What do you say … let's play the Wednesday Medley!
As ever, thank you to our lovely hostess, Terri, for compiling this week's questions!
* * *
On November 28, 1995 President Bill Clinton ended the 55 MPH speed limit that began in 1974 as an energy-savings measure during the Mid East oil embargo. If you are old enough to remember this, did it make you happy? Do you have a heavy foot when driving or does 55 MPH sound good to you?
Ha! Even when I had my 'Vette I behaved like a 'little old lady'; I'm no fan of unnecessary speed. Still, 55 seems a bit absurd. I'm good with 65-70.
You are home alone on a rainy/snowy Sunday afternoon. What Christmas movie will you watch?
What do you recommend? Except for "Amahl and the Night Visitors" (when I was a small child) I don't recall ever having watched a Christmas-themed movie.
(Please, no sophomoric slapstick!)
What is something you have tried that you will never try again?
So many things come to mind!
I'll go with knitting. At least a dozen times my mother tried to teach me - but her being right-handed and me a 'leftie', it always ended badly. We'd just change the subject and go pour ourselves an adult beverage!
Today is National French Toast day! Will you have some? Do you like French Toast?
No, but I'm loving IHOP's Grinch-inspired breakfast menu!
I think they've even added a cheesecake-stuffed French Toast!
I think they've even added a cheesecake-stuffed French Toast!
The Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center will be lighted today, as will the one at the White House in Washington, D.C. To you have your tree up, and is it lighted? Have you ever been to New York City or Washington, D.C. to see the trees lit up during the holidays?
Coming soon to my next post (I hope!).
I used to fantasize about travelling to NYC during the holidays and go ice skating at Rockefeller Center under that iconic tree. 'So disappointed when I saw the ice rink is, in fact, much (much)smaller than it appears on television. (This was in September, but still …)
Tell us something random about this new week of yours.
I adore fog!
I am SO LOVING this week's weather, y'all! The last few mornings the temps have dipped below freezing. Sure, and it's supposed to begin warming … but for me and the dogs? Right now, Heaven = vegging under a heavy throw with my tablet and ritualistic first-mug-of-the-season (of) Café Vienna.
Tom's new oven (oops!) stove is supposed to be delivered today, and I'm over here like …
The salesman wasn't quite sure what to make of me. Ha!
Finally! O thought this was kind of neat.
Normally, I favor dark roast coffee, straight up black. But every now and then I'll linger at the dairy case -- like little kids do at a candy counter.
Doesn't this sound like a great alternative to costlier creamers?
Have fun, y'all … it's not just for kids anymore!
Hugs … stay safe!
Myra






I drive the posted speed limit, but not if it is over 70. always have. did not know Clinton changed it but do believe our roads were much safer when it wass 55 because the speeders drove 70, now it is 70 and they do 80.. I don't like interstate driving and try not to get on them. a new oven? just and oven? not one in a stove? i am with you on that one.. when i was 42 i rode on the back of a Harley across the sunshine skyway. never again. i like cook not cold. today we are COLD at 46 brrrrr but i do like that as long as the sun comes out.
ReplyDeleteTHANKS for catching the 'oven' mistake, my friend! (Senior moment - lol!) I've never been on a motorcycle in my life … call me a big chicken.
DeleteOh yes, I do remember the speed limit change. Here trucks had to remain in the slower lane, and I was usually right there with them. Today I'll go 65 but not mush higher. I am having French Toast today and wrote about it in my post for today. and to answer one of your questions, my all time favorite Christmas carol is Silent Night. I'm going to keep an eye out for the tree lighting ceremony. I've got my little decorate table top tree set out and will light it too. I do love an occasional flavored coffee. Most of the time I drink mine black too, but have some Pumpkin Spice leftover from Thanksgiving. Glad you are liking the cooler weather there. It is wonderful to cozy up with a hot cup of good coffee.
ReplyDeleteGood morning! Thanks for sharing your morning with me. Sometimes this big old world doesn't seem terribly big after all!
DeleteThat Grinch inspired menu is awesome! I am definitely planning to get there soon for that!
ReplyDeleteIsn't that a great marketing ploy? I used to put green food coloring in my milk for St. Patrick's Day (my birthday).
DeleteLove the creamer recipe!! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThanks … you, too! Sometimes I just use vanilla extract and hubby's Half & Half.
DeleteLove it. I splurge with Cappuccino at truck stops when we are 'On-the Road', other than that I love black coffee. I would not know good coffee from bad (according to Sherry) Sailors just drink it to sty awake on mid-watch. haha
ReplyDeleteYOu were fortunate to travel as a youngster and see so many 'distant' places.
We did see DC lite up for a few Christmases.
I must say I like yours and Sandra's comments. I bet the ride on a Harley over the Skyway was kinda 'scary'. Bikes do strange things over expansion joints.
As ALWAYS, enjoy the insight into your and Tom's lives. Oven or stove!
Love from over here
Sherry & jack
Thank you, Jack! I never considered the Skyway's expansion joints. I recall travelling (in a car) on the old span during a thunderstorm and vowed 'never again.' Ha!
DeleteIt's cold here, too, Mevely, and I'd enjoy it a lot more if our furnace hadn't died yesterday. Yikes! Thank goodness for the gas log fireplace and some space heaters. Good news is that the new furnace is being installed as I write. Thank you, Lord!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Oh my goodness … what rotten timing! How fortunate, yours was a relatively fast fix!
DeleteMaybe I'll mix up that creamer when my cream loving kids are here at Christmas...
ReplyDeleteThanks for passing that along. I'm more of a Christmas music person over Christmas movies. So...is Tom the cook at your house?
My link for the Medley: https://happywonderer.com/2018/11/28/wednesday-medley-3/
Yes, as a matter of fact! He does 90% of the cooking and BBQ. Come to think of it, I prefer listening to the music and weaving memories in my mind's eye.
DeleteI just started driving in 1974. I remember thinking back then 55 was fast! Now 80 sometimes seems slow. Brrr with your weather and I'm complaining here because its going to be a high in the 60s starting after tomorrow. Enjoy Tom's new creations on his new stove! Not putting up a tree this year, glad not to :)
ReplyDeletebetty
This is the first year we're doing a tree since Caraleigh passed. We always called it "Cara's tree" so sad memories -- I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Y'all can always visit others' trees free-for-nothing!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I have a lead foot, but when on an interstate that is not extremely busy, I do drive about 2 miles over the speed limit.
ReplyDeleteTotally understandable, Cathy!
DeleteYou've never seen a Christmas movie? How can that be? I guess my first recommendation would be It's a Wonderful Life, although there are so many warm and happy Christmas movies. I watch them over and over each year. A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott.
ReplyDeleteSomeone actually gave me 'Wonderful Life" a couple of years ago. There's really no excuse, is there?
DeleteLet's start backwards (which is perfectly normal for me):
ReplyDeleteI've always hated those crappy coffee creamers. The homemade one with condensed milk etc. is FAR better.
That cat on your "absolutely thrilled" photo is how I look every day.
I love cafe Vienna...and I really love French toast (the kind I make at home)
WHAT?? YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A CHRISTMAS MOVIE????
What are you - a Muslim????
There must be at least ten million Xmas movies in existence. How could you possibly avoid them???
I've been to New York during the holiday season and it was annoyingly romantic.
As for speed limits - I think 55 mph is too darn fast.
Am I getting old, or what?
BTW -
DeleteI always use evaporated milk in my tea or coffee. I love it.
LOL! No, just a recovering Lutheran. I'd still love to visit NYC at Christmas, if only to indulge in a carriage ride through Central Park.
DeleteThat coffee cream looks interesting. What's the trade name? I'll look out for it over here.
ReplyDeleteThe weather over here is still not too cold. We've had a bit of mist - no fog yet.
Our speed limits are normally 30mph in town, 20mph near schools, 60mph on main out of town roads, 70mph on highways/motorways, 40mph near roadworks, 50mph when the signs say so, confused mph when there are no signs and you have to decide whether you are on an out of town road, a double carriage way, or a highway. 0mph when I leave the car in the garage instead. I have even seen 18mph in Bournemouth, (South England).
God bless.
The condensed milk (base)? I'd go with either Borden Eagle or Nestle Carnation. Your speed limits sound very similar to ours.
DeleteOh my goodness, your grumpy cat picture makes me laugh! Loved your answers! Enjoy the rest of the week.
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Isn't Grumpy Cat a stitch? Have a great day!
DeleteHmmmm... homemade coffee creamer!! I like that idea! Thanks for joining in today, Myra!! I enjoyed your answers and hope you make it to NYC to see the tree!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Terri! We were just satisfied to watch it (Rockefeller) on TV last night …. best seats in the house!
DeleteI don't remember anything after "cheesecake stuffed" French toast. Oh my.
ReplyDeleteI know, right? Double stuffing, please!
DeleteThose are some fun questions and answers. I run in the opposite direction when I see coffee creamers with all those chemicals in them so the substitute sounds much more healthy.
ReplyDeleteOof - I am hating the cold. I live in Florida but it's been rather frigid here. Like, 30s. Supposed to warm up a little then dip back down though.
ReplyDeleteI knew you were a southerner by the "y'all"! Isn't that the best word EVER? :D
ReplyDeleteIt is a little disappointing to see Rockefeller in real life. Still thrilling, though!
I'm with Jon on this one... how could you NOT have watched any Christmas movies??? Not even "Holiday Inn"? That's the movie that introduced "White Christmas," so yeah, it's an old movie, but it's still terrific. And there are so many good ones!
ReplyDeleteI don't drive with a heavy foot, but my hubby does, which brings me to the one thing I'll not do again. get on the back of his Harley. Going down the interstate on the back of a bike at nearly 100 MPH was NOT my idea of fun.
By the way, I made that pumpkin cheesecake yesterday. As soon as we cut into it, I'll send you the recipe... if it's good. HA!
Have a super weekend.