Dear April at CxxxE Bank,
I'm terribly delinquent in writing to you ... what's it been, 3 months? Still, if anyone's blood pressure benefits from my experience, it will have been worth recapping.
You know, I'm a bit OCD checking my bank account every day ... sometimes twice. So when I discovered 4 random charges to Uber, my pulse quickened. I reached out.
"My PIN? My password?" Um, that was 15 years ago; "No, I'm sorry; I don't recall."
I sensed your eye roll, but appreciated your reassuring tone.
Plan B? OK. Dutifully, I answered your security questions; I was in good hands. Then you asked: "Can you confirm the name of the passenger for whom you purchased a one-way ticket to Costa Rica this morning?"
Gasp. Sputter. Shriek. "April, that wasn't me! You've got to cancel that! You must stop this! Now!" Close to hyperventilating, I heard you say, "Oh, don't worry, that was just a test."
Sorry, April. I don't like your tests, and I don't much like you right now.
# # #
Dear Tom,
You know how I feel about the overgrowth and vacant multi-acre parcel that borders our parking pad.
So, when our security light inexplicably died you wasted no time getting a new bulb.
Unfortunately, the sun set and rose again with no illumination. Another trip, to procure a timing cap. Nada.
A trip to the attic to check the wiring. Zilch.
"Sure is dark out there."
Fortunately, you took the new bulb back to the store to be tested. Turns out, they sold you the wrong (non-vapor) bulb.
Do you know how much $$$ you saved us, stopping me from calling an electrician?
# # #
Dear Coosada Policeman,
Does it grow boring, travelling the same circuit day after day, after day?
Because we retirees have nothing better to do (lol), Tom's been observing your pass-by each morning about 9 ... your dutifully making a right turn into the adjoining subdivision ... and out again a few minutes later ... then west onto Airport Boulevard.
Granted. I've probably watched too much television, but seems your predictability could make a home invasion look easy-peasy.
# # #
Dear Kelli,
Like it was yesterday, I remember the day you began cutting my hair -- then announced plans to move to Dallas. Would I like to have your bedspread and pillows ... free-for-nothing?
Never mind that our old mattress is desperately uncomfortable ..... for the first time in my life I've become a real Nerd about the appearance of our bedroom.
I relocated a complimentary print that used to hang above the couch, but two windows remained bare. (Imagine undressing in the bathroom, then slithering to bed like a cat burglar!)
We'd about decided to purchase some burgundy (75% off!) drapes at Target, but hated the idea of having to shorten them. A little while later - while waiting in the Lowe's parking lot - my cell rang. Tom: "You'd better get in here and look at these drapes."
Granted, they're not an exact match, but I'm loving it.
..... and to think it all started with your generosity!
# # #
Dear Troy and Lois,
Do y'all know how great it felt to have you call, asking if y'all couldn't drop by?
... and when you arrived with this canvas of the girls, I felt like it was Christmas and my birthday all over again. (Tom's since hung it above my desk, but I wanted to show my nice friends we discovered grandma's quilt!)
It's beginning to feel a lot like Sweet Home Alabama!
Have a great weekend, all! Be safe!
Hugs,
Myra
Myra






I love your Friday letters that truly do say so much. Very disturbing to find charges on your account that aren't yours. Thankfully the one time I had that happen, they took care of it right away and funds were restored. Your Tom is a great fixer upper. Just climbing that ladder would be a no no for me. I do love your drapes. Looks like you are making that house your home. Lovely picture and and beautiful quilt all included. Down home in Alabama...
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I, too, would be loathe to get on a ladder half that tall ... and thanking my lucky stars we didn't have to pay for an electrician. Yikes!
Deletesweet home Alabama is agreeing with you. I LOVE YOUR LETTERS.. every single one. what super idea and I don't like the gal at the bank either, that is nothing to joke about.
ReplyDeleteyour colors in bedroom and the quilt are my colors of choice, but mine are not pretty like yours. i love the bedrrom and the drapes and the photo of your girls... so glad he could do it without expensive help. I had to stop rolling on the floor laughing and climb back in my chair after the letter to the policeman. ONCE AGAIN you and I are soooo much alike. he should know better, doesn't he watch TV?????
I know, right?! Compared to the metro, there's little crime out here, but that's just the way my old suspicious mind works.
DeleteOh my goodness with the different fraudulent charges on your account! Glad it got sorted out (I'm thinking it did)but what a sense of humor the bank employee had! That is too funny about the policeman and the regular route driven. You are right, if someone is watching, they are knowing when it is the right time to perhaps make a wrong move. However, I see that Tom perhaps is a good neighborhood watchman! Always so good to be close to family; lovely picture of the young ladies in your family!
ReplyDeletebetty
Yes, the bank removed those fraudulent charges ... thank goodness! They were all minor amounts, but I've heard that's how crooks start testing the waters.
DeleteSo the gal was kidding you?
ReplyDeleteLove your letters.
I am glad you wrote - I lost everything awhile back and not able to find anything or anyone and I am slowly building back - and will stay slow. Nice to hear from you! sandie
So GOOD to 'see' you again, Chatty! The bank lady actually said that was one of their test questions; how I hated having to prove I am who I am. That'll teach me never to forget a credit card password!
DeleteNow I'm singing that song!! Awesome progress!
ReplyDelete"Turn it up!" ... yeah!
DeleteYour letters are always priceless, but these were some of the best. It's difficult to choose favorites (the bank? the policeman?)
ReplyDeleteI luv your burgundy bedroom, and grandma's quilt, and the canvas of the girls.
It looks like you're getting the new homestead fixed up quickly.
Thank you, Jon! I don't know about 'quickly', but Tom and I are both a bit impatient. Jus' don't go opening closet doors - ha!
DeleteThe bedroom looks great! Do you know that I had fraud on my Chase card way too many times to count. The last time they replaced it I just stuck it in a drawer and I never use it. Sure they cover everything but it is such a hassle. The last time it happened which was a year ago they were asking me the balance on our mortgage!!! Like that is a security question??
ReplyDeleteWow ... that's just crazy. That (question) almost sounds like a violation of PII. Chase isn't out here in Alabama, so I may be shopping ...
DeleteI like your letters.
ReplyDeleteHere in the UK we are good at writing letters of complaints. It's our way of making sure we are ignored properly.
Most replies we get say: "Sorry you have been inconvenienced by this ..." And that makes us happy that someone has replied; even though they may not have read our complaint or cared about it.
God bless.
Reading all the comments I have to just say AMEN to Jon. I think he said exactly what I was thinking. The visit here is always great. I've been checking, but missed this some how. I always love the letters....
ReplyDeleteLove to you and Tom from Sherry and I!
I love your burgundy bedroom. lucky you Tom could climb that ladder. thank goodness those bad charges were removed from your account.
ReplyDeleteOle Rockefeller isn't going to lose sleep over the rude service you get at his Chase Bank! My friend has banked there for years and she forgot to make a copy of a check, she is an Avon rep, and does a tremendous business! Asked the teller for a copy. The woman was condeending and rude until she opened Cheryl's bank account lol lol lol! Cheryl told her she would take her business elsewhere! Her husband is an electrician and they had a lot of money in that bank. CS stinks at these mega banks! U G H ! Happened to the cheakskate doctor I worked for too. when they looke dat his bank balances, the manager dried when he said goodbye, so long farewell! Hard to lose a guy who brings in about $800,000.00 a year! HaHaHa!
ReplyDeleteYour bedroom is lovely, We just put fresh sheets on our bed, eggplant purple. We have aqua and coral for the Spring and Summer comforter and curtains. But love my purple sheets.
Oh you were blessed with the lighting situation. HGlad it was a simple fix. Like I said, zero CS most places these days.
Those letters make my day. Thank you.
Peace and Love and Hugs
These pups are frying my brain, glad the kids are home to give me a nice break. HaHa Ha! SInce they arrived I can not type, write or spell. Puppy brain! HUGS
ReplyDeleteYikes I would have wanted to do something horrible to April!!!!!
ReplyDelete