I'm tickled to join with Terri n' friends' Medley today! If you'd like to join the party just click HERE!
National Pie Day is celebrated annually on January 23. (Not to be confused with March 14 which is PI Day.) National Pie Day was created simply to celebrate the pie. It is a day for all to bake or cook their favorite pies. Even more importantly, it is a day set aside for all to enjoy eating pies!
Okay, fess up! Tell us your top three favorites pies.
Egg Custard, Peanut Butter, Pumpkin
Will you have some pie today?
If only in my dreams!
While we are talking about food … are you a picky eater or are you ready to try almost any new food?
Because I strongly dislike some foods (eg, fruit, liver, lamb), I guess you could call me 'picky.')
What is the worst thing you have ever eaten?
That award would go to sushi. I can't wrap my mind around the thought of eating bait.
Baking could be considered an art, as could cooking. How do you define art?
I'm certainly not qualified to define what is - or isn't - art!
In short, I'd say whatever is esthetically pleasing to one's senses. (And yes, that includes children's crayon drawings!)
Tell us a really stupid joke that made you laugh.
OK, I'm going out on a limb and hope no-one's offended by religious humor. (Normally a stern sort of fellow, my uncle-the-minister loved to tell such jokes!) I thought of Uncle Lu when, during a live show, Sean Dietrich poked fun at his own Southern Baptist roots:
"Presbyterians, you say? Heck. Presbyterians are just Southern Baptists who like to drink a little but can't afford to be Episcopalians."
January 23 is also National Handwriting Day. Do you have nice handwriting?
I wouldn't call it awful.
Undisciplined, perhaps? My mother would use a ruler and #2 pencil to draw straight lines on my tablets. Still, that didn't stop a childhood pen-pal from asking if I ever considered writing billboards. (Stung, I never wrote back.)
Did cursive writing come naturally, or did you practice in those double-lined practice books until your fingers hurt?
I never heard of those practice books! But I'm still practicing! Every now and then I'll grow bored with the way I write an "A" or a "G" and alter it.
I still find (the letters) "H" and "V" challenging. Are there any letters you wish you could pen prettier? .. or, do you care?
Given a choice, I prefer printing.
Tell us something random about your week!
Because of my exaggerated fear of tornados, I used to think I could never live in Alabama. Curiously however, I wasn't particularly freaked last Saturday … more annoyed when our internet connection kept going off and on.
I'm not going to dwell on the possibilities -- but I did take a page from what a long-time resident related -
Because friends of theirs were killed by a tornado several years ago, he and his wife adopted their two little boys. Citing (that) most storm-related deaths are caused by head injuries, one of the first things he did was go out and purchase hockey helmets for the whole family.
… So guess who ordered two DOT-approved motorcycle helmets off eBay yesterday? (It's OK … go ahead and laugh.) Tom thinks I've lost my mind, but I'd rather have them and not need them!
* * *
Color me, giving thanks for a gorgeous day in the neighborhood!
Thanks so much for visiting! Be safe!
Hugs,
Myra





Myra, I really enjoyed reading this post! And the joke about Presbyterians. :-) but best of all was the comment about not wanting to eat bait! Thanks for the laugh. Have a great Wednesday!
ReplyDeleteWhy, thank YOU! Doesn't it feel wonderful to laugh?
DeleteI am ROFL at the helmets. I may have to order hurricane helments now that you added to my what if fears of hurricanes. I can tell you that with our near miss of Irma slamming us and a night of windy horror waiting for one of our 7 trees to fall on the house, I went out and bought a whistle to wear around my neck in case I get trapped by falling tree I can blow it for help... now that I wrote this I am wondering where I put it.😜 I am a very picky eater, I don't eat food that has spices of any kind in it. the list of what I don't eat is to long for this comment. and bait is on the list. I rarely use cursive writing except to sign my name. my printing is ok but writing is not. and when people get on the soap box about not teaching cursive in school any more I say who cares. I never use it
ReplyDeleteWhat a splendid idea! I'm putting a whistle on my Wal-Mart list right now.
DeleteI had never thought of using helmets to stay safe during storms. but what a great idea. We lived in tornado alley for six years, many a scary night we experienced!
ReplyDeleteIf we ever live somewhere like that again, helmets will be added to our storm shelter.
Blessings~
I wouldn't have thought of that either! There's never any guarantees, but I sure believe in being prepared!
DeleteI'm celebrating Pie Day by making a Cheeseburger pie. It's on my blog today. I do remember practicing my hand writing over and over and did have one of those practice books. I do prefer writing to printing. But neither one is great. Most people here head to their basements when a tornado is threatens. But I no longer have one, Next best is the bathtub they say. I just hope I never have to worry about it. Glad you have a gorgeous day to enjoy. Here we are having rain on top of all the piles of snow... Happy Wednesday!
ReplyDeleteLove,
'ma'
How I wish we had a basement! Your pie sounds amazing; cheeseburgers are one of my favorite things in the whole wide world!
DeleteMyra... I was terrified of tornadoes when I lived in Texas. I'm all for the helmets. Safety first. Enjoy your week.
ReplyDeleteHow well I recall crawling into the closet beneath the staircase when I lived in West Texas. Thank you so much for visiting!
DeleteNothing wrong with religious jokes. Especially Catholic ones:
ReplyDeleteA man arrives at the gates of Heaven. St. Peter asks, "Religion?"
The man says, "Methodist."
St. Peter looks down his list, and says, "Go to room 24, but be very quiet as you pass room 8."
Another man arrives at the gates of Heaven. "Religion?"
"Baptist."
"Go to room 18, but be very quiet as you pass room 8."
A third man arrives at the gates. "Religion?"
"Jewish."
"Go to room 11, but be very quiet as you pass room 8."
The man says, "I can understand there being different rooms for different religions, but why must I be quiet when I pass room 8?"
St. Peter tells him, "Well the Catholics are in room 8, and they think they're the only ones here.
*******
A man died and went to Heaven. When he got to the pearly gate Saint Peter told him that new rules were in effect due to the advances in education on earth. In order to gain admittance a prospective heavenly soul must answer two questions:
1. Name two days of the week that begin with "T"
2. How many seconds are in a year?
The man thought for a few minutes and answered...
1. The two days of the week that begin with "T" are Today and Tomorrow.
2. There are 12 seconds in a year.
Saint Peter said, "OK, I'll buy the Today and Tomorrow answer, even though it's not the answer I expected. But how did you get 12 seconds in a year?"
The man replied, "Well, January 2nd, February 2nd, March 2nd, etc..."
Saint Peter lets him in without another word.
God bless.
Good jokes, Victor!!
DeleteVictor, these are so great! I particularly loved the first one, and can imagine two or three individuals who 'resemble' that scenario.
DeleteNo sushi for me either....nope, not happening!! I'm Baptist and I laughed at your joke, do not offend me at all. Hope your day is happy and blessed.
ReplyDeleteWhew! In these times when so many people are offended (at everything), I'm reassured. Thank you!
DeleteGee whiz. And I have about five of those motorcycle helmets I've been trying to figure out what to do with. No sushi for me … ever.
ReplyDeleteLOL on the 5 helmets! Sometimes I wonder if sushi isn't Japan's way of pulling the wool over Americans' eyes ... getting even for Hiroshima, as it were.
DeleteI like sushi but only the cooked or vegetable sushi. No raw fish for me either! Thanks for joining in, Myra!! I enjoyed your answers!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Terri! I didn't even realize tehre were cooked and vegetable varieties!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePecan, key lime/Lemon, mama's sweet tater pie.
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten egg custard, I loved mamas.
Oh yeah, I am right beside you on the sushi!
Love from a lovely day over here also..
Sherry & jack
(Key lime and lemon with a reaham cracker crust taste about the same, I love the tartness!)
I've never tried sweet potato pie! Something else for the bucket list. I love graham cracker crusts!
DeleteI live in Missouri, so I understand your fear of tornadoes. We get so many.
ReplyDeleteI will not even try sushi! Good for you! ;) I enjoyed your answers! Happy Wednesday!
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Thank you so much, Lori! Have a great day!
DeleteBest post ever Myra!! I was cracking up with the sushi as bait comment! I never thought of it that way but it is true - HA HA! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteSo glad I made you chuckle Ann! (Or, was that a chortle?)
DeleteI've been through a tornado, though not of the size they get in Alabama...the thunderstorms down there were bad enough for me, so I say whatever makes you feel better!
ReplyDeleteIt could be all hype, but ya. It does make me feel better. Thanks!
DeleteToo cute with the helmets, but better safe than sorry and whatever can help keep you safe during a tornado, go for it!
ReplyDeleteI remember practicing for hours when I was in 1st grade on penmanship. I remember making pages and pages of circles (I'm thinking to develop muscles in our fingers and wrist?) Maybe it was the Catholic school we went to at the time but we did lots of practicing with penmanship. Now I write like chicken scratch and sometimes can or cannot read what I write though in my younger days my mom liked my handwriting.
At Village Inn on Wednesdays here they have free slice of pie day. It would have been tempting to go for dinner and then get a piece of pie (and the key lime looks delicious) but alas we stayed home and kept on our eating plan (mainly because this weekend will be too much eating out or bringing food in due to this or that).
Tried sushi once; liked it but haven't gone back again for it....what does that say?
Stay safe!
betty
You two are so disciplined! (*envy*) Tom and I used to love going to Village Inn for breakfast.
DeleteMy handwriting is tragic. Not even I can read it.
ReplyDeleteI thought those bragging rights were reserved for doctors?
DeleteLoved the Presbyterian joke, and buying those helmets is no joke, but a fantastic idea, Myra! I've had a life-long fear of tornadoes myself, and living in GA isn't much better than living in Alabama. Can't tell you how many times in my life I've had to head for the basement.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Thanks, Martha! How I wish we had a basement in which to retreat.
DeleteThe helmet idea is a great one!Marsha, a blogger I know knows a phamily who's son was helping with clean up after the storms in NC. He was critically injured and we prayed long and hard for him (still do). SHe said he has a long way to go but was taking it day by day. OH I am outnumbered! we never ate sushi and our kids took us to this Japanese place they love. It is actually very good and I was one who said NEVER. THe hubby is addicted worse than me these days! BUt we go about twice a month and the prices are excellent. The CS fabulous.Go there once and they never forget you. Never forget your drink whether it is water or liquor or beer. They always ask if one of us is missing. It is a busy little place and sits next door to Ted's Montana Grill (hahaha). I am never offended by religious jokes. I am however deeply offended by politicians who have zero regard for life. THe border wall is immoral but abortion at 9 months is not! My dad would say it best, grateful not to be them at their judgement day. Mom would say, pray. Both of them were so right on. We have had snow and it is cold but always grateful for the moisture. Love visiting you! HUGS and LOVE
ReplyDeleteI love your dad's sentiment: "Grateful not to be them on judgement day"!!! That CS you cite would definitely prompt me to return again and again … even if I just ordered a salad.
DeleteThose motorcycle helmets could come in useful and save a life, you never know. I had a hard time with penmanship because I am left handed, so tend to smear as I write. I worked hard at it and my penmanship was sometimes displayed in class as being an excellent example.
ReplyDeleteI'm left-handed, too ... and yes, I recall many a smeared script (and inky hand). Good for you for overcoming!
Deletelovely joke.
ReplyDeletehave a great day
Thank you so much … and the same to you!
Delete