Tuesday, September 23, 2025

Inelegantly Aging

 




I wanted to title this, "Accidentally Aging", but sweet Latane beat me to it.


So, the dear folks at Publix sent me a Happy Half-birthday.  Funny, I don't remember growing older.


Nevertheless, my mirror don't lie.  Neither does my body's operating system.   I've been sitting here, a tube of Voltaren at the ready, researching night driving glasses.  (I was led to believe the cataract surgery a few years ago would solve night blindness.  They lied.)  


See, the day before Tom's recent procedure we were told to be at Alex City's surgicenter by 6am.  Since the only light along those narrow backroads comes from someone's dim porch light or the whites of an animal's eyes, my stomach began doing somersaults. Thankfully, before I could pick up the phone to make a room reservation, they moved it back.   Ours was still a white-knuckle drive, but it's humbling.


And how about the many check-in processes when asked for date of birth?   Naturally, there's no privacy ... those last 4 numbers?  I can't help but surreptitiously steal a glance to my right.  The left.  Comparison is the thief of joy, right?


There's plenty of other giveaways.  For instance?

The other night, I searched television listings for the Miss America pageant.  (Yep, I'm olde school.)  Finally, a grainy showing on YouTube.   That used to be network "appointment TV" for mother and myself.  Bert Parks, "There she is ...."  


For no other reason than laziness, we recently watched the Emmy's ... and realized neither of us had a clue who those elegantly dressed, Botox-ed celebrities even are.


One of my son's favorite terms is FOMO.  Not so much me; I lean more towards JOMO.  

In this season, I'm more choosy coloring outside the lines.  


Reminded, how blessed I am to learn!  Like yesterday at class ..... discovering I'm not the only one who grows annoyed when my carefully-orchestrated day's agenda goes awry.  Someone suggested we ask ourselves, "What is the adventure in the interruption?" 
(I need to tattoo that on my palm!)

I like what Donna Ashworth says: "Just enjoy your life ... it's a one-time kind of a deal."  



Here's to Glorious Un-endings!




Big hugs!

Myra



    






40 comments:

  1. When I read your words "I don't remember growing older", my mind finished with "when did they?" Now I will have the song Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites! Thank you for recognizing it, Kathy.

      Delete
  2. I am going to use my not so hot calligraphy skills to write this on a card and hang it in my kitchen as my new mantra "What is the adventure in the interruption?" Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aging is something we all have to do, Some do it better than others. I'm just happy I keep waking up every morning! For me every day is adventure. Hope you enjoy yours! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, do I ever hear you, Myra. When I think about the age I've actually reached, it just doesn't seem right. How did this happen? Do I look like the proverbial old lady? Physically, yes, mentally? I'm still a kid at heart. Blessings, and thanks for your prayers for Danny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't watch any of the awards shows anymore because I don't know any of the 'stars' either. As for aging, WoW, now that's a journey to be reckoned with. My favorite saying these days, "Just do what you have to do and smile about it!' Might as well smile, cause there ain't nothin you can do about it anyway. We must stick together, us old folks. With that said, have a terrific Tuesday☺♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that picture at the end! That is me in my mind. Not so much in my reality. Yes, aging isn't for sissies. With my 3/4 century birthday this week, I am thankful to have survived and arrived here in one piece, and I pray that God will continue to carry me the rest of my life's journey in relatively calm and lack of too many difficult surprises. One can only handle so many of those in a lifetime, but then again, with God, all things are possible, even surviving difficult surprises. We just have to learn to walk by faith and trust Him to be our guide all the way. Regarding driving at night, we recently traded cars for a newer model, and the headlights are significantly brighter. I can actually almost see the sides of the road now! What a miracle! Thankfully we don't go out much at night, but when we do, it's so nice to be able to see where we are going. Of course, I wish those cars coming towards us didn't have such bright lights, but they deserve to be able to see as well. Take care my dear sister in this part of the century. We are survivors, and that is something to rejoice about!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess what Pam says is right. We are Survivors !! I've survived more years than you but its still a journey to be reckoned with.
    I find it more difficult to drive at night too. We don't do it very often anymore.
    Praying for your appointment and the safe drive there. So glad the time got changed for you.
    Dave and I watched a tiny bit of the Emmy's but didn't know anyone and everyone looked so plastic and boring. Botox all the way.
    Going to be a hot one today 100F. Then we have a "cool down" to 89F. Get out the Woolies. HaHa
    Love coming here and love your writing style.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your drive. Yes, giving out information is not fun. Sorry about the Pageant. I watched the Emmy's too. True, we only have a one-time deal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it certainly is a one-time kind of deal. Well put!! We are getting thunder, lightening, and some good rain right now! Yay! Need it. Sending a hug your way! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep having fun is the best strategy. But no sliding down bannisters for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are young if you can name at least six songs currently popular. I can:

    Strangers in the night - Sinatra.
    Volare - Dean Martin.
    Rock around the clock - Bill Haley and His Comets.
    Yakety Yak - The Coasters.
    Don't be cruel - Elvis Presley.
    All I have to do is dream - Everly Brothers.

    See ... I am younger than you think.

    Be happy. No matter what age you are. People often tell me to act my age!

    God bless, Mevely and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've cited two of my all-time favorites, Victor. Gold star!

      Delete
  12. Fun post about aging. We all go through it like misery loves company. If I had to do it alone and no one was aging - think how miserable that would be.

    Nope, I don’t do Emmy’s, Academy Awards or any award shows. I haven’t seen any of them in decades. Just boring to me. When you think about it, these award shows feed into their narcissism. I like the old stars best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Thank you for these great points, Debby.

      Delete
  13. Dear Mevely !
    It was such pleasure to read your witty words,i absolutely loved your sense of humour 🤗

    I fully agree with your first meme that your age is what you feel 🥰☺️
    Wishing you happiness on your happy birthday friend 🤗♥️👍

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty sure my Operating System has expired and doesn't do up-dates anymore. Nothing in my physical or emotional software seems compatible with modern life. Happily, I don't know who any of the current Whatever's are in Hollywood or music. It can stay that way. I'm so ready to be with Jesus but don't want to do anything to hurry that. He wouldn't be pleased if I did. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am JOMO to the bone and have been for many years if that means Joy of missing Out, I had to look up FOMO and figured it out. I have to say that was in my past FREEDOM. now that I am tied to his house with no one to give me respite, I have changed and just want to go wander in a store or a park anything but here.
    I never watched beauty pageants because celebrated beauty that people were born with and did nothing to become that way, makes me MAD.. the reason being I was not born with what they had so why were they better than me and to be celebrated
    the last few award shows we watched, even the country music one, we knew hardly any of the actors/singers/dancers etc. all the ones we knew are dead.
    and for that reason I never care about someone hearing my age, in fact am proud to let people know how old I am, since all the females on maternal side died at age 63, and I am 81 and proud to say it.
    that said I do have secrets that no one knows or every will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it (pageants) that way. Ya, it does seem society idolizes those with pretty faces; I used to pray for that, believing all my problems would be solved. (Thank God for unanswered prayers!)

      Delete
  16. I always tell my kiddos that you are as old as you feel...can't lie, lately that number is climbing on up there. Aging can be quiet humorous. One day you're eating pizza at midnight and next you're wondering if pizza at 7PM is going to give you heartburn all night long. And don't even get me started on how difficult it is to make sure that our doctors appointments don't interfere with my "stay at home" day. lol...aging is not for the young at heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Just a morning spent at the (auto) dealership wore me out.

      Delete
  17. I don't remember growing older either and I do not know when it happened either! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am smiling, I am with the madsnapper, but I did have to look up both FOMO AND JOMO, I am pretty danged old and out of it. LOL Love you girl try to be good..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alphabet soup, right?! I often have to ask my son what this or that means.

      Delete
  19. I chuckled at JOMO. I have a tendency to have FOMO.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha Myra, to answer your question about who was who in the hair puller photo ... Younger son Mark is the baby pulling the hair.
    In the brothers photo Mark is on the right. Neither one have hair now haha, their choice to shaving it. Mark is now 6 ft.3 and almost 6 years younger than Steve. Steve is 6 ft. and looks like my side of the family, while Mark favors his Dad's side.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!