Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Water Cooler Wednesday

 


    It's been a while since we gathered at the cooler!



Thanks to Bret Nicholaus and Paul Lowrie for a whole "New Generation of Questions"!

There are several that piqued my fancy, but
considering the Nation's focus on Hurricane Idelia and our friends in Florida .....


I'm curious,

What is the most incredible (or interesting) weather event you've ever been through?




Hugs, Myra
(My answer can be found in the comments.)



17 comments:

  1. Haboob! It sounds naughty, but it's not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYnuzoH5oBA

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! a hurricane of sand not water.. never seen one and hope I never do. Other than 3 hurricanes in 6 years here in Florida the one that comes to mind is No Name Storm, it was called that. I was at work and it started to STORM, it rained and thundered and went on and on and on. the parking lot filled with water, the mall across the street parking lot filled with water. it rained for hours. i went to look out the front door and all the cars in both parking lots were under water. some up to the doors others to the windshield. there was one row of cars, right in front of the door that had zero water, it was raised. 20 cars with no water in acres of cars under water. Mine was in one of those rows. I was always first to work and was in my usual place. that storm flooded streets and it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get home and I lived 5 minutes away. All of my team of 21 lost their cars to that flood, Bob would have been in the Sears lot with his flooded but has just retired.
    The storm came out of nowhere and left damaged homes and cars all over the city.
    I got married in a tropic storm, in Sept 1963 in Savannah and drove down here for our honey moon, and the storm followed us. That marriage was a storm for 18 years

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a young teenager I was in the car with my dad when a tornado came through the area. He followed it for a couple of miles before heading home.

    Back then it was exciting; now all I can think about is how dangerous it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the UK it rains before it is about to rain.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably the blizzard of 1978 here in Ohio. It was ridiculous...so much snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blizzards and hurricanes! The moment I remember best is Hurricane Gloria, 1985. I had gone to work -- not a good idea -- and went out at lunch and watched a plate glass window blow out from the winds. Have never underestimated a hurricane since then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GITMO was the perfect weather, loved it, miss it still. We once tried to out run a hurricane and it caught up with us in Georgia as a Tropical Storm. We were just missed by at leased one tree by 2 feet just inside the GA line. LOL
    "Let all the wind out or me", Yep I like that.... good description..
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once went through a tornado while camping. I was there with my youngest son and a friend of his.
    the storm outside was so bad with lightning strikes, we could move to safety and get out of the camper. I felt like we were inside a dishwasher. It turned out that the tornado was only in the tree tops and didn't hit ground. So we got through the storm safely. I couldn't wait to get home where things felt much more safe! Hope the storm there is mild, My son that lives in Florida messaged me this morning to say they were safe they only got some rain, but the sun was shining there this morning. They were safe from the storm too! Be safe and take precautions, Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  9. The worst weather event for me was the blizzard of '93. Never saw so much snow, and we were out of electricity for an entire week!
    Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurricane Alisha, it was a very tense night. My home wasn't damaged but my yard was in terrible shape, it took down a huge tree in my back yard, laid it over across the yard and didn't damage the house. That itself was amazing. The bank where I worked, windows blown out and water everywhere. Pieces of glass were imbedded in the top of my desk and the drawers full of water. AND hot, steaming hot. I'll never forget that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The worst I have experienced was in January 1979 where we got 21 inches of snow back in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurricane Sandy, the Perfect Storm of '91 and an F5 tornado. All of them just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Back-to-back blizzards when we lived in Virginia. We had 30 inches of snow and that is what made us decide to move to Florida. As for the hurricanes, we had back-to-back (over a few weeks) Frances, Jean, and Charley went right over Lakeland in 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  14. having grown up in Florida, we have weathered many hurricanes throughout the years. Thankfully we have always lived in the more central part of the state away from the coasts, so our damages have been limited to some trees falling (thankfully not on us) and lots of rain and power outages. This time we were very blessed to not have any damage at all and no power outage. We are VERY thankful to God.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No hurricanes or tornadoes, just drought and the 2011 wildfire that burned everything on our land in the mountains. Then not only having to rebuild up there, but many years of flash flooding afterwards that washed away our way in and cost big bucks for road reconstruction.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blizzards and floods. The crazy blizzard that trapped my tiny HYundai under a ton of snow and 6 non English speaking Mexican men who shoveled around it and lifted it out of the snow as if it were a Barbie car. Refused money Avery tried to pay them. God bless each one of them and I think about them when the weather is wild.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!