…. Ain't got time for the Blues!
National Candy cane Day is observed across the United States each year on December 26. In 1944, a recipe for a straight peppermint candy stick was published -- white with colored stripes. However, some stories tell of all white candy sticks in much earlier times. There are folklore tales of the origin of the candy cane; yet, there is no documented proof of its real beginning. It has been mentioned in literature since 1866 and was first known to be mentioned in association with Christmas in 1874. As early as 1882, candy canes have been hung on Christmas trees.
This week Terri asks …
Are there candy canes left in your house right now? Uh-uh. Did you hang some on your tree? Nope. Do you even like them? Not especially. Do you?
Without a graphic, today is also National Thank-You Note Day! I like receiving that thank-you note in the mail for a gift I have given. Are you good about getting thank-you notes in the mail after Christmas (or any occasion calling for a note?)
That's a sweet sentiment, but I fear it's going the way of the Rolodex. I'd rather see someone's face, get a hug … even hear their voice across the miles.
('Suspect my mom's up there shaking her head, "Where did I go wrong?")
How are you feeling on this day after Christmas? Tired, let down, still glowing? I have felt all of those at one time or another; and sometimes, all of them at once! Tell us about it.
Tired? Yes …but in a good way. I was so concerned about over-sleeping and not getting the roast on in time, I woke up at 2:57! Ugh.
Let down? Not at all! A little amused; mostly blessed.
Still glowing?
Yes! Here's a quote from one of Sean of the South's books which resonated:
"Most folks are so busy looking for nuclear explosions, they miss out on a good campfire."
(BTW, if you're a fan of his and subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, the download of his short stories is free!)
It is 'tradition' to leave the tree and decorations up until after January 6th, to honor the Epiphany. Will your boxes be packed and put away until next year? Are you, like me, thinking about doing it right now?
I'm good leaving everything 'as is' through Epiphany.
There's little to put away, and I've become accustomed to the warm glow on these long dark nights.
There's little to put away, and I've become accustomed to the warm glow on these long dark nights.
Looking ahead to New Year's Eve, do you have plans?
Unfortunately, no. We'll be good to make it 'til midnight before our eyes slam shut. I still grow a wistful remembering mid-70's dress-up affairs. Each year the individual chapters of Beta Sigma Phi would gather for a formal gala at Abilene's Civic Center.
Have you ever celebrated big in New York's Time Square? Would you even want to be there?
Absolutely not! I hate crowds. The NYPD certainly has more to worry about than a senior citizen experiencing a panic attack.
Tell us something random about your week so far!
Reflecting with a smile....
Christmas Eve morning we took a ride to a nearby hotel/casino to experience their amazing decorations.
Old St. Nick stepped out for a smoke break, so Tom stepped in!
Isn't this a thoughtful amenity at the check-in/out desk?
We're not gamblers, but because we signed up for the Players Club they presented both of us complimentary food vouchers. We each ordered the steak and eggs and were pleasantly surprised when the waiter delivered our plates containing a huge piece of delicious prime rib. (I wanted to lick my plate clean, but thought that might be in bad taste. LOL.)
Candlelight services at our little church was really nice. A young girl sang 'Silent Night' in a shaky, seriously off-key voice … so endearing! I wanted to scoop her up in a big hug - but settled for applauding along with everyone else.
This little light of mine! (*far right, smile*)
Yesterday was the best Christmas I've enjoyed in years and years ... with Troy, Lois and the grands. As usual, my DIL prepared so much delicious food -- including my first taste of real cornbread dressing. (Heck, I may not have been born in the South, but I'm trying my darnedest to catch-up!)
Molly Jane and Annie Kay
I put my cell phone on 'selfie' mode and we were all screaming at it, "Smile!" Cracking up! Poor thing was so confused by the unfamiliar voice prompts!
* * *
I hope to be back in a few days to wish y'all a Happy New Year! Meanwhile, please try and stay safe. I've grown accustomed to your smiles!
Hugs,
Myra










Happy Candy Cane Day! Your family picture at Christmas is just wonderful! I also like how Tom stepped in for Santa. So cute! I've had the chance to indulge in casino meals a couple of times over the years, and they do have wonderful food. Nice you live close enough to enjoy them. Like you, Christmas continues here until January 6th. I plan to enjoy all the trimmings to the fullest. I've seen a few reviews of 2018 on the news and blog posts already. Before we know it 2019 will be here.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Pam! I so appreciate your gentle encouragement.
DeleteWhat a wonderful 'memory' of THIS Christmas. Love the 'family picture. Yes we have a couple candy canes around. I am OK with them, but mainly because they were my dad's favorite. There were years in his family of 13 that candy sticks were what they received at Christmas. That was in the 1910-20 era.
ReplyDeleteGlad Santa took a smoke break!
When we traveled extensively, (every day or week) Casinos were a treat for RV spots. I put a few quarters in and enjoyed some wonderful food.
Sean does have some of the best philosophy!
Love to you and Sir Tom!
"Sir Tom"? Love it! When we honeymooned aboard a Holland America cruise, the Filipino
Deletestewards would call him that!
Love your pictures. You and your family look so happy. Wishing your a wonderful new year!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Cathy! Yes, ours was a happy day … many years since we've been together on Christmas.
DeleteI really enjoyed your pictures and your thoughts about thank you notes. It's true that a hug and a thank you is probably the best thank you of all. You have a beautiful family and that family portrait looks frameable! I've heard that casinos serve up wonderful food as a temptation to get people in to gamble! Happy New Year! We don't stay up either, but we wake up when the fireworks go off!
ReplyDeleteSanta smokes?????
DeleteLOL! I just made that up about Santa … perchance it was an intestinal affair; all those candy canes?
DeleteROFL at the yelling smile. sometimes I have to yell at mine and people look at me strange when I scream KINCHEE if yelling smile doesn't work. I did the silly pic of bob and I with the wave the hand thing.
ReplyDeletethe only peppermint I like is the soft sticks, the short ones, easy to chew, not hard.
I know you are in the SOUTH because the cat and dog have two names. HE HE HE
I can answer all the new year questions with one answer, I have only seen the new year in awake 3 times in my 74 year life. and I was not happy at those 3. dreading the idiots in our neighborhood who set off fireworks all night on New Years. terrifies the dog. 2 cherrby bombs last night had Big so scared.
I hate that people feel compelled to shoot off fireworks. For a while in Phoenix it became fashionable to shoot guns in the air … until a young girl sleeping in her own bed was shot and killed. Hence, "Shannon's Law" was enacted, but hard to police.
DeleteFirst of all, December 26th is too late for National Candy Cane Day. They should move it back a week.
ReplyDeleteI'm admittedly a candy cane addict. I stocked up on them this year....and when they're gone I'll be going through withdrawal.
I always feel WONDERFUL the day after Christmas. Finally, the whole damn thing is over!
(is that a resounding "humbug"??)
Thank you notes are a wonderful gesture, but they're passe.
Christmas decorations should definitely be left up until New Years Day (at least) - but not until Easter...
I've never spent New Year's Eve at Times Square. My parents did several times (before I was born) and my Mom hated it. She said you just stand there freezing with a bunch of drunks.
I think they ban alcohol there now.
I have no big plans for New Year's Eve this time around, but - like you - I have extremely fond memories of past NY celebrations.
I love your "selfie" family photo.
OK, blog friends. Let's all gather our uneaten candy canes and send to Jon! When I visited NYC in '99 'Mr. Wrong' was showing me around. Coming out of the subway he asked, "Do you recognize this?". Of course, I was clueless. When told I was standing and staring where the ball drops, it was a "how disappointing!" moment. Such a small area; dirty, too.
DeleteHappy Day after Christmas, Myra! Loved the Christmas photos, and glad to know you were surrounded by family and lots of good food. That pic of the dog and cat, by the way, is precious!
ReplyDeleteAnd no, we never stay up for New Year's - just another day!
Blessings!
Thank you so much! Just another day, yes. Every day is a gift!
DeleteHappy Boxing Day as we call it here in the UK - the day after Christmas.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos of you and the family.
May God bless you all now and always.
Thank you so much, Victor. Your friendship is a gift, indeed.
DeleteMerry (day after) Christmas! Your family pic is terrific. It looks like you were all having a terrific time.
ReplyDeleteNope, I've never been a fan of candy canes, but I AM now now a fan of "Sean of the South.' (Thank you!)
Something random about my week? I survived baking cookies with four of out grandchildren. It was a bit chaotic at times, but it was a lot of fun.
We'll be seeing the new year in with friends. If past years are any indication, we'll be so busy playing games and laughing, we won't even notice the changing of the calendar...
Happy New Year to you and your family, Myra. May the new year be filled with lots of pleasant surprises.
Aw, baking with grands sounds like a Hallmark moment … only better. (Can you tell, I've never had that pleasure.) Playing cards and laughing. Now I'm humming, "Here's to good friends, tonight is kinda special...."
DeleteLooks like y'all had a wonderful Christmas! Thanks for giving us a peek at your day.
ReplyDeleteI KNOW my mom is shaking her head and wondering where I went wrong with my kids. She gets soooo upset that they never send thank you notes or even pick up the phone to call and say thanks. I don't know either, because I sure didn't raise them that way.
Unfortunately, I know better and have just succumbed to trends. I don't make resolutions, but this would be a sweet custom to resurrect.
DeleteNope, no Time Square for me either! Enjoyed the family photo!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mary!
DeleteOh Myra, what a wonderful time you had with your amazing family!! Sean of the South is amazing. Upbeat and always right on track. Thanks for joining the Medley today and sharing your thoughts on the questions asked! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThank YOU, Terri! I always look forward to reading your questions first thing each Tuesday morning. Like you said about Sean, I love your upbeat posts!
DeleteThat is a great picture of you all, Myra! I know you must have enjoyed your day with your family! Worth everything with the move, I am sure! Haven't made it to midnight in years for New Year's and probably won't this year either, LOL. My niece who got married in September (and whose mom said that she would be getting thank you notes in the mail on Thanksgiving break from school, she's a teacher) still hasn't sent a thank you note (she did thank us in person) nor cash the check we gave as a gift. I remember my mom years ago being livid because my brother and his new bride took months to do their thanks for their gifts. A lot of times I just want some acknowledgement that the gift arrived in case I had sent it through the mail or had it delivered directly from a company.
ReplyDeletebetty
Aren't (bank) checks invalid after a certain about of time? Perhaps it was misplaced, and they're embarrassed to say anything? Happy New Year!
Deletehappy candy cane day. the family picture is awesome.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteLove your Christmas picture! I'm packing up my decorations, wrapping paper and unused cards on January 1. I'm turning over a new leaf of organization for 2019. :) This year is different and I can't procrastinate. I'm having my hip replaced on January 7 and to have things tidy for the physical therapist, visiting nurse and friends who will be in and out in the weeks following.
ReplyDeleteOh Carol! Please keep us apprised of your upcoming surgery and aftercare. You and your surgeon are in my prayers.
Delete