Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Water Cooler Wednesday: White Elephants




Happy Secretary's Day to you, too!



I remember 50's and 60's sitcom episodes devoted to 'bad' gifts, don't you?  What to do about the White Elephant?

Oh, I'm not talking about macaroni necklaces or lumpy ceramic ashtrays -- which still occupy a special place in our hearts and our hope chests.

No.  I'm remembering those occasions you're left scratching your head: "What were they thinking?"

... or even the dreaded obligatory gift.
Don't we all have a little Sincerity Meter in our heads?  (Rather, an Insincerity Meter?)

This morning I'm thinking of a parting gift from my GM and AGM ... a crystal-embedded pen, so bling-y (i.e., ugly) it defies description.

Sorely tempted to leave it behind, Tom supposed they'd think I simply forgot it and mail it.   Thankfully, Grand #1 was pleased to have it!

So, today's poser ... I'd love to hear! 

What's the worst gift you've ever received?
What did you do with it? 




Have a happy Wednesday ... and be safe!

Hugs from Coosada,
Myra

  


19 comments:

  1. Wow, is it Secretary's Day? I remember when I was a secretary getting flowers on the day or being taken up to eat by the boss.

    That is a funny "parting" gift you got. Like you are going to need a pen like that in your next season? Something more practical would have sufficed, I think. Hubby got a silver tray from one place he left. What were they thinking?

    Hubby gave me an ironing board for our first Valentine's Day as a married couple. I kind of questioned it, but his intent was very sweet. I ironed my clothes back then and we didn't have an ironing board. I would just iron them on a towel I spread on the floor. He thought an ironing board would help (and it did, but I was thinking something more romantic, LOL)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me snort out-loud, Betty! But knowing your DH, I've little doubt his intentions were sincere. How many Valentine's Days has it been now ... y'all are the Real Thing!

      Delete
  2. i wish there was a photo, could grand 1 take one, i have never seen anything like that.. now my curiosty is killing me... i do not like gifts of any kind because i am picky and hard to buy for... that said, my mother loved all gifts and loved to spend 10 dollars on gifts for my birthday AFTER I was married with kids. she would carefuly shop for TEN gifts for that ten dollars. one year one of the gifts was a tiny about 6 inches long, wind chime made of shells.. she loved it and wanted it. she thought i would.. i like cash or a visa gift card as good as cash. if anyone reading this is listening to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I'm imagining the effort to find 10 little gifts for $10! Sweet! Then again, my own mom never understood when I didn't share her enthusiasm for those things she thought were wonderful.

      Here's a link to that pen. I just really dislike anything shiny and bling-y. https://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/5354896/product/Crystalline_Ballpoint_Pen,_Vintage_Rose.html

      Delete
  3. A crystal-embedded pen?? They can put it where the sun don't shine.

    .....but, just suppose that it wasn't crystal - it was priceless gems which you didn't recognize. You'd have to steal it back from Grand#1....

    The worst gifts I can remember always came from my well-intentioned grandmothers. I remember a HIDEOUS red and navy blue sweater that I got when I was seven - - and my parents forced me to wear it when we went to Disneyland. I still get the chills looking at the photos.....

    I also remember a light-green corduroy-type jacket that I was forced to wear to school. Boys didn't wear light green corduroy jackets back then.

    Ah, the memories.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out the pen link that you provided in the above reply to Sandra.
      Hmmmmm - that pen doesn't turn me on. I can understand why you weren't enthused.

      Delete
    2. LOL on the sweater and corduroy jacket ... other kids can be so cruel! I recall when I was 7 y/o and my parents took me to Europe: one afternoon a group of children began pointing at me and taunting, "Boy!" (At that time little girls did not wear trousers.)

      I suppose that pen's fine if you're say, a Sandra Dee. Tho' not in looks, I'm more like Bacall.

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy the visit, and Imma thinking...thinking....thinking. Probably too old to remember the weird gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too old, m'friend! (Methinks your word, 'weird' sounds lots nicer than my 'worst'!)

      Delete
  5. Gosh, I've gotten a few strange gifts but nothing really comes to mind right now. Glad your grand liked the pen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky duck! :) Thank you for stopping by, Terri!

      Delete
  6. What to do about the White Elephant?

    Put him in the room for all to see and not talk about.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've received some ugly gifts. But I forgot our anniversary once and I bought my wife an umbrella. That was unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly I don't remember any bad gifts ever, but do remember a lot of good ones. When I retired my bosses gave me money, and I promptly spent it buying a new computer, which I still have. At 8 years old now it's a relic, but still working thanks to a couple of my sons who generously gave it a new hard drive about 2 years ago. Hopefully it will keep working for a long while yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great gift ... what thoughtful bosses! (As well as thoughtful sons!)

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure I remember one. Oh wait, Mark bought me the ugliest S & P shakers I've every seen. I'll have to email you a picture if I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Richard once (early in our relationship) bought me a white blouse with puffy sleeves. Think of the pirate shirt on Seinfeld. Did you see that episode. It was hideous and I never wore it. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I didn't tell him I hated it. He figured it out on his own. After a couple of more screw up he quit buying me clothes. Ha! His style and mine were just not the same. I'm not a girly girl when it comes to dressing. I followed the link and rather liked the pen. But then I'm all about Bullet Journals now days and I was thinking how pretty it would be with my journal. I'm glad you found someone to appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!