Monday, April 30, 2018

Just Stuff


G'afternoon friends,
... Thanks for dropping by!


I'm seriously stunned how quickly the calendar's spinning.  And yet, I'm still feeling a bit rudderless.   Maybe this is normal?  I don't know.  'Must keep reminding myself how often I used to dream of these days.

I think y'all have heard me rave about my DIL's eclectic décor ... much of which was discovered at estate sales.  So, per Lois' recommendation I signed up to receive e-mail notifications.  Sure enough, early Friday morning we happened onto I-65 south.

Having made more trips to Goodwill than we care to admit, I had to shake my head at the irony.   What's that saying about one man's trash is another's treasure?   What the hey, it's an adventure!

No fan of big cities, I wasn't so sure what Google-girl was thinking when she directed us to an exit close to downtown ...  nearby structures reminiscent of a Williams play. 

Then, watching the little blue dot on my phone, I had to smile. Names like Zelda Road, Gatsby Court, Gatsby Lane ... yes, even Fitzgerald.  Belatedly, I remembered a tray Lois treasures that once belonged to the Mrs. herself.   Only skipping distance from I-85, we found ourselves in a lovely cloistered neighborhood.  Shoot, I was guessing even the grass seed was pedigreed. 

While I didn't see any little side tables or an affordable china cabinet, there were many modesty-priced items ..... and a couple of must-have's. 



6 linen napkins and a matching dishtowel for $1!


My favorite $5 find! 
This throw pillow so compliments our 'hand-me-down' (guest) room ... I'll have to show you one of these days!

# # #

Saddened to learn my BF's mother passed away on Friday.  While it wasn't unexpected -- and her mom hadn't been in her right mind for months -- my heart hurts for Deb.

So, somewhere during our 2-hour conversation yesterday -- peppered with giggles nevertheless -- I raised the question of an estate sale.  Neither Debbie or her sister are much interested in the multitude of German steins, period furnishings and other treasures:  "My mother believed some of it was valuable, but I wonder if that wasn't just sentiment talking."  

To be honest - like my son - I find it hard to shake the 'feels' while at an estate sale ... wondering what ordinary objects were loved beyond reason?


I may not love all of my mother's left-behind's, but have begun incorporating some into my everyday  ...



Grandma Hanson's sugar bowl and creamer.

One of several handmade potholders -- turned mug rug ..... as familiar as the nose on my face. 


In the end, it's just stuff. 
(But right now, it makes my heart happy.)

Have a happy sort of day, won't you?  Be safe!



Hugs,
Myra














29 comments:

  1. I've been at estate sales that felt sad. Lots of well loved things that no longer have a place. I'm trying to dispose of things that other people may love. My mother always spoke of giving with warm hands and I'm trying to do as much as I can while I can. Wishes for a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This gave me goosebumps, Carol! My father used to say the same thing (warm hands) and I'd not heard it since. Great advice!

      Delete
  2. Oh My gosh, you are such a swetheart. I love all my things and stuff. IN fact yesterday I was searching for something in our overstuffed shed when I came across my Baby Olive doll. She was named for Marie Osmond's mom and she has 4 outfits, one for each season. SHe is sitting in my hallway with some dolls Rhisanna made for me and only me one of a kind. My kids hate them, I say tough luck! I don';t like how all my folks things were sold off but I was asked and it is a sore spot even today for me. I am happy you are getting into your routine. I don't have any money to speak of but my sanity is worth so much more. I do not miss the workplace filled with gossiping, hateful and rude ninnies. I love blogging if I could get into my old routine. Harrison loves my attention and I love his when he spends Tuesdays and Thursdays with me. This trio of terrozing puppies will soonbe trained and able to request needing to go outside to do their business. But they are sure cute and when they hear a loud noise they run to me. It feels wonderful to be needed! I'm so happy for you and I appreciate your friendship and conversation. I am so sorry for your BFFs loss. No matter what, it is so hard losing a parent. We know this well don't we? I loved Sean's stories of Ellie Mae and now his new love Thelma Lou. Rebekah saw a bloodhound to whiuch my hubby loudly said N O ! My nephew in Kentucky has coon hounds. ONe of his girls won a fancy dog show. But he and Mary live on acreage so that makes a huge difference. I am always and forever grateful for you telling me about Sean. I love reasding his blog every single day. I hope you have the opportunity to meet him and Jamie face to face. I sure love the way you write. Love to you and Tom. Stay happy and enjoy this time in your lives. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're better for me than a multi-vitamin, Anne! Only a week after we moved, I learned Sean would be speaking not 3 miles away ... but the event was sold out. Someday!

      Delete
  3. Aa F minus for my spelling errors. Holy smokes the sun stsrted setting and I could see the words I was typing. Anyway I do apologize but will see you real soon. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Estate sales are lots of fun. I get notices too, but rarely go anymore since we have about as much 'stuff' as we can handle. Your found some great things!! Keep us posted!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Terri. Part of me wants an instant pot, but there's literally NO ROOM! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Well I have never been to an estate sale - I guess I am not living in or near estates - but I do know what you mean. Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think society's taken a bit of liberty with the word, "estate." Goodness, I wouldn't even have the proper attire to attend. :)

      Delete
  6. Florida is the Mecca of Estate sales. We bought our last dining room set at an estate sale a few weeks ago. As Carol Z said in the first comment, there are sad moments to me as I see things a man treasured, as I do my tools etc.. He would never have sold that saw for $5.
    It was a slow time and I spoke to the guy in charge of the sale. In the conversation I told him my feelings, 'maybe some day someone will get a bargain at my house, I hope they enjoy the STUFF as much as I have.'

    AS always a sweet entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your dining room set, and those rolling chairs ... nice! Agreed, all we can hope for is folks to ENJOY our/their stuff.

      Delete
  7. I like that pillow for your guest room and the dishtowel & place mats are cute too. Last fall I purchased a plain white china set just to have a set that matched for everyday use. Got them at a very well stocked and clean thrift store in town run by a Catholic church. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I like that you treated yourselves to nice china!

      Delete
  8. I like the pillow and the dish towel and place mats! Great finds you found! I haven't been to an estate sale in a bit, probably still suffering PTSD from disposing of hubby's parents' things. What I have learned is someone does indeed think something can be valuable, but it is only valuable if someone is willing to pay the price and oftentimes these days with some items, no one is willing to do so.

    So sorry about your BF's mom's passing.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggling at first at 'PTSD' ... but that had to be an enormous undertaking. So glad those trying times are behind y'all.

      Delete
  9. "Structures reminiscent of a Williams play"....and "even the grass seed was pedigreed"....

    I always notice those descriptions that make your writing so delightful.

    I like estate sales, antique shops, thrift stores, and - yes - even Goodwill. Wonderful items can be found in the realms of frugality. Those lovely linen napkins and the throw pillow are good examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jon! Sometimes I feel a little sad for folks who wouldn't be caught dead in a Goodwill or a thrift store. (Then again, I think I left them behind in Arizona.)

      Delete
  10. i love the sugar creamer, something i would use also...as for the spinning calendar, for some reason, after retirement time speeds up and each year goes faster and faster. bob and i often discuss the fact that we go from Saturday to Saturday in 3 days not 7...retirement speeds it up and age makes it even faster. bob just retired, or so it seems, and this year is 20 years. from 62 to 82 in a blink... hang on... but we LOVE it and would do it again if we could

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 years? Wow! What you said just underscores how necessary (it is) that I learn to live in the moment!

      Delete
  11. Yes ! I do agree One Mans Trash is Another's Treasure. I love to shop Goodwill stores and go to estate sales. I used to live in a neighborhood of old houses and there were a lot of sales going on as the older generation passed on. I am the proud owner of many a man's trash. I also us old pot holders for mug rugs. There are so many cute ones! Good for you being able to navigate around and get out to venture in to the unknown. At this rate you'll be right at home no matter where you go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... but would you believe, I've not driven in over a month? If it weren't for Tom and my phone's GPS, I'd be in a pickle for sure!

      Delete
  12. I can't believe how fast this year is going by! Sounds like a fun adventure. I like how you have incorporated your mother's things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you used the sugar and creamer. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Over here we have plenty of charity shops filled with things people have donated, (books, ornaments, clothes, trinkets etc) One often finds some good things there; like antiques which have been under-valued.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victor! It's neat how 'stuff' is afforded a second look.

      Delete
  15. Bargains are to be had out there for sure. Love the napkins and pillow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!