G'morning from (just inside) Coosada, Alabama!
![]() |
| (Click to enlarge) |
..... but there's so much remaining I'm struggling not to feel overwhelmed. Well, that and I'm still trying to grasp the fact we're under no deadline.
Tom's been a huge help, replacing everything from the lock sets ... to toilet seats ... to reinstalling the dishwasher. The first time I went to load, it tipped forward and I feared the whole thing would topple onto the floor!
We've few pictures hung. Tom accuses me of having wonky equilibrium. In turn, I strongly suggested his level is defective.
ANYway! Because my bathroom scale died along the way, I declared Month #1 a food holiday.
So far, I've probably consumed my body weight in Conecuh sausage, DIL's green-bean casserole and deep-fried onion rings!
And grits! Any other fans in Blogville?
Because we like to patronize small, mom-and-pop establishments, it was unusual that our first choice to breakfast 'out' was a New York-style deli. When my omelet arrived, it was accompanied by a generous serving of grits -- a pleasant but otherwise ordinary side. Wouldn't you agree? Sort of like Susan Boyle, prior to her having been discovered. Well, one bite and the Hallelujah Chorus began playing in my head. Verily!
What's so cute is watching Tom absorb the genuine friendliness we've encountered. When our server (above) thanked us for coming in and said, "Y'all have a blessed day!" we were so touched! Likewise, the cart caddy at Publix; or the fellow customer at Elmore County's Courthouse. Folks who've no reason to speak to a stranger but do so anyway ..... those whose eyes echo their smiles.
Unfortunately, it's not been all been rosy.
A few years ago Tom applied for health benefits through the V.A. We were denied for having made too much money (huh!?!) ... but invited to reapply, should our circumstances change. Well, ya!
Fast forward, 2018. When 2 weeks passed and we'd not heard from the V.A., my son suggested we reach out to the Veterans Service Office. Our rep's a caring sort of fellow, but it looks like we're in the same leaky boat. The V.A. made their determination to deny benefits based on last year's income - not our present circumstances. He suggested we could make a separate claim for Tom's hearing loss and, in fact, filed the claim on our behalf while we waited. There's no guarantee, but he says this way at least they have to see Tom and conduct an evaluation. Praying!
If anyone has good things to say about MediGap insurance policy providers, won't you please point me that direction? I don't want to exhaust what savings we have paying COBRA premiums!
Well, there's lots more, better saved for another day. As ever, thank you so much for visiting, and stay safe, OK?
Hugs from Coosada!
Myra




Isn't it wonderful to see real trees and green grass again? It's one of the things I've delighted in ever since leaving Texas.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes - people (most of them,anyway) are much more friendly (and relaxed) in a small community. My town (how possessive!) here in TN has about the same population as Coosada.
A NY-style deli breakfast sounds great - - but I can definitely do without the grits.
HA! You struck a chord. Whenever I move into another house, the first thing I do is change the toilet seats - and the door locks.
Hopefully, somehow, you'll be able to get sufficient health benefits. It ain't easy. Perhaps you can pretend to be an illegal alien......
LOL! Sad, but true about the benefits afforded the illegals. (Until one's lived in Arizona .....)
DeleteYa, all this greenery makes the humidity worth it!
I'm glad you are getting settled in and used to things...and I'll be praying the insurance stuff works out. I am so not looking forward to having to deal with that down the road.
ReplyDeleteI've been to Alabama a couple of times. Tim's sister lives there and two of her three kids and 5 of her grandkids. It is amazing how nice everyone is compared to here in the north. Plus, the pace is slower. I liked that. Are you anywhere near Haleyville?
I had to consult Google for Haleyville, Stacy. It's 2 hrs., 44 minutes north. Actually it appears close to blog buddy Rick (below).
DeleteI know how good it feels to get things done and baby steps is fine! We are blessed that Joe applied for VA back before there were so many restrictions. They help us so much. I don't know any leads to give you for insurance in Alabama. Sorry!! We noticed all those bless yous when we first arrived from metro DC. Now it is normal for us but not taken for granted. We love it.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it crazy, the regional differences in people's behaviors? I think big city dwellers are more reserved/cautious out of necessity. I'll never go back!
Deleteglad you are settling in and finding the new town and people friendly. there are always readjustments on the homefront to contend with though. i love grits.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteI love grits. And Conecuh sausage...don’t get me started :)
ReplyDeleteHope you and your hubby work through coverage issues for healthcare. For major stuff, I’d head to the VA Hospital in Birmingham. I have friends who use it and say they do good work there.
I wonder if the VA Hospital is still an option for any 'major stuff'? Something worth checking into, for sure. Thanks!
DeleteI love grits...I love food in Alabama. Sounds like you are getting settled in. We are moving from city to country this fall. I have lived in both Alabama and Arizona too and was not crazy about the extreme dryness, I don't really care for the damp humidity either. Guess I just can't be satisfied!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting, Nawm! Your profile 'occupation' cracks me up! 'Wish I'd thought of that! Now I need to get busy and update my own.
Deleteyour street is beautiful, and GRITS oh my! one of my favorite foods and when i married bob the yankee doodle dandy, I am rebel to the bone, he had NEVER had grits. he said i don't eat cereal. i said CEREAL? this is a staple. he now loves grits and cheese and sometimes that is one of our meals for lunch or dinner. i do have to say it is not delish in every place you find it. must be cooked properly to taste good. and never put sugar and milk on it. YUCK.
ReplyDeleteso happy you are finding friendly folks so fast. about INS... i retired at 62 and there is no good insurance between then and 65 Medicare... i paid Cobra and it nearly broke us... hope the VA can get it straight. why would they look at last year is the question. good luck with that, i have heard a few tales about dealing with VA
How funny, "the yankee doodle dandy"! Tom wasn't familiar with grits either, and still isn't crazy for them like me. I never heard of making them with cheese! (Google-Girl, here I come!) My son's all the time catching grief from Lois for putting sugar on his grits.
DeleteI kept supplemental insurance with the company I worked for for several years after retirement but the expense became too much. My sister suggested her independent insurance agent and I called and got better coverage for less than half the cost. You should find an local independent agent and check it out. I too love grits and was first introduced to them when traveling in the south. Every meal came with a side of grits. It may take until next year for the VA to come through but don't stop trying. My BIL gets excellent benefits, not all free but definitely enough to make a huge difference. It is wonderful to know you don't have a deadline. I've lived here for a year now and still haven't hung any pictures and have only blinds at the windows. It will get done, but I'm in no hurry. Life is sweeter in the slow lane.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea, Ma! We've not met many folks yet, but I'm going to ask for independent agents' recommendations. Because my working 3 months this year + both of us drawing SS, I'm afraid we'll still be ineligible next year. (Threshold for Elmore Co. is but $42,020.) But yes, I'm not going to stop trying!!!
DeleteI hate insurance issues. I hope it all gets sorted out for you. I'm glad that other things are moving along well. Have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! Y'all do the same, Debby!
DeleteI don't know how, but I missed this. as always a great visit. Yeah the changing states is a big problem, but taking it is stride will work.
ReplyDeleteDishwasher? yeah they do tend to have a 'Imma fall on you' if the upper front is not 'screwed in', LOL I must do the same at our little house in Deltona.
I strongly suggest a HELPER for a talk with the VA. I used the 'American Legion' as a last resort and it worked.
Hopeing the best all round, especially on the 'stinking healthcare situation' faced by many working and honest retired folk.
I'm smiling at the Native American name, we cross a river in South CArolina called the 'Cossawhatchie'
Love to you and Tom, the dude!
PS: I love Grits, Sherry has turned yankee on me and prefers hash browns. ha
Ya, it's fun learning to pronounce these city/village names.
ReplyDeleteAmerican Legion? Sounds like a good idea ... thank you, Jack (and Sherry)!
So good to hear of your progress! Sorry about the letdown at the VA. Sure hope it all changes soon for Tom. I like grits but Tom loves them and makes them often with our morning egg dishes. We like the mom & pop eateries too that invite warmth and good food. Bless your new home and you two also!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! Warmth and good food reminds me of that place where we met y'all for breakfast ... great memories.
DeleteI've always been throughly confused by Vets Benefits. I was under that sad impression that our country was taking care of our Vets. Guess not, huh. I just have my medicare. And I stay out of the doctor's offices. I feel the more often you go the more they find wrong with you. It's big business to say the least.
ReplyDeleteMe, too, Paula. The rule about household income eligibility was actually enacted by Congress in 2015. Joe-Q-Veteran's got a long road ahead. Tom and I've only our Medicare, as well. What an incentive to stay healthy!
Delete