Saturday, January 26, 2019

Saturday 9


What fun to participate in this week's episode of  Crazy Sam's Saturday 9!  Come on along and play!



These are a few of …..


Unfamiliar with this episode's tune?   
Um, not so fast!   Generally, I despise when an artist puts his/her own twist on a well-loved song ….. but I'm curiously drawn to Jennie Abrahamson's version.  Like a dreamscape, almost.   You can hear it HERE.

* * *


This week's artist is very happy living in Stockholm, but she refers to Paris as 'a flirt.'  She enjoys her time there so much she always wants to return.  Is there a place you've visited that tugs at your heart and imagination, tempting you to return?
I'm so taken with that term, 'a flirt'!  Isn't that a great way of putting it?   I'll say Santa Fe (NM) - right at the bottom of 'the Hill' where I grew up.


Jennie has said her music has been heavily influenced by 80's pop, which was popular in her early teen years.  Are your favorite songs the ones you listened to when you were growing up?
Generally, yes.  Anything by the 60's 'British invasion' brings a smile to my face.


"My Favorite Things" is from The Sound of Music.  Crazy Sam's high school claim to fame was playing Sister Margaretta in the senior class production.  Though not a big part, her performance lives on because relatives love embarrassing her with pictures of her in an especially unflattering nun's habit.  Who took an embarrassing photo of you?  What were you doing?
I, too, had a bit role as a nun in our high school production.  Because I'd not learned to skillfully apply cosmetics, I basically looked like a giant nose wrapped in a white cone.


The lyrics celebrate "brown paper packages tied up in strings."  What was the last box you received in the mail?
Martha Jane generously gifted me with not one - but two - sets of her books … one for our church library, the other to enjoy and pay forward!  (Ahem, anyone?) So blessed!


It mentions doorbells and sleigh bells.  What's the most recent bell or alarm that you heard?
My phone's weather app alerted us to flash flooding conditions a few days ago.
(By the way, I sure appreciate all the 'thumb's up' about my helmet idea in my last post.  I really expected to be laughed at.)


This song has nice things to say about cold weather, specifically snowflakes and mittens.  What do you like about winter?
Oh man, where do I start?   Oversize hoodies, fur hats, hot toddies, crackling fireplaces, thick stews, icicles … make my heart happy.


Dog bites and bee stings are singled out as things that can leave us feeling sad.  What's most recently given you the blues?
When I allow myself to dwell in the pages of old scrapbooks.  I have to remind myself not to grieve because it's over ….. but smile because it happened.


In 2018 when this song was released, Roger Federer won the Australian Open.  Are you good with a racket?
Ha!  Not even a little bit.  'Back when' I took lessons in school the instructor would get so annoyed at my switching hands (v. learning the backhand swing).


Random Question:  Your local zoo announced the hatching of three snowy owlets.  All males.  You won the honor of naming them.  Go ahead:
OK!  I considered the Magi ('wise' owls, get it?) … or even my favorite presidents (better not go there!).   In the end, I decided to pay tribute to some of Montgomery's own renowned citizens:

Nocturnal Nat (King Cole)
Birdie Bart (Starr)
Hootin' Hank (Williams)


* * *


T-t-t-that's all folks!
Have a super Saturday … stay safe!

Hugs, Myra    

    

   



35 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE THE GIF OF YOU!!! the last box in the mail was from Amazon, which is pretty common, and was vitamins. love the names of your owls. I don't like music like this, have never watched Soundof Music and never will.. I might be the only woman in the world that doesn't. favorte place to go is Ormond Beach Florida. no photos to embarrass me because I never let anyone take photos of me... well now that I say that, I do hate the double chin in the photos of you and I this past year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for teaching me how to make the gifs! Forget double chins; I just remember the laughter. What a great day that was!

      Delete
  2. I have a Bart Starr #15 home and an away jersey for going to games at Lambeau.

    Only the Greatest Quarterback Of All Time!

    Goooooooooo Packers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovin' the Packers, yes … but my #1 QB will always be Roger Staubach.

      Delete
  3. I love that sentiment you shared about going through your scrapbooks! So wise. Reminds me of what they taught us back in school -- “Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower, we will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your quote has been one of my very favorites for years and years!

      Delete
    2. YIPES! That's one of my favorite poems, too. (And here I thought I was the only one who had those words tattooed on her heart...) :)

      Delete
  4. Greetings from New Mexico :) Really enjoyed your answers this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's good to see someone else from New Mexico here in Blogland!

      Delete
  5. First I gotta say I love your Owl names. LOL I enjoy just reading your answers and smiling where I agree (or fit). I do love New Mexico BUT,,,,Alaska & San Antonio continually call to me.
    And the song "My heart goes Where the Wild Goose Goes."

    Not only your answers but someone who comes up with a blog entry like this. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto what you said about Alaska … and I love that song. Humming it in my mind right now!

      Delete
  6. PS: Love the signout photo..... Hugs to Brother Tom!
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. You picked cool names for the owls, but I'm still kinds partial to the idea of naming them after the three magi. Very clever!

    I think most of us are most attached to the music that was popular when we were young. I love the music from the '50s and '60s, but thanks to my extended family's proclivity for signing along with Mitch and my encouragement of our children sharing their music with me when THEY were young, my musical tastes are rather eclectic and weird. (You should hear the strange mix of music my hubby and I play while we shoot pool... )

    Let's see, a place to "flirt" with? That'd have to be Oahu, Hawaii. Smarticus and I had a magical time there on R&R during his tour in Nam.

    Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. To borrow a phrase, having to choose only one era is not dissimilar to nailing Jello to a tree. I'm still apt to sing along with the bouncing ball. :)

      Delete
  8. Very cool owl names! I enjoyed reading your answers to Sat 9.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your picture at the end of your post!! Hugs to you too!! Cute owl names!! Santa Fe is on my bucket list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, but when I lived there I couldn't wait to move away from both Los Alamos and Santa Fe! "The City Different", I think they call it.

      Delete
  10. I love that you enjoy winter. So many people do not. I think it is beautiful...mostly when it snows. I have not had much snow. It snowed a little yesterday and I watched it like a little kid. It is like magic!
    Loved your owl names! Super cute! Have a nice weekend! Loved your answers!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, another snow lover! I've not seen any since 2000 when mother and I took a trip to see the ice sculpting contest in Breckenridge. Cross fingers, we may see some flakes here Tuesday.

      Delete
  11. You were great naming the owls! So very creative in the names! Loved the picture of you at the end of the post! I often wonder about visiting Santa Fe and wondering how much changed since our brief 2 years there. It was horrid to live there but they did treat the tourists nice at certain parts of the town, so coming back as a tourist I'm sure things would be so different, plus the fact that its 20 years later and probably the people who moved in there are more than the locals now.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty! Regarding someplace one used to love (or loathe) is likely to cause some surprises; emotions, too.

      Delete
  12. Love "My Favorite Things" and from time to time I found myself humming it. I got a package this afternoon, a gift I ordered for a friend's birthday. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a better 'feel good' song? Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  13. I won't attempt to compete with all of the previous comments - but I really laughed when you described yourself (in the high school musical production) as "a giant nose wrapped in a white cone".

    Old scrapbooks and old photos always give me the blues. I'm grateful for what I had....but it is infused with a burden of sadness and regret...

    I'd like to return to the Southern California that I knew when I was growing up. Unfortunately it's a different world now.

    Santa Fe, NM is fantastic. My mother was absolutely in love with Red River - as she knew it in the 1940's.

    What do I like about winter???
    The fact that spring will eventually come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad someone smiled at my reference to the would-be nun! Regret … yes, in bushels-full. I suppose some places are best revisited in our memories.

      Delete
  14. We seem to have similar tastes in music. The 60s Beatles, Rolling Stones etc ... and Nat King Cole and Hank Williams.

    Wishing you well in this cold weather. Take care.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to good music, good times … and warm, woolen mittens! :)

      Delete
  15. Thanks so much for the shout out, Myra!!! Do hope you and others will enjoy reading the books as much as I enjoyed writing them.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. … and I'm eagerly anticipating others' reactions! Thank you again!

      Delete
  16. I will be singing that song all day thanks to you. My favorite package this week was school pictures of two of my out of state grand sons. They are growing up to be such fine young men. My favorite place...back home where my grandparents lived in West Virginia. They are sadly long gone but my memories live on. My favorite sport...reading blogs and I so enjoy yours! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Pam! Yes, "My Favorite Things" is a favorite song of mine, as well. I look forward to seeing your grandsons' new pictures!

      Delete
  17. Those songs and people bring back so many memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!