And then it was September! Swiftly flow the days.
If this was 1970-something it's a good bet I'd have been behind the wheel of my sweet little Fiat X19, squeezing adventure into every hour. When did I morph into this homebody, nursing aches and counting fiber? (LOL, I just made that last part up.)
Since we chatted last time?
Tom and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary at Long Horn. Somehow, that's become a tradition for every red-letter date.
Will I ever tire of salmon? Probably not.
Little Grace didn't know what to do with Tom's steak bone. She's never had one before! What to do, but rinse off the seasoning, spread a ratty old towel on the kitchen floor and wish her, Bon Appetit!
I'd great intentions after church to read the day away, but happily traded my time on the phone with Troy and Lois who'd just returned from a celebratory Alaska vacation.
The occasion? After 31 years, he's now retired! Well, I should say, "they"; the last several years she's been there beside him in the truck through good times and difficult, too. Not long ago, I learned that before leaving home each morning they prayed together (that) they'd return home safely. I'm not at liberty to say more, but last night's text read, "While we were away there were 3 shootings at 3 of our old stores."
Thank you, God, for answered prayers!
What else?
Thankful for last night's rain storm, I won't have to concern myself with weed whacking. Tom's finally coming around to the idea of hiring a lawn service next year. (Cross fingers!)
The next few days include more doctor/vet appointments. Rehab, too. While I was enormously relieved to hear I don't have a compression fracture from my fall, I've reluctantly agreed to see what PT suggests for back relief. Every day's a school day!
... and on that note, here's a throwback to 1960.
Where's Myra?
Happy Labor Day, everyone!
Hugs, Myra
Happy Labor Day! I'm so sorry about your back! I hope the PT helps.
ReplyDeleteMe, too!
DeleteHappy Anniversary to you and Tom. Wishing you many more filled with joy, good health, and whatever you desire.
ReplyDeletePraying for you and Tom's good health and happiness.
Here's something that set me thinking: Over here, like where you are, it's been very dry. The garden is like concrete with all the grass dried and gone. But weeds like nettles are growing everywhere. What is it that makes them so resilient to dry weather; and can we use this resilience for other crops?
God bless.
Good question! Because that's above my pay grade, I asked ChatGPT. Here's what it has to say. (Sorry, so long!)
DeleteNettles can look remarkably tough in a drought, but they are not necessarily more drought-tolerant than grass. Several factors give them an advantage:
Perennial underground rhizomes: Stinging nettles spread through persistent underground stems and roots. When the leaves suffer, the plant can survive below ground and regrow when rain returns.
Extensive root systems: Their roots can exploit deeper or more sheltered pockets of moisture than shallow-rooted, stressed lawn grass.
Rapid growth after brief rain: Nettles can quickly use short-lived moisture pulses, especially where soil is richer.
Sheltered microhabitats: They often grow beside walls, hedges, compost heaps, drains and buildings, where soil may stay slightly cooler or retain more moisture.
Tolerance of damage: Their growth points and reserves are protected underground, so losing leaves does not necessarily kill the plant.
Reduced competition: Drought weakens grass, while disturbed or nutrient-rich bare soil gives nettles room to expand.
There is also a common misconception here: nettles generally prefer reasonably fertile, moisture-retentive soil. Their presence does not prove that the whole garden is extremely dry; they may be tapping moisture deeper down or benefiting from locally enriched soil.
Can we transfer this resilience to crops?
Partly, yes—but not simply by crossing crops with nettles. Useful traits could be studied and bred into crops, including:
deeper or more efficient roots;
stronger underground storage organs;
the ability to pause growth during drought and recover afterward;
efficient control of water loss through leaves;
rapid recovery after rainfall;
better use of brief moisture pulses.
Plant breeders already select for many of these traits in crops such as wheat, maize, beans and forage plants. Modern genetic and physiological research can identify the genes and mechanisms involved, but a trait that helps a nettle survive may reduce crop yield, palatability or seed production. Nettles also have a very different life cycle and are not a practical direct source of drought genes for most food crops.
For gardeners and farmers, the most immediately transferable “strategy” is usually soil and root management: add organic matter, mulch, reduce unnecessary cultivation, maintain ground cover, choose locally adapted varieties, and select crops bred for drought tolerance. The goal is not merely to make plants survive drought, but to keep producing a useful harvest while doing so.
You are such a lovely and kind lady Mevely. Thank you so much for all your research in answer to my questions. I am not good with Chat GPT. Father Francis showed me how to do it and I still got it wrong.
DeleteIn our garden the grass has all gone and nettles grow everywhere. I go out with the lawnmower (to the surprise of neighbours) to mow the nettles. As soon as I finish one area they grow in another.
Thank you again and God bless you always my friend.
Gosh, praying for you both and that the suggested PT gives you some relief. Glad you celebrated your anniversary at your favorite place. Salmon is always good, but I have the steak there. Sending a hug your way, Myra! xo
ReplyDeleteThank you, Terri. One of these days I just might break out of my rut, haha!
DeleteOh Myra, I'm so sorry you fell and have pain in your back. Hope the PT will help a lot !!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary and a hearty wish for many, many more. I sure could go for a juicy steak right about now... Salmon not so much ... (:0)
Wish we could afford lawn service so we just keep plugging along. It will be me doing it as Dave just hasn't recovered enough for all the walking involved. This New Normal isn't so much fun but we will get along just fine ...
Sue
We'll see what I'm willing to compromise to afford that! Right now, I'm praying for a good frost advisory.
DeleteGrace sure looks like she's enjoying her treat.
ReplyDeleteActually, she was afraid of it!
DeleteMyra is in the front row, smiles. Happy anniversary and I am so happy for Troy and Lois. Wishing you a beautiful week.
ReplyDeleteYes, I am! But where? (see below).
DeleteYou are the 5th girl from the left top row? including the teacher.
ReplyDelete5th Girl from the left, right. But front row.
DeleteThanks for playing!
Yeah yeah I that's what I meant! 😉 Now that l look it does look like you! Cute.
Delete5th GIRL from the left, on front row? Or is that the 5th PERSON from the left? I had you in the middle row, so now I'm scrambling looking at the front row, and I'm confused if you're the 5th person or 5th girl. I am still not sure which is you! LOL. Anyway, Happy Anniversary! I would've gotten the salmon too. I don't cook it at home because hubby doesn't like it, so I try to get it when I can when we go out. I am sorry to hear that you fell and hurt your back. I missed that apparently. I hope you can get some good relief from some therapy. Hurting backs are NO fun. I know. Grace looks like she's really trying hard to figure that bone out. I'm sure she enjoyed it, even if she just sniffed at it. LOL. Sending you (((HUGS))) and prayers for feeling better soon.
ReplyDeleteOops! Make that third person, smack in the middle. I don't do salmon at home, either, for the same reason as you.
DeleteHappy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sandie!
DeleteWishing you both a Happy Anniversary! May the dear Lord bless you both today and always ! It is good to hear of a couple praying together. They say they say the family who prays together, stays together. Wishing them a happy retirement! I'll be praying the PT helps you! Love, ma
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you. Prayers are so valued!
DeleteYou two have been married one year longer than Danny and I have, Myra. Happy Anniversary! May God continue to bless, Troy, Lois and all of your beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Martha!
DeleteLOL!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary. Hopefully she enjoyed the bone. Glad you had a nice phone conversation. How nice that they would pray before they took off in the truck. We also had some rain which we haven't had in awhile. Hope the appointments go well and that physical therapy will help your issue. Hope your Labor Day went well. Take care.
🤗
DeleteHappy Anniversary! I hope your Labor Day was fun.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed and prayers that your appointments go well.
Your smile is the same as it was when you were a little girl.
So far, so good. Thank you!
DeleteI saw your comment on Shug's post about the blog posts being two days behind from our friends. That's what's happening to me too. Not sure what's going on, but I sure hope they fix it. I don't want to go anywhere else!!
ReplyDeleteI know I'm late, but Happy Anniversary! We usually drive over to Baytown and enjoy eating at The Cracker Barrel, it's become our tradition. Sorry to hear about your fall, hope you're recovery well. I have become a stay at home lady too, it's where I want to be.
ReplyDelete