Saturday, April 30, 2022

Saturday 9

 

As Time Goes By ...








Who can resist this achingly beautiful love theme from Casablanca?  Not me!   (Unfamiliar with this tune?  Hear it here.

Without further ado! .....

🌹


This song begins with, "You must remember this."  Do you often write things down to help you remember?


Sure do!  I'm addicted to these lined index cards and usually keep several at the ready.
Alternatively, I'm learning to use my phone's Alexa app as a grocery list.



The lyrics tell us that moonlight and love songs are never out of date.  Tell us about something else that seems timeless.

How about the ocean?
Whether serene or stormy, it's eternal.



Originally written in 1931, "As Time Goes By" is best known as the love theme from the 1942 film, Casablanca.  According to the American Film Institute, there's only one song from a movie soundtrack that's more expressly identified with the films: Over The Rainbow from The Wizard of Oz.  What song reminds you of your favorite movie.

Against the Wind (from Forrest Gump)

I've no idea who put this particular version together -- it's not on YouTube -- but I think it's wonderful.  (Yes, I cried.)

https://fb.watch/cGEHHfVl2T/



This version is from The George Sanders Touch, an LP recorded by an Oscar-winning character actor.  There is scant evidence that it sold well.  Tell us about something you thought was a good idea at the time, but looking back, would have done differently.

Leaving Florida for Arizona.




This album was really something of a consolation prize for George.  He worked with a vocal coach, hoping to win the romantic lead in the film version of South Pacific, but alas, the role went to a younger man.  He had fun making this record instead.  Have you recently taken lemons and made lemonade?

I don't know that this counts, but.
My son and his family are experiencing a tumultuous season in their lives.  It's not my story to tell; I'm trying to give them space.

On the bright side, I've had several deep, heart-wrenching and heart-warming phone conversations.  Troy's sharing feelings I never knew about; my heart's full.   



He usually played suave-but unsympathetic characters.  That's why he gave his autobiography the self-aware title, Memoirs of a Professional Cad.  What would you call your life story?

But by the grace of God ...



The night he won  his Oscar, George Sanders accepted the statuette, bowed deeply and then, safely behind the curtain and away from cameras, surprised onlookers by crying.  Have you every cried tears of joy?

Many times!



George Sanders wed perennial talk show guest and occasional actress Zsa Zsa Gabor in 1949.  Sixteen years after their divorce, he married Zsa Zsa's less famous but also glamorous sister, Magda.  After a month, George and Magda thought better of it and had the union annulled.  Sam thinks this is one of the oddest romantic tales she's ever stumbled upon while researching Saturday 9.  Have you ever known anyone who divorced one sibling and then married another?  (Hallmark movies don't count.)

Thankfully, no!



Random question:  You're in a line of 25 people at the post office.  How many of those other 24 are more patient at waiting than you are?

More patient?  1 or 2, maybe.  I love listening to the friendly interchanges between ther clerks and customers.




29 comments:

  1. I love that some good is coming from your son's tumultuous time.

    Waiting in line can be an entertaining place for people watching, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your son and all your family. Continue to trust in God.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind lines unless I am trying to get somewhere for an appt. this means I don't do anything that has a line when I am in a hurry. I enjoy lines. I don't even get impatient when waiting throught a traffic signal a 2nd time. I watch the people and vehicles. Bob goes ballistic at any wait ant all. About all these songs and movies, I have not watched any of them, and will not. the first song, I listened to 50 seconds and my teeth clinched. think this kind of music in these movies could be used to torture me and I would tell what I knew at the first line. Bob loves all songs that were before I was born in 1944. he can sing them all, knows all the words and loves Sinatra and Crosby and when he sings them I beg him to stop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny -- Bob and I are just like; my Tom's like you.

      Delete
  4. I've been unable to comment so I thought I'd try anonymous, We'll see how that goes. Interesting mime today. I love all those old songs. Hope what ever is going on with your son, works out for the best. We're uphill on our roller coaster weather today, warmer and not freezing. Hope all is well with you ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for telling me you'd been experiencing challenges, Ma. Glad to know I didn't say anything to offend you!

      Delete
  5. Prayers for Troy and his family, and for you, Myra. Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martha! They're all heard.

      Delete
  6. Keeping your son and his family in prayer...God knows, so you don't have to explain etc..HE knows. Nonetheless, I will remember them in prayer.

    I also love the friendly banter between customer and clerk(s). And one movie song that always sticks out in my mind is Edelweiss from the Sound of Music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites! And when I had that brief part-time job at the funeral home, the director would often sing it (to no-one in particular).

      Delete
  7. probably the middle of the 25 ranked, and when I can hear, it is nice to hear a witty clerk during a hectic time....
    These times seem to PRESENT occasions for 'those family times'. We are facing one at present that is NO fun.
    We are on the move today.
    Oh, and there were many songs, not necessarily sound tracks I loved, but was discussing this yesterday, music is no fun to my hearing any more and that is sad....\On the go..... ;-) PS good read....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These (PO) clerks are the best and seem to know all the regulars. One fellow is often overheard asking, "How's your momma?"

      Delete
  8. Against the Wind is a great song choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our life story sounds very much the same

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? So glad to have evolved from some other, earlier choices.

      Delete
  10. I am so happy something good is coming from the bad times in your son's life. You know my story with my son...and I know so many these days who end up rejected by their adult children so this just warms my heart and helps fan the flames of hope.

    By the way, I just figured out why I haven't been seeing your posts if you've been wondering why I haven't stopped by in forever. For some reason your blog isn't updating on my blog roll so it's always at the bottom hidden away out of sight. I'm trying to figure out why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaat? Thank you for telling me, Stacy; I was concerned I'd said something to offend you.

      Delete
  11. This was a wonderful post. I will keep your son and his family in my prayers. We all go through difficult times in life at one time or another and we all need each other's prayers and understanding. Any family who manages to get through this life without any "issues" probably has lived a very sheltered and boring life. (or they just are oblivious to the truth!) The title for my life story is "Giant Leaps of Faith and Other Crazy Moves". That truly is the title of the book I want to write, but I'm not sure we are done with the giant leaps of faith and other crazy moves yet, so I can finish the book. LOL. We never know what interesting things could still be in store for us in life. Take care my friend, and yes, God is in control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a splendid title, Pam! I love your attitude; nope, we're not even close to being done. (God willing.)

      Delete
  12. I really can't stand talking to my devices, but Google has a WONDERFUL and simple task app that is just a list maker. I love it for groceries. It is called Google Tasks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of that one! Thanks for telling me!

      Delete
  13. How does that work with Alexa and the grocery app? I like a physical list, lol, that I can cross off as I put the item in the shopping cart (well I did when I was grocery shopping but hubby does all the shopping with the list I give him these days). I am so sorry to hear about your son and his family and their tough times/situation. Will pray for them. Glad though that you have had those conversations with Troy. I think every mom of a son would like to have those types of conversations (I know I would lol). I do like to people watch so I wouldn't mind a line in the post office or any other place. As long as I didn't have to go to the restroom though :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a 'regular' Alexa, right? I just downloaded the app on my phone and they communicate. Like, I'll be doing dishes and remember something random. Hey, Alexa! Put xxx on my shopping list. When I go to check my phone's list, it's there! The only downside: It groups items by category (ie, dairy), where I make handwritten lists based on the store's layout.

      Delete
  14. So sorry to learn your son is having a troublesome time right now. Prayers lifted. I use the Notepad app on my phone for my grocery list. Didn't think about using Alexa! Love & hugs, dear friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds immature, but I love talking to Alexa. She always obeys, LOL!

      Delete
  15. I love As Time Goes By, but from the TV series of the same name starring Judy Dench. It warms my heart every time I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that series, but I just went to Google and fell in love with the description. I'll look for it on Amazon Prime.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!