Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Go Tell it on the Mountain

 



Good morning, fellow Hodgepodgers and sweet friends!

Here in central Alabama, there's no mountainscape outside my window ..... but one can dream!  On that note, let's let our thoughts turn to the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

Joyce asks --



When you think of Autumn, what sounds come to mind?

I've not attended a football game in years.  Yet.  There's just something special about the sound of a high school band's pep tunes and pounding drums, accompanied by youthful chants and cheers.

These young people may not be as athletically superior as those in the NFL, the cheerleaders less sophisticated.  To me, however, little can compare to their enthusiasm.  Carpe diem!



Is a trip to the mountains something you enjoy?  Crisp, piney air.  What's your favorite mountain?

I'd adore a trip to the mountains, but that's not in the cards right now.

My favorite mountain?
Technically, my hometown sits on something called the Pajarito Plateau (7,000+ elevation) -- not a mountain per se, but surrounded by the Jemez and Sangre de Cristos.

The road home ... Los Alamos, NM




What's something that once felt like a mountain but is now just a molehill.

I wouldn't call it a 'molehill', but navigating the health-care system no longer gives me "the vapors."  LOL.




Let's play this or that-fall foods edition. Yes, you have to choose. 

Pumpkin spice latte o.  Chai latte.  I've never tried it!

Apple cider or hot chocolate  Um, no thank you.

Stew or chili.  Both, please.

Sweet potato casserole or  Green bean casserole

Butternut squash soup  or creamy mushroom soup

Cranberry sauce or  Gravy




Sum up your September in a sentence or two.



I can't say it any better than this!
(Credit Facebook)



Insert your own random thought here.


Thank y'all so much for the prayers.  They were felt!

Not 24 hours after his scans, Tom's primary called.  She asked us to come back and pick up a new antibiotic; we've an appointment tomorrow at Wound Care.

We won't see the Neurologist for another 10 days, but I've gone online and copied the radiology results.
Hopefully, AI will translate them into "real people" verbiage.
Ha!  No more medical secret code-speak.

(It's always something, right?!)





Wishing all y'all a blessed day!

Hugs, Myra


30 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that Tom's doctor has already been in touch! Sounds like everything is okay, Myra. And yes, navigating the health care system is not for the faint of heart. I'd love to be able to go back to the Nantahala or Smoky Mountains, but that's now just part of my memory bank. Glad that I saw them, though!
    Wishing you a blessed day, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm always reminding my son to travel while they're still young and able.

      Delete
  2. I'll continue to pray for you and Tom.

    God bless always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I miss the Sierras and Lake Tahoe. Its not in the cards for us anymore either. The aging process can be a downer but I always try to look up to the mountain tops and get out of the valleys.
    Sounds like good results from the doctor for Tom.
    It sure seems like it is always something.
    Love the poem about Fall that you posted.
    I love the sounds of high school and college football games. Its something so soul stirring for me. Maybe its my memories of HS band and playing at every game.
    Happy last day of September !!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soul stirring ... yessss! What instrument did you play, Sue?

      Delete
  4. Oh I never thought about the sounds of high school football games, but they were a huge part of my young life one time, as a cheerleader...I made a LOT of noise! LOL. And the band playing and everyone cheering 2 bits 4 bits 6 bits a dollar. All for our team stand up and holler! Go Bulldogs! Yay!!! LOL. Oh, I do hope everything comes out ok for Tom's tests, etc. Saying a prayer for him now. Love the poem at the end. September sure flew right by in a hurry, didn't it? Wow! Take care my friend. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I wish July and August had done the same.

      Delete
  5. The other day I was walking by the local high school and heard the marching band practicing. The sound made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're fortunate that the local high school is only a mile (or so) away so I can hear them and smile, too.

      Delete
  6. AI has helped me so much in understanding the big medical words on Sam's clinical notes. I hope they do the same for you. Fall is indeed my favorite time of the year and I am with you...I love the sound of the bands playing and the drums beating. Truthfully, I think that band members have the ability to carry themselves into a great future with their ability to understand music. I love football, but I know many guys(including my Sam) who are now paying for those hits to the knees while playing high school football. Keeping you all in my prayers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shug! On the other hand, I took piano lessons for years but can't read a single note of music today. True story!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad the prayers were felt. Oh, I have many fond memories of my sons playing HS football and one that went on to play college football before he left for the Navy. In the bay area, you feel more Fall than up here. It's been in the high 90's with single digit humidity. That's fall here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How proud you must have been, watching them out there on the field!

      Delete
  8. Yes, God is always faithful!! And prayers continue for you and your Tom! Good memories for me of high school football games and half-time shows!! Yes! Sending a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still find the health care system a bit daunting. My primary care dr just switched computer/my chart systems and we have to create new accounts etc. ugh. Maybe it's not healthcare but technology in general that feels like a mountain. Hope all is well with your Tom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I get that! You should hear the tone of Tom's voice when he mutters, "Technology!"

      Delete
  10. I can just imagine the sound of a football game and the high school band playing!
    That is a great way to sum September up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite mountain would be in West Virginia. They are not huge like the rocky mountains but are beautiful. We used to sing, Coming around the mountain as we drove to my grandparents house. There were a lot of twists and hairpin turns. Summing up September here, I can only say it was hot and it still is. Hang in there navigating the health system. Continued prayers for both of you! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember singing that song! I imagine West Virginia is lovely, indeed. What's that John Denver line, "Almost Heaven, West Virginia ..."

      Delete
  12. You asked what instrument I played in our high school band. It was the Alto Clarinet. Kind of big with a bell like a saxophone. Can I play it now ...Nope. All I could do now was make a huge squawk with the reed...haha ... I have no desire to ever play it again but it helped me see all the football games and do special events and competitions which let me march in President Kennedy' s inauguration and travel. Really precious memories.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. No matter what we have gone through God is always faithful.
    I like AI too. It helps, doesn't it?
    So glad Tom got some new medicine.
    I will tell you this, it is not for the faint of heart to go through medical issues. I feel things are changing for the worse too. Can't put my finger on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed your answers. Uggh yes, navigating healthcare and insurance. So annoying

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the smiles and keeping you both in prayer. Have a beautiful Friday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  16. God is indeed faithful. Medical jargon is hard to interpret!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for letting me know I forgot to post this week's HP!! This week's questions are up now 10/5 : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. this makes me jealous, that you thought of AI translations from doctor speak before I did.. what a super idea. on the food list, I love all that is on there but since I have never had latte of any kind don't know if I would like it or not.
    I don't have a favorite mountain, but I do love mountains, the mountains in SE Kentucky were the best time of my life from age 10 to 15... the area around the infamous Harlan County....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!