Good morning from the steamy Southlands!
In the words of my favorite weather gal, "I'm officially renaming the month and calling it Sweat-ember until further notice."
Without further ado grumbling, let's play Hodgepodge!
What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to doing?
Decluttering
How easily I've been sucked into inanimate objects with history!
A certain bookmark from an old friend in Texas ..... 4 little scalloped plates which held mother's seafood au gratin ... even a dress I've kept for 40+ years because of who I was when I bought it.
Does that even make sense?
Were you the student who sat in the front row or hid in the back of the class?
Somewhere in the middle, trying to fly under the radar.
If you could go back and take one high school class again just for fun, which would it be?
The thought of going back terrifies me, but let's go with Home Economics. This time, I'd actually try learning to sew ... and not count on my BF to complete my final exam, lol!
What characteristics do you think are essential in a good teacher. (This can be applied to anyone who teaches, not just in the classroom.)
Patience! I'd add, making everyone feel heard; that their thoughts are valued.
September 2 is National Grits Day. Have you ever eaten grits? Are you a fan? If so, how do you like yours? Would people describe you as "having grit"?
Woo-hoo!!!
I love grits! In fact, I enjoyed a big buttery bowl Monday morning at our favorite NY deli.
Unfortunately, Tom's not a fan or I'd try making my friend's recipe with smoked Gouda. Who wants to come over and help me eat?
I love grits! In fact, I enjoyed a big buttery bowl Monday morning at our favorite NY deli.
Unfortunately, Tom's not a fan or I'd try making my friend's recipe with smoked Gouda. Who wants to come over and help me eat?
Do I have grit? That's not something I've thought about... but if it means stepping up to the plate in difficult times? Ya, I suppose so.
What's something you're never too old or too young to enjoy?
Music
Insert your own random thought here.
I recently discovered this little gem on my daily (komando.com) newsletter. Perhaps it will be of interest to someone else?
"Give stores a decoy number. Go to voice google, pick a free number in any area code. That's the one for loyalty programs, raffles, contractors and Marketplace strangers. Spam piles up in the app while your real number stays reserved for family and your doctor."
I hope all y'all enjoy a most blessed day!
Hugs, Myra
Hugs, Myra


Wow...does that really work cuz I wish I had known to do that at the beginning of all those reward programs! Yes to music. That question kind of stumped me but I love reading what fellow hodgepodgers came up with. I do understand all the hesitations when decluttering! Oye! Have a beautiful day!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ellen! I hope yours is/was, too.
DeleteSweatember, that's funny! I love grits and miss the way Tom made them with lots of cream and butter and bacon grease. Even the family loved them. We are joined at the hip!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds delicious!
DeleteI KNEW you would be on Team Grits!
ReplyDeleteYay!
DeleteSweatember....brilliant! I love Kim Komando and will give that a try! Another fun Hodgepodge! xo
ReplyDeleteI don't know when/where I'd need a 'decoy' but I want to do this, too.
DeleteLove your answers Myra.
ReplyDeleteSweatember is hilarious !!
I really do love grits too. But haven't had them in a long time. Dave is a hard NO. When we did trade show work in New Orleans I always ordered them. Yummm
I don't want to go back to school either. Its the past, wasn't bad at all but it is the past ! Really not in contact with many still. Best friends have passed away and I really found out that I wasn't theirs .. sad but true... do I miss them now ? Nope they are the Past !
I could go on and on but I don't think I want to go down that rabbit hole today ... (:0)
Sue
When you feel inclined, Sue, I'd love to hear more.
DeleteOh yes! To me it makes sense keeping all of those things, I am a little bit of a hoarder when it comes to sentimental things.
ReplyDeletePatience is such a big part of being a teacher!
Thank you for understanding!
DeleteYay for grits! Yes, it is so hot here in Alabama. I like that - Sweatember! Smoked gouda grits are yummy!!
ReplyDeleteI really need to indulge, if only for myself.
DeleteI'll definitely stop by for the smoked gouda grits-yum! I understand the sentimentality. Things are often hard to part with because of the memory associated with them. Maybe take some photos of things you think you should give away but don't want to give away. Then you'd at least have a picture to look back at now and then.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea!
DeleteSometimes we keep certain things because of the loved person they remind us of now that they are gone.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have grit in the UK. The nearest equivalent is Polenta.
God bless.
Yes, I imagine their fingerprints ... if only on my heart.
DeleteGrits are a favorite of mine. I makes me feel good. I like brown sugar and butter on mine, altho my SIL believes in scrambled eggs.
ReplyDeleteYummy!
DeleteI've used google voice years ago and then lost it. it was great.
ReplyDeleteThanks for telling me, Debby. What can it hurt?
Delete"Flying under the radar"--lol--thanks I needed that laugh. Thanks Myra. Have a good evening.
ReplyDelete🤗
DeleteWell I do declare....every answer is as if I was writing it. We have much in common with this hodgepodge. Grits...I love them. Of course, around here they are not near as good as what they are in say Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama. Shrimp and grits, buttered grits..I love them all.
ReplyDeleteYes, ma'am! 😋
DeleteLove this post and I have to give grits a big fat yes!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteWe had grits yesterday for breakfast with scrambled eggs and Spam!!! Yes, I do eat Spam! It's great with eggs and grits! (oh, and I did have some toast too). I use the instant kind of grits, so I can make them just for me if hubby doesn't want them, but he usually does want them when I do. Re: going back to school...I have a lot of fond memories of my school days. But I don't think I'd want to go back and relive them at all. Some things are better left where they are...in our memories. I still keep in touch with some of my old friends and I hope we'll get together again soon, before we all get too old to know who we are (were). And decluttering is a nasty word around here. I do try, but yes, most of my clutter are things from people I love(d), who are long gone. I guess I feel like there's still a part of them here with me when I look at and handle these old things, and I keep their memory alive. I know once I am gone many of these things will end up going somewhere else, but that's okay. The younger generation doesn't have the same memories attached and they are "free" to let go. If the day comes that we have to remove this stuff to move on, I will face that day with courage and a few tears, but I will get through it. But why stress myself over it now if I don't have to?? Okay, that's all folks! I loved your post because, as you see, you triggered all kinds of thoughts. Isn't that what blogging is all about?
ReplyDeleteGosh, I've not had Spam in years -- but I like it, too. My daddy used to fix his with something called Scrapple. Ever heard of that?
DeleteI do love grits, especially the way Danny fixes them, Myra. Yes, it's hard to declutter, especially when an item carries the weight of precious memories. I'm guilty of putting it off. I did enjoy school and actually was a teacher, too. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Martha!
DeleteIt's definitely a Sweatember here. Still in the 100 degree range every day. I also like grits. I haven't had them in a long time, but remember the first time I had them. They are definitely a southern thing. Try to keep cool and enjoy what's left of summer. Love, ma
ReplyDeleteHow my daddy loved grits! Unfortunately, back in the 50's-60's they were nowhere to be found in New Mexico.
DeleteOK I am tired, but that opening picture made my mouth water and I didn't even attach it to your title. OUCH! But girl, I did enjoy this one and your answers, I wanted to comment on one and my mind will not connect.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, something about a teacher.. I do not know what she had, but Mrs Grill in my 7th grade was able to point me to poetry, which I had always ignored, or tried to forget. PATIENCE (?) I know she had it, I probably stayed 'after school' to clean boards and erasers, at least once a week, maybe more, but i still liked her.
LOL
Love you girl, course HE ain't crazy about grits....
What a memory for names you have! Bless their hearts, teachers weren't my favorite people.
DeleteLooks like baby food.
ReplyDelete😆
DeleteGlad you are liking your weather. I have so much decluttering to do and I have no clue how to start. It's overwhelming. I agree with Home Economics. Great answer on the teacher. Your grits look delicious. I've never had them. Glad you enjoy music. Interesting random thought.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Debby.
Delete