, here are Terri's posers:
Let's start with a number! How many lighthouses have you visited?
Um, that would be zero.
Have you been inside a lighthouse, and did you walk to the top?
See #1
Do you seek them out when you are traveling the coastlines, or are you not that big a fan?
Honestly, I'm not that big a fan.
However, this afternoon I grew curious about a couple things: Are they continuously manned staffed? If so, is the guardian of the light in radio contact with ships' captains ... not unlike air traffic controllers?
I did a quick Google search and learned just enough to quench my curiosity:
"It was manned continuously from at least 1207 until 1996, when it was finally automated."
Do you have a favorite scripture or another reference to share with us concerning a guiding light in your life?
This may be a stretch, but this is the first thing that came to mind ... and I'm going with it.
I fell in love with it when I saw Carousel in '61, and I love it still!
If you don't collect lighthouses when you travel, is there something tangible that you tend to collect as a souvenir when you are on vacation or a road trip?
If I'm enjoying an especially happy day/moment, I'm likely to pick up a coffee mug. ("Like coals to Newcastle" - ha!)
Please share something with us about your week.
Speaking of souvenirs!
I was looking for something this afternoon, and rediscovered this.
Gifted at my '64 confirmation - and for the next 4 years - my parents took pains to commemorate vacations with a sterling silver charm. Back home, they'd even take to the jewelers to be soldered on.
Never particularly fond of the bracelet, it's resided in Grandma Hanson's jewelery box for the last 50 years.
Any ideas what I might do with it?
And speaking of grandmothers.....
(Ha, how's that for a lame segue? It will all make sense in a second.)
I've a real love/hate relationship with summer's network television. For the life of me, I don't understand why Tom chooses to watch The Bachelor/ette, Love Island, etc.
OK. Once upon a time I was a big fan, too. And from what I can gather, those shows' popularity is growing.
But! Remember how crazy popular these amigos were?
As a 'baby boomer' myself, ya. I'm biased.
Wouldn't it be a kick if ABC were to produce a Bachelor/Bachelorette show featuring only singles of a certain age? No-one under 65 need apply.
I'd watch! ... You?
Have a great rest of the week, everyone ... stay safe!
Hugs, Myra







I'm a total non-fan of network TV. As for the bracelet, I'd wear it or give it to someone who might find it meaningful.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your ideas, Judy! I just may wear it to church this Sunday.
DeleteThat's cool about the bracelet! I would bequeath it to one of your granddaughters or both to share equally! I'm sure lots of good memories there from trips taken in the past with your parents.
ReplyDeleteBeen to one lighthouse in Point Loma area of San Diego. It was an impressive sight.
betty
You know, I was thinking about my grands! But like so many 'olden' things, I fear they have no interest.
DeleteI loved Golden Girls, I would not watch old people on one and have never watched bathchor or ettes and never will. my hubby watches Naked and afraid. which is worse? when he says they are lost in amazon, nothing to eat etc etc, I say they can aske the camera man and the producers for food. get my drift?
ReplyDeleteif the bracelet is silver, sell it to a collector? ha ha… I collect nothing so don't ask... ha ha
I don't look for lighthouses, but have seen 3 and did climb to the 5th step in one on Hilton head island.. my kids, hubby and dad went to the top. why is my question? I know there are millions fascinated with them and some of them are really beautiful.
That's a good idea to offer your bracelet to a collector. It amazes me how much of my childhood is now showing up in vintage stores.
DeleteExactly, Sandra! I just can't feel someone's 'peril' when there are scads of cameramen, etc.
DeleteKathy, I'm right there with you!
Wonderful post, Mevely. So many things to comment about here:
ReplyDeleteI'd have that bracelet valued. Pure silver with charms would be quite valuable.
We have Love Island here too. Don't know if it's the same one you have on your TV. Good viewing because of the bikinis.
I liked The Golden Girls.
Great choice of song by Josh Groban. As you know, I have known Father Francis Maple for a few years. I have made a video of him singing "Walk On" - here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW4-iHiBKTI
Also, as a treat, here is me singing the same song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbpokxw3hs
God bless.
Such a treat! If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you're the King's long-deceased twin brother! :)
DeleteI concur with other comments that you should have the bracelet appraised and then make a decision. I also have a large chunky charm bracelet that I haven't worn in years. I think the reasons are found in the description - large/chunky.
ReplyDeleteThanks! More a fan of yellow gold, I suppose it never occurred to me that silver might be of value.
DeleteI love lighthouses, and we've visited quite a few. Even climbed to the top of a couple. But here's what's reeeeally cool: amateur radio operators all over the world operate from lighthouses for a couple of contest-like weekends in August each year. My hubby and I were part of a team that put the Tybee Island lighthouse on the air for the very first time, and it was a BLAST! Hot as Hades, though. We ended up doing it for a few years. Lots of fun.
ReplyDeleteSong that I think of with light? "Brighten the Corner Where You Are." (Which I'm probably going to be singing to myself for the next couple hours now...)
What an adventure! Well, except for the heat. One couldn't throw open the windows?
DeleteNow, I thinking that would make a great setting for a who-done-it.
I have nothing against lighthouses, but they don't exactly infuse me with excitement and I'd never go out of my way to see one.
ReplyDeleteOf course, I wouldn't go out of my way to see the Shroud of Turin, either - which proves that the ability to excite me is minimal.
"You'll Never Walk Alone" may not excite me, but it induces acute sentimentality and the prospect of tears. I love it.
My mother used to have a silver charm bracelet similar to yours. It was made in the 1920's. My father HATED it because it "jingled" every time she wore it.
So Mom gave it to one of my aunts - - and later found out that it was worth over $2,000.
Would you like some rain?
Tennessee has a surplus this summer and I'm trying to give it away...
WOW. I'm definitely going to beat feet for a reputable jewelers.
DeleteBTW, you may have closed your blog to comments, but both Tom and I shared it to our FB pages.
Many thanks for sharing my post on FB. I always get tired of receiving hateful comments from the leftists.
DeleteI have a charm bracelet tucked away somewhere from my high school days . . . Wonder what I did with it? And we used to watch the Bachelor/ette shows, but really don't tune in anymore. I like your idea for a show with the older folks who are widowed or divorced. That could be interesting!
ReplyDeleteBlessing, Myra!
Wouldn't it be funny, Martha? There's a lady at our church who reminds me of Rue McClanahan's character and prompted this idea. Peggy is 82 years young and an incorrigible flirt.
DeleteWe watch so little network TV these days. I was never a fan of the bachelor/ette series, nor any of those reality shows that have arguing and fighting and fake tears. I can't even watch Dancing WTS anymore and used to love it. I took an old charm bracelet and turned it into a charm necklace that I have gotten many compliments on. Perhaps a Golden Girls type dating show could be fun... or not! LOL
ReplyDeleteI can't believe (that) I was hooked on the Bachelor series for so long. FAKE is right! Your charm necklace sounds wonderful!
DeleteI love your bracelet! The Golden Girls are so funny! I haven't watched many shows this summer. I do not care for reality tv. Loved your answers! Have a nice Wednesday!
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Thank you so much, Lori!
DeleteJosh Groban can deliver a song like no other. Carousel had some beautiful songs, esp. this one.
ReplyDeleteGolden Girls is a sit com across the ages! Dorothy was my favorite; she could deliver an acidy line like no one's business!!
I'm embarrassed to admit, (I think) I can sing the entire score by memory. Yep, Carousel made an impression. :)
DeleteOne of the things I learned on vacation is that there are no (zero...it's a number) manned lighthouses any longer. Every single one of them is automated.
ReplyDeleteYou could hook the bracelet to the ends of a chain or just loop it around a chain and wear it that way. I have a couple of necklaces that were sold that way. You can wear the necklace and bracelet separately or put them together for one "meatier" necklace.
Now you've got my 'what iffer' going! Thanks, Stacy.
DeleteThe only lighthouse I've visited is at Point Reyes --about 90 miles away. I always felt like I was walking to it on a granite rib of our continent -- an ancient living thing sustaining so much life.
ReplyDeleteWonderful description, Geo! My mind is full.
DeleteI have been to one lighthouse and I did not climb it.
ReplyDeleteI have those same bracelets - charms. I guess we could sell them - they are silver.
Do you have anyone who would like it?
sandie
Sadly, I don't think so.
DeleteI would have a shadow box made for that bracelet, smiles. I couldn't part with it, just saying.
ReplyDeleteTV...I am so sick of the news. I grew up watching the Golden Girls. That was when TV was still somewhat "innocent". We don't watch much reality TV, I do like Mountain Men though. We have been watching Yellowstone, although, last night, it was overboard and it really ticked me off-how much violence and language. I can see why its on the 10 pm slot. ANYWAYS...I enjoyed your post, smiles.
Now THAT's a great out-the-box idea! (No pun intended!) If I find it's not worth much $, I may do just that.
DeleteI would wear the bracelet... I love charm bracelets. Love the Golden Girls! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteI have a sterling silver charm bracelet I adore it, the memories. Started a 14k gold one but could never afford to finish it. I love how they jingle jangle.My bracelet is filled with memories. My friend Kathy who I Lost last year, was in the Navy. Sent me several charms from ports she visited. I don't like the modern charm bracelets. Not to mention the price of a charm costs as much as a good pair of shoes! YIKES! I guess I have such a love for vintage. Your bracelet is very lovely. The Golden Girls were crazy weren't they? Not a huge fan of TV unless it is vintage too. Too much blah blah blah garbage. Violence, gee hmmm..... you wonder where people get ideas? Between Hollywood movies, Celebrites hate of our president, TV on network channels and video garbage add bullying and you have won the round for What causes people to shoot up schools, businesses, etc.! If anyone truly cared they'd do something about mental health too. :-(
ReplyDelete