Wednesday, November 7, 2018

What, what, WHAT a Medley!





Well, hello again!

'Not sure, but I suspect there's a cat of there who's got my tongue.  Sure, there's plenty going on in Coosada.  But when I go to share, the little voice in my head says, "No-one's going to be interested in that."   Does anyone else experience times like this?   

….. All the more reason I'm thankful to Terri for her weekly prompts!   Come on along, let's play!


What is your claim to fame?


Does being in the right place at the right time count?   I'm nothing special, but have been fortunate (via my job) to visit some who are/were.    This was back when cell phones weren't a thing, so I've only a few fuzzy images:  (l-r) Frank Gifford, Alex Trebek, John Forsythe, Greg Morris.

  
Then, one evening at a charity golf event my former hubby and I were witness to a funny-looking little man (I'd never heard of) debuting his new song.  Right there in front of our table, Lee Greenwood sang 'God Bless the U.S.A.'
(My girlfriend and I were more interested in ogling Farrah Fawcett who was sitting with her father only a few tables away!)  



What is something you like to do the old-fashioned way?

Drive. I always prefer taking back roads to interstates.  (Who needs all that anger?)   Plus, being a control freak, I'm loathe to use the cruise control feature.



What did you think you would grow out of -- but haven't?



Unfortunately, I'm still too concerned what others think.


  
What is the dumbest thing you've done that actually turned out pretty well?

Back in the mid-70's I mistakenly returned a client's bank statements to the wrong person and was (deservedly) fired.   A friend knew someone who was looking to hire a secretary and encouraged me to apply.   I didn't get the job, but wound up marrying him!



If you had to change your name, what would you change it to?

Let's go with Mevely!  When I started blogging I didn't want anyone at my workplace knowing ….. so I made up a combo of mine and my mother's names: Myra Evelyn.  (She was Evelyn Myra.)




What's something random you can tell us about this week?

Son and DIL invited us down to their place Saturday to watch football.   Times like this I still pinch myself, having the opportunity to 'hang out' with my favorite humans!  


We invited them to our home for Thanksgiving, but now I'm wondering if it won't be too stressful for my DIL.  Turns out, she's committed to cooking another meal after they get home.  All sorts of convoluted, yes.  Now I'm thinking we should reschedule, but don't want to hurt DH's feelings.  Sigh.


On the other hand!  
This sign at our favorite pizza shop made me smile.  Don't you love the name?





Have a super Wednesday … stay safe!

Hugs,
Myra





28 comments:

  1. Mevely ... yes, it suits you.

    It's good to be with family; especially when it is raining, and wet, and grey as it is today over here.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears we're enjoying(?) similar weather patterns. But given the approaching holidays, I choose to embrace the chill.

      Delete
  2. my first ever sigthing of a flushroom. love it. I wondered where the Mevely came from, now I know.. once again about half your answers are also mine.
    I have never gotten over caring what others think..
    I despise interstates and try NEVER to drive on them.
    Bob uses the cruise IN TOWN. but I don't ride with him driving so doesn't bother me. if we are together this control freak in driving. I don't like cruise unless it is 300 miles of flat road.
    I have only seen two celebritys in my life, a concert with Glen Campbell 50 years ago and Lee Greenwood at a free concert in downtown Savannah, just stood on the front lines did not meet him.
    on the subject of us not want to hear about that? well I want to hear any and all and everything. that is how I post. I just spew out what happens daily, it is MY blog..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if that cruise control isn't a 'thing' with menfolk these days? Tom does the same thing! I don't get it ...

      Delete
  3. I always love reading your posts! You matter to me ! How great you are near family. I know that I'm thankful that at least a couple of my children live close by. I love back roads too, there is always so much more to see. It would be a dilemma with Thanksgiving, but for her to go home and fix another dinner wouldn't make it very enjoyable at all. Hope it all works out and you enjoy a happy Thanksgiving !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying that, Pam! I'm going to try and post more often. Like a radio … if someone doesn't like it, they're free to change the channel!

      Delete
  4. So cool that yo have met so many famous people! That is awesome! I love your answer about the back roads and I soo agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I was so star-struck as a kid. Then later, they'd just show up! (… at the television station where I worked.)

      Delete
  5. It's fortunate that you have photos with the famous people you've met. I'm impressed. When I lived in Hollywood I never took any pics of the celebrities I met. But, of course, that was long before cell phones and digital cameras.

    I definitely prefer back roads to the interstate - - but now that I live in a rural area I even dislike back roads.

    Your probably the only person I know who applied for a job and got a marriage license instead. Neat story!

    I always wondered about the origin of Mevely. Thanks for telling us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always mistakenly write "your" instead of "you're". It's an affliction that I've had for the past forty years.
      ....well, maybe thirty years...

      Delete
    2. It's a wonder I've these pictures. Were it not for someone having a camera at work. Even that charity dinner, I don't recall anyone being gauche enough to whip out a camera. I'm sure you can relate!

      Delete
  6. That is cute with the Flushrooms. Of course it took me a minute to realize what Flushrooms were for (I was thinking topping on a pizza?) I'd say either move up the Thanksgiving dinner with family or move it back a few days. More days to celebrate and less stress!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly more appropriate than a "restroom", wouldn't you agree? Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  7. Hello Mevely :),
    I enjoyed your answers. It is fun to spend leisurely time with the ones we love. I'm with you on your answer to number 3. Country roads are so much more relaxing then the interstates for sure! Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to stay off the interstates too, the speed limits are so high and I like to take it easy most of the time.
    Holidays are so hard. You guys will get it all figured out. Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Like blog friend "Ma" says, life is sweeter in the slow lane!

      Delete
  9. I have wondered where Mevely came from!! Thanks so much for joining in today, Myra. All those celebs! Wow!! We need to talk! I want to hear about how all of that transpired! Nothing is too dull to blog about when folks care about you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I met most of these folks while I worked at WTSP (Channel 10). They'd usually host a meet-and-greet for the 'big' advertisers where we were all expected to work the room. Biggest surprise? Phyllis Diller - gracious and oh, SO nice. In all those years, I only met one 'not-so-nice' individual.

      Delete
  10. I'm with Jon on the name. Thanks. Neat you met those folks. Nice to be at the right place. I'm reminded of my talk with Jerome, about success. He said, 'I knew a famous guy, it is who you know or being in the right place at the right time..' So I have met Jerome who played sax backing up folk like Marvin GAy. I also met Roy Rogers once when I was 7!
    I always love your answers. Yeah I know I always say that! (I am OLD, I can repeat myownself!)
    SMILE BIG
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jack! I confess to being a wee-bit envious that you met Roy!

      Delete
  11. how cool all your brushes with fame are. perhaps changing the day you celebrate thanksgiving will take the edge off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea about changing the day! I hate for anyone to feel obligated.

      Delete
  12. Goodness, Myra, you have rubbed elbows with some famous folks! And I'm glad you've explained why you go by Mevely here at your blog. Pretty ingenious, I think. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you so much Martha. I never considered folks might be scratching their heads over 'Mevely.'

      Delete
  13. You've met some very cool celebrities. The only ones I can think of off-hand are Condaleeza Rice and Pres. George Bush the Younger. She is an absolute doll. He shook my hand and said, "Thank you." Oh yeah! I met Barney, too! (Bush's dog.)

    I still do a LOT of things the "old-fashioned" way, but I don't think of avoiding interstates and busy Atlanta highways as being old-fashioned. I think that's downright smart. Our traffic terrifies me.

    Your DIL could do what I did years ago when we were invited to someone else's home for T'giving dinner. I used the timer feature on our oven, and cooked a turkey at home while we were away. When we got home, it was ready to come out, and my hubby was happy, because he still had his precious left-overs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Condaleeza Rice! Good grief, just the mention of Atlanta traffic gives me the vapors. Y'all are made of stronger stuff!

      Yes, my hubby would be crushed if he couldn't enjoy left-overs.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!