Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Prodigal Blogger






What?!? 
You mean you didn't get the many posts I've written ..... in my head?  

Easy to wonder why some people don't put out a "Gone Fishing" sign on their blog... more discouraging to realize I went and  did the same thing.

What an adventure!   Tom and I only had to threaten one another with eviction on two occasions.   I'm not going to bore y'all with all the dirty details ..... but let's jus' say I won't be quashing my own instincts anytime soon.  

M'friends, if ever given a choice, do not opt to travel Interstate 10 (v. I-20).  Ever!   Were it not dark and (me) ready to burst into tears, I'd have shared the roadside sign outside Lake Charles: "Road Construction next 538 miles." 

Call me obsessive/compulsive!  Nor will I fail to make room reservations ahead of time.   Day #2:  Having travelled 557 miles, neither of us counted on Fort Stockton, Texas (aka, middle of nowhere) having no vacancies.


Two circuits 'round the city, we were faced with a) driving another 312 miles to San Antonio, or  b) spending the night in the Wal-Mart parking lot alongside a multitude of RVs. 

Just once more?  Thankfully Tom found a Super 8 with one room available for the modest (not!) price of $230/night.  'Never thought I'd fall victim to price gouging, but sleep deprivation makes folks do stupid things.   I'm not convinced we would've arrived alive, had we tried to make it onto San Antonio. 

On the Bright Side, Macie and Grace travelled beautifully on the little platform Tom built behind our seats.  
Whenever put in the car, Grace has always caterwauled and carried on like she was being skinned alive ... but a little egg and sausage biscuit and her own bed did the trick!     


Just as well Tom wanted to get to son's place in 4 days.   I don't even want to know how many violations the car carrier-guy may have violated!   My Camry wasn't picked up in Phoenix until Wednesday, and it arrived piggy-back at 7am Saturday!   Happy 68th Birthday to me!

From son and family

Day after. 
Why, yes.  Yes, I did!  First donuts I consumed in probably a decade.  Good for the soul!



So! 97 boxes more-or-less unpacked ... never mind Macie's diarrhea ..... we're getting sort of settled.  Tom's most unhappy about the way the movers stuffed boxes, willy-nilly in the store-room.   This weekend he discovered his check-book out there, inside a box of nuts, bolts and random tools; last night he brought me a plastic cereal keeper containing a Walkman and my dad's mustache coffee mug.  I'm praying the quilt my mother made is going to be discovered sometime soon.  It's a process, for sure.    

I've already purchased knee-high rubber boots ... not necessarily  snake-proof, but close enough to settle my nerves when I step out back.   A weather radio's on the short list.   Not sure which -- snakes or tornados -- is more terrifying, but deep down, I'm ridiculously happy to be HERE.

For the first time in 24 years I was able to celebrate Easter with my family!

  DIL Lois, Chloe and Sarah

Blessed, I tell ya!

Someone (aka, cranky-pants) is growing impatient, and here I've gone on too long already.  I promise there won't be any 5-week 'fishing' expeditions from now on!


Hugs from Coosada!
Myra














  

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite the adventurous trip! I'm glad you are safely there and loving it in spite of the bumps (snakes and tornadoes, too) in the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hopefully, we can laugh about the challenges sooner, rather than later.

      Delete
  2. and now the real adventure begins. snakes, tornadoes and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps.) HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to you and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, I have missed it. Great read. I or Sherry, saw on FB that you guys were on the road and ran into NO VACANCIES! I will admit I did smile about the 'not reserving a room'.
    How many times have I told Sherry, "Don't worry, this time of the year finding a place will be no problem." Eating my words is never fun!
    Glad you made it. and YEP 'em movers can sure pack a boxfull!
    Glad you are home and 'them is some beauties' in the shot.
    Of course you are kidding about the birthday. YOu cannot possibly count that high from what I hear from Betty!
    Love to you and Brother Tom ENJOY! Hug Tom and 'em puppies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack and Sherry! Overall, the movers (National Van Lines) did an excellent job. I think the packers just grew weary at the end and became careless. In the end, it's just things ... could always be worse.

      Delete
  5. welcome to Coosoda, just a little over 1200 population. ha ha, i ma a cyber detective and had go google a town with this name... i was relieved to see you are only minutes from the big city... small town living but close to big city is perfect. what an adventure you had, what a super idea for the dog beds, in 1953, we moved from Savannah ga to Pineville KY.... about 12 hour drive then. daddy made a bed for my 4 year old brother and i got the seat... just like you did for your dogs.. price gouging OH MY.. they should be ashamed. i am happy to see you back, i missed you because you are almost always the other ME... happy belated birthday..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I do the same thing and cyber spy. We're actually spitting distance from the larger metropolis, Millbrook ... our driveway is INCHES from the City Limit sign (i.e., less taxes).
      Know what really stung about the Super 8? My (former) company, Wyndham, owns Super 8.

      Delete
  6. Glad you’re back girlfren. There REALLY should be a law that Google Blogger has to post those blogs you write in your head:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't THAT be marvelous? Never say never!

      Delete
  7. You were missed and I'm so glad to see your post today and I'm glad to see your comments too. Sounds like it's been a wild adventure for sure ! And it's not over yet. Tornados and snakes do not sound thrilling at all but at least you do have those boots! Welcome back! You are welcomed with open arms ! (((Hugs ))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you just made my day! In my wildest dreams I never thought I'd voluntarily be living in tornado country, but family trumps all. 'Have to trust in the good Lord and remember, it's been a grand ride!

      Delete
  8. First of all, I like to be bored with "all the dirty details"

    I'm so glad that you made the journey safely - I was admittedly worried. It's too bad you had to take I-10 (especially with road construction), but there aren't many alternatives for the southern route.

    I'm familiar with Ft. Stockton and am surprised that there were no vacancies there. I mean - who the heck ever goes to Ft. Stockton, unless it's absolutely necessary?
    I'm glad your two poochies traveled without difficulty. When I moved from TX to TN my 3 cats slept most of the way.

    The process of moving is one of the most stressful things to endure - and the older I get, the longer it takes to recuperate. I said it 1,000 times before but I'll say it again - the most recent move that I made nearly killed me. I doubt if I'll ever fully recover.

    On the bright side - you got to spend Easter with family...and you have your snake-resistant boots! I only hope you have a tornado shelter (...I'm trying to incorporate humor here...).

    BTW - Happy belated birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to have worried you, Jon! Sure, I could've pecked out a 'Howdy' on my phone each evening, but can't recall ever being so exhausted. Your Paragraph #3 sure hits home. When I foolishly said, "This will be fun!" I was, no doubt, remembering when my little Caraleigh and I relocated from Florida to Arizona -- we traveled at leisure via I-20 and visited friends.

      PS - Ft. Stockton, I know, right? There was some regional convention going on; the innkeeper said he'd never seen anything like it.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad to read your news and catch up!! Have missed you! Welcome to your new home and please know that we have been in our new home for over a year now and I am still finding things....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, that's reassuring. :)
      ... and I sure appreciate your warm wishes, Terri.

      Delete
  10. All's well that ends well, right? Parts of the move sound like a nightmare, but now you can settle down and live the dream. I'm happy for you.

    Oh, yeah! Happy (belated) birthday! I hope you had a good un. (And many mooooore...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I'm not sure I even know what the dream is! Working title: "To Be Determined"!

      Delete
  11. Oh, my! What a transition. I hope it is getting smoother each and every day. I look forward to hearing all about your new town and home. Nice to spend Easter with family; I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary. I feel so blessed to have met y'all before we left Arizona!

      Delete
  12. OMG that's a crime that they would charge that much money for a room at Super 8!! I've heard that about packers doing it all willy nilly. Hope you find the quilt. Get yourself Liquid Fence, comes in a powder form and is safe for pets and children. Do the boarder of your property. We do it every Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Liquid Fence, but you can be sure it's on this weekend's shopping list. Thank you, Debby!

      Delete
  13. Happy belated birthday to you. Just wishing you and Tom a most wonderful life on the other side of the country. Glad to know you are with those near and dear to you. No matter where you live there is always something unlikable. My friend in Idaho talks about the brown recluse spider. Not afraid of regular spiders, I give Daddy Long Leg's a lift outdoors but do not care to live with a spider who can do me bodily harm! Travel adventures are stuff stories are made of! I am glad you two arrived safely to your new destination. Without my daily dose of Sean's blog, I am not sure what I would do. I shared the baseball story of the boy with DS with Janie Fox, who used to blog with her daughter Annie Reid who has two girls with DS. They were so happy I shared him. I think the entire world needs to visit Sean. I am ever grateful to you and tthe fact that you shared him with me. :-) I pray you find your mother's quilt. It is amazing the things movers do. Once one put his foot thru my son-in-law Roger's brand new huge flat screen TV in front of him and said OOOps! Roger's words aren't printable but he did get a new TV from that moving co. My LuLaRoe friend in upstate NY has a new puppy. He traveled from Phoenix to her. Hee hee hee! He wasn't sure about the snow up there but he is learning to love it. She is also going to use Liquid Fence. He's a busy fellow. ANyway I will bedropping a note to you very soon. Hugs to you and may we meet face to face someday soon. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG ... from your lips to God's ears. I'm going to count on 'when' I can hug your neck, not 'if'! Would you believe, the church we visited yesterday is hosting Sean on Thursday night. I was SO bummed to learn all 150 tickets are spoken for. :((((

      Delete
  14. Oh my what an adventure. Maybe I will be quite the lucky lady not to have to share my next move with a husband!! LOL! Or dogs. Unless I break down and get one between now and then. I'm glad you are happy. I've lived in Kansas (Tornado Alley) all my life and I have never even seen a tornado until last year. And it didn't touch down. Be brave!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can email me at marainey01 at yahoo dot come

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!