Don’t you love it
when an old memory resurfaces .... and you can’t help but smile all over
again?
With apologies to
Ronnie Milsap, I’m feelin’ lost in the 80’s tonight!
* * *
Having reached my mid-30’s, I
didn't think it possible to develop a crush. I was wrong.
Long before
“Bridal Fairs” became commonplace, my employers partnered to develop and stage
such an exposition. Sure enough, come that chilly January morning, management
was ecstatic at promised revenues. The rest of us were already weary ... a
good 3 hours before the doors were scheduled to open.
Arriving at the
Civic Center, I immediately regretted my decision not to wear a tux, feeling it
wouldn’t look feminine. Wrong .. our team looked glamorous! The peach suit and
pearls I'd selected with such care felt downright frumpy. Oh well.
Taking a seat in the foyer, I began sorting registration cards.
Taking a seat in the foyer, I began sorting registration cards.
Eyeball-to-thighs. Peripherally, I noted
a co-worker needed something. Again.
“Hold on a sec.” I held up an
index finger. “97, 98, 99, 100 ... there!”
“What can I do
for ....”
The question died
in my throat; my face began to burn. Just two feet away stood the soap-opera
“villain” who I’d harbored a ridiculous crush on for years!
Was it coincidence I’d
lost interest “Days” following his scripted demise?
What was HE doing
HERE .... today?
Belatedly, I recalled the network loaning us one of their
actors to boost attendance and moderate the fashion show.... but I’d paid no attention.
Gathering what
little wits I had about me, I introduced myself and (with what I hoped would
pass as self-deprecating humor) explained my admiration .... and astonishment
at his presence.
J was similarly
confused. “What, exactly, is a Bridal Fair?”
Happily, I
abandoned my post to show him backstage. Improbably, it seemed I’d found a
pal: A few moments later J was back to help fold programs, stuff bags.
As the day grew
long, our feet were beyond pain; faces stiff from smiling. Still, I
was over-the-moon visiting J backstage. More comfortable in the role of
listener, I learned of his passion for classical music and the theater. The
speech patterns I recalled from television were true ... and
endearing!
When J asked what
everyone was doing after closing, my imagination went amok. (Of course it did
....) But later, hating my unfamiliar resolve, I hurried backstage to say
goodnight. And discovered J dozing fitfully in a folding chair.
The next morning,
I happened downstairs prior to J’s appearance on the local talk-show.
Momentarily shy, I stood aside as he posed for pictures and made the appropriate
noises. Mute, I offered a hand. We hugged and smiled for the camera.
You know, after
all this time, that remembered hug still feels so good!


What a great memory - I take it that was you! I kind of remember him - I did not watch the show but I know he was the villain. How wonderful...
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun memory. And that you got a picture is even better. I never watched that myself but I understand the crush.
ReplyDeleteThis would be great for Flashback Friday!! Cute story! I don't know who J is, but he sure looked handsome with the picture of the two of you!!
ReplyDeletebetty
Love this story! The photo is wonderful of you both.
ReplyDeleteWOW, 'at's one of 'em good memories, huh?
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat entry and story. Thanks, I enjoyed the read even if I didn't know what a Bridal Fair was.
I should know that since I just finished my senior romance novel!
Thanks again....
What a great story! I love a little "claim to fame" story, and you even have the picture to back it up. Since that wasn't one of my soaps (I was a CBS soap watcher), I don't fully recognize his character. I do think I recognize his face, though.
ReplyDeleteYou tell a wonderful story! I love these kinds of stories. Thanks for sharing your memories with all of us!
ReplyDelete