Saturday, June 22, 2019

From Coosada with love :)



Currently …..
No, this isn't my hand.  But yes.  I'm a leftie.


Outside my window
Oh, let's not even go there.
'Going to pretend I've been sent to a sauna.  Bring on the white robes and mint water!
  

Oh my goodness!
For a little town, Tuskegee's VA facilities sure occupy an enormous footprint!  After several false steps Wednesday morning, we finally located the right building.  Audio book in hand, I settled in to wait.


This window looks like it could be easily unlatched -- and beyond is a 4-story drop --  hence the barrier.  I think this is a sad reminder of the increasing number of veteran suicides.

Even as a 'walk-in' Tom was taken right back.  Both of us can't get over how nice everyone is!  Except we've learned his hearing aid won't be returned for 2-4 weeks.  Ugh.


Good to know!
The Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site was really something!  I knew very little about their history ... but still found it keenly interesting.



The faces ...



The voices ...

I don't even fold fitted sheets ...
Forget about the parachute-folding challenge!

Crude, but actual simulator




I'm thankful!
So, I had a 'critical notice' (e-mail) from Turbo Tax.  Apologetically, they owned up to an error in their calculations and suggested we may have underpaid our State of Arizona tax return.

*Heavy sigh*
I logged into TT and let the gremlins begin the job of amending the return.  'Wrote a check and asked Tom to come sign.

Instead of doing so, he picks up the phone and calls the AZ Dept. of Revenue.   A nice lady pulls up our return; and, after a few minutes says we should just disregard that notice from TT.  Go figure, huh?!


In the kitchen
So yesterday, Tom decided he wanted to make up a package of bacon.  Let's just say, for a while there our kitchen resembled the aftermath of the Exxon Valdez.


I'm reading (listening)


Private investigator Jessica Shaw is used to getting anonymous tips.  But after receiving a photo of a three-year-old kidnapped from Los Angeles twenty-five years ago, Jessica is stunned to recognize the little girl as herself.

One reviewer has compared protagonist, Jessica Shaw, to Lee Childs' Jack Reacher.  I'm not halfway through, but methinks he may be right!


I'm looking forward to
Spending more time with new friends.
It's been a very long time since Tom and I've met another couple where we each hit it off.  Jean and I know each other from Bible study, but I was concerned Tom and Bob might not have much to talk about.  Ha.  After supper and numerous sweet tea refills our waitress was giving us pointed looks ...  and yet they kept on yakking.


A thought to carry with you

From the museum's "War Room"



Y'all have a wonderful Sunday!  Be safe!
Hugs, Myra




33 comments:

  1. Nice you two met another couple. I hope Tom's hearing aids get returned soon, that is tough to be without, I consider mine essential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to pause more often and consider what it's like for him and other hearing-challenged folks.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this. I too respect the Tuskegee Airmen and their contributions to THE WAR! Gotta hand it to Tom for the call about Taxes. I laughed at my second year with an error on our tax returns to the IRS!
    All in all you are always an interesting visit. Go Ahead,give Big Tom a KISS for a gold star!
    sending love from NC,
    Sherry & jack (she is asleep and will be by tomorrow!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: on the H-aid. Mine were returned sooner than their prediction. But there weren't as many when I had the aids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great that Tom is getting such great service at the VA there. You sometimes hear "horror" stories about care elsewhere (I'm sure Phoenix is on top of the list). I bet the Tuskegee Airmen exhibit was a good one; would have been interested in seeing it myself. Wow about the Turbo Tax; good for Tom calling and finding out no amends (and money) were needed for the state tax here. And yea for new friends! Always a blessing.

    Hubby's dad was a parachute folder type of person in WW2. I don't think I would have been good at it myself :)

    This year in Phoenix has been so weird weather wise. It was actually below 100 (98 degrees today). Imagine that!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I remember when the Phoenix VA was the epicenter of the scandal. A couple of Tom's friends still complain about the long waits.
      Wow on your temps. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. So great to hear you've found new friends. The museum looks interesting - I remember sitting in a simulator like the one in the photo.

    Wishing you and yours well. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting! Were you once a pilot, then?

      Delete
    2. No Mevely, I was not a pilot. But I was a vegetarian pirate ... I had a carrot on my shoulder.

      Seriously ... when I was in management I managed a training project where we had to train employees to use various equipment. I visited a company that specialised in simulations ... they would make a dummy machine that would act precisely like the real one for you to train on. They showed me an air-plane simulator and as I sat at the controls the whole "box" I was in would behave like a plane - i.e. tilt left and right as I moved the controls, fly upwards or down etc ... all with full vision on a screen and sound effects of engines etc ...

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  6. I will tell you now, #2 in the series Jessica Shaw will not be out until Oct... I loved the book, read it about 3 weeks ago and was ready to download the 2nd one. NO ONE can compare to Jack Reacher for me, but she came close.
    the poster is good, but I think it should read freedom from needs, not want.. my brain works in mysterious ways, I get the message and agree.
    it has been 18 years since we had a couple that we socialized with. so happy you found them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October? Darn! Until some lame-brain cast Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher (whaaaa?) he used to be my favorite.

      Delete
  7. OH NOOOOO on the wait on hearing aids. we had bob's repaired, she did it in five minutes, 150.00 but it is back, his hearing I mean. so frustrating living with someone who can't hear...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The museum looks fascinating, but so sorry Tom has to wait on his hearing aids. I know that has to be frustrating for both of you. Enjoy the time you get to spend with new friends!
    Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martha. Have a great new week!

      Delete
  9. It's been a while since I've been to Tuskegee. We need to do another roadtrip.
    We had nasty storms yesterday afternoon and the looked like they were headed your way. Hope all is well but you may be out picking up limbs :)
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMW, I saw that shelf cloud over BHM airport yesterday … amazing and evil looking at the same time. So far, knock wood, it's stayed well away from Chapman Road.

      Delete
  10. If only it was a sauna!! That is a long wait on the hearing aid. The museum looks interesting. I do fold sheets. Well that's unusual about the taxes. Oh my, we buy the pre-cooked bacon at Costco. No mess involved and it's delicious. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we've only one set of 'good' sheets I just take it right out of the dryer and onto the bed. Avoidance! :)

      Delete
  11. I'm way behind in reading blogs (and everything else) but just wanted to assure you I'm here (I think...).
    Glad to hear that Tom got a quick appointment and you didn't have to pay extra taxes..

    What really rang a bell is when you said you don't fold fitted sheets. I've been trying to figure out how to fold them for 30 years and never succeeded yet.
    Parachutes would be easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to 'see' you back again, Jon! You're probably right about the parachutes. I just take the sheets out of the dryer and onto the bed. Life presents enough struggles without having to worry about that.

      Delete
  12. Okay - at least Tom will wear hearing aides - I have a husband who refuses - try that - lol.
    Great about the taxes - that was surely a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, THAT would be rough. Maybe when he's good and tired, he'll come around?

      Delete
  13. Sorry Tom has to wait so long for his hearing aids to be returned! I enjoyed your "Currently..." post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mevely, I put my hearing aids in when when tinnitus gets too bad or when our grandkids visit --all soft-spoken. I have learned to read my wife's lips, they are lovely and save batteries. I also sure like how you write. Following.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have enjoyed this post immensely. I hope you will take a moment to visit my friend Iggy (Karl). He has a blog he did not blog at for wuite some time and Friday he put up a post. I think you would enjoy it. The mention of the Tuskegee airman reminded me that Iggy posts about some wonderful things. He is here: intenseguy.blogspot.com/ Do you know that his neighbor was once Pearl S. BUck? I am so jealous. hee hee hee! When I have the luxury of visiting with my friend Sharon and we hit a breakfast spot on the weekend with the masses we always get that look, Oh My Goodness, aren't you leaving yet? HaHaHa! I am happy you have some new friends. What a sweet time you all had.Hoping the hearing aids for Tom are safe and sound with you now. Always a pleasure to stop by and say hello. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing on the h-aids, yet. :( (Patience is not our strong suit.) Thanks for the recommendation and link to Iggy's spot!

      Delete
  16. I'm glad to hear your honey is being treated well at the VA hospital. Some of them are terrific and others? Not so much. I'm glad you guys lucked out with a good one. It's a bummer about his hearing aids, though. Life is sooooo much easier since my hubby started wearing his, and I'm sure it's been the same for you guys.

    How cool that you visited the Tuskegee museum! There aren't very many of those airmen left now, but we had the pleasure of chatting with one at a big WWII air show in Atlanta. He was a delight!

    Oooo, that book reeeeally sounds good!

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was … I seldom give anything 5 stars, but this deserved it. Sweet SURPRISE ending!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!