Sunday, June 2, 2019

Currently in Coosada




For today --

Outside my window …..


1980-something

Because I loved the Allamandas which used to thrive at my mom's, I recently got it in my head we needed one of our own.

Never mind that they're best suited for tropical conditions -- and we're in a drought.  I can usually (justifiably) be found guilty of involuntary plant-slaughter.  But I was determined.



It's been touch-and-go, but I do believe it's going to survive.




I'm pondering …..
Have you noticed the increasing number of prescription television advertisements?
Pretty names, Celebrex ... Lyrica ... Trelogy ... Ozempic.  
(Who gets to decide those names?)

Because I pay little attention, I don't know if they're meant to cure epilepsy -- or athlete's foot.  Nevertheless, I can't help but sing along with their catchy jingles.

Oh, how far we've come from, 
"Plop-plot, fizz-fizz, oh what a relief it is!"




In the kitchen …..
Have you ever gone to straighten something -- which led to something else.  And before you know it, 4 hours have elapsed?


In our hurry to unpack last March, contents were shoved this way-and-that in kitchen cabinets and the laundry niche.  All the while, me bemoaning how little room there was.  


In a fit of OCD yesterday, I purged and swept.  And purged some more.  The upshot?  Now we've cabinets worthy of the Dewey Decimal System ... plus, Tom and I each have our own 'junk' drawer.  Simple pleasures!




Good to know …..
Except, I don't.
This little gadget must have belonged to a grandparent, but I haven't a clue what it's used for.
Anyone?
  



I'm reading listening to ….
So surprised to realize how much I'm enjoying reading-via-Walkman during my morning hikes!

Only one has disappointed.  I can't decide if it's the narrator's annoying voice, or I've outgrown this particular author.

Does this resonate with anyone else?  I'm not saying I'm so smart (ha!), but realize this best-selling author spent more time on irrelevant  backgrounds and visuals than action.



Oh, my goodness! …..
Speaking of books, Victor's having a give-away!

If you're unfamiliar with his quirky and insightful blog, I urge you to visit Time for Reflections.




I'm looking forward to …..
Tomorrow, and the day after that!  No particular reason; I'm just loving my crazy, albeit lazy life!



A thought to carry with you ...
This, from someone whose page I follow on Facebook.

"I was asked recently what was on my birthday gift list.  I thought about it for a few seconds.  I answered back, "Time."  The one thing that money can never buy and no one can ever make more of.

At the end of my life, will I look back and be appreciative, show value for, and be grateful for the gifts that people bought for me? Maybe certain things. Everything has its place after all. I’m just saying that most likely toward the end of my years I will look back and be in a paradoxical perspective in that I will have much gratitude and appreciation for the time spent with loved ones, yet at the same time crave more. Time will not make us happy. Happiness comes when we make time.

Let’s make the most of this time, this day, this hour."

-- Paul Emmanuel Schmidt





Have yourselves a delicious new week … stay safe!

Hugs, Myra






22 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Mevely, for mentioning my book give-away and for your support and encouragement for my work.

    God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick search found that your unknown gizmo was used for cutting the tip off of soft boiled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy! Now that you mention it, I've a fuzzy memory ….

      Delete
  3. I sure love the photos you share. Thank you for sending me to Victor's blog. I am new following him.We bought a new bed so reorganizing everything. Had to buy shorter curtains. Waiting on my sheers. But since I banged up that left knee I am moving slower.So one thing at a time. The hubby has been so sick with his asthma and unable to breathe that he finally feels better and today he was like his old self at lunch.We tried the all you can soup, salad and Cheddar Biscuit's at Red Lobster. He and Rebekah each had a second salad. I barely made it through one soup and salad but I am a sucker for a good biscuit, or two. Love your flower. Good luck with it. We have had so much rain and everything is green but the weeds were tall and so was our grass. Waiting out an afternoon storm.I hope your SONday is wonderful. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! So sorry to hear you and Avery are both on the injured reserve list. Please take it easy … baby steps!

      Delete
  4. That's true, a very far way from plop-plop fizz-fizz.... Way to go on purging and sweeping. Enjoy your time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I think my vim n' vigor's up and gone for the foreseeable future.

      Delete
  5. Time. Yes indeed!! I enjoyed your post, Myra! I have drawers, cupboards, and a closet that need to be purged and reorganized... and we have only been here 2.5 years. It is so easy to just shove things out of sight. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Someday I'll tackle the closets, but right now I'm content to pretend they don't exist. (*smile*)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this tonight. I wanted to know what those thingies were and someone knew. Who knew?? I sure need to do my cabinets but then I don't want to! Life is funny that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I get that 'itch' … but, honestly, it doesn't come around but every few years.

      Delete
  7. Ahhh I smiled at mine and Tom's junk drawers! Love it. Oh and l sure do like Tom next to the pretty lady in red. that has to be new here.
    AND I love the line: I can usually (justifiably) be found guilty of involuntary plant-slaughter. ..... Me 'n you both but I am proud of not killing my Daisy (yet).
    As always a good visit. Heading over to Victor's site.
    Nice day here in the Carolinas,
    Sherry & jack (I'm later than sherry today)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, THANKS! That pix on the sidebar was taken by Pastor Janet after Easter services.

      Delete
  8. I do know what all those meds ate for lol. But I too wonder how they cone up with the names for them. Alphabet soup maybe. Put all the letters in a pot and scoop them out and see what you have. Great you organized and purged! Envious you each have a junk drawer.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I just don't like to share my 'junk'! Alphabet soup … that's a good one!
      Singing, "Trelo-gy … the power of 1-2-3, trilogy!"

      Delete
  9. I'm glad Stacy discovered what that contraption is. I first thought it was a magnifying glass/scissor for sewing, but the chicken confounded me.
    So - why would anyone cut the tip off a soft boiled egg?

    I admire you for infusing library tactics into your kitchen. Everything here (my territory) is still an unorganized mess. After over four years, I still haven't found room for anything.

    Those endless prescription TV commercials perplex and INFURIATE me. Pill-popping is the new "norm". There's a pill for everything and we are apparently supposed to be gulping them constantly. Everyone is a victim and the recipient of a malady.

    The only ones who benefit are the doctors and the drug companies.
    Plop-plop, fizz,fizz is a thing of the past....
    Sorry for the rant - but I'm riled up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies necessary, my friend. All these drugs remind me of "Go Ask Alice."
      I fear I exaggerated a bit ... I'd be hard pressed to even define the Dewey Decimal system.

      Delete
  10. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mevely, for featuring my first book in The Glade Series!!! What a blessing you've given me, and I am honored to be featured here on your blog, my friend.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome … I'm just sorry I hadn't done so before now!

      Delete
  11. I am guessing at the author, maybe it is James Patterson, for the first time ever, I checked out two of his books, the only ones I have not read and finished neither one for the same reason you gave here. I returned to library unread..
    good luck with your plant, I to have murdered a few in my life.
    I can think of nothing that the chicken scissors could do!
    I have a post coming up sometime this week about the same subject of purge except mine doesn't have a happy ending. it looks the same as when I started, but it took 2 hours to leave it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close, but no. It's a former favorite, Sue Grafton. Stacy's comment actually resurrected some OLD memories … stay tuned for a share featuring my childhood egg cup and those chicken scissors!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!