Sunday, April 3, 2022

From the Slow Lane



Penny for your thoughts?




Good grief!   'Seems like I was just drafting my To-Do Possibilities List for the coming week and that week's already in the can.  Let's recap!


Out my window? ...

My son was spot on when he said, be prepared for all 4 seasons -- sometimes all in 48 hours!  I've been changing clothes twice, sometimes 3 times a day.


I swear, animals are keenly aware when something's about to go down.   All Wednesday afternoon Macie kept pacing, wanting to go out - then she'd just stand, looking this way.  And that.  

I was mesmerized by a little squirrel who'd scurried to the tippy-top of a nearby tree -- desperately hanging on to a tender new branch. As the wind buffeted it this way and that, I begged the rodent,  "Come down, baby!  OK then, go up to the sturdy one ... just there, to your right."  In the end I had to remind myself, "His eye is on the sparrow."


Tom thought it amusing:  I'd fallen asleep on the love seat, but the weather radio kept going off.  He said I'd raise my head, listen for a few seconds, then flop back down.  Until about midnight when the city sirens began wailing outside.  We didn't take to the interior bathroom, but I had the presence of mind to grab our helmets.

Don't tell Tom I shared this!

Another reason I love living in Small Town America.  The next morning our ladies group thread began populating:  "How'd everyone make out last night?"



Thankful! ...

Not only were we spared storm damage, but the next day Tom suggested we go have pedicures.  I'm not really into those anymore -- for some reason having my feet rubbed no longer moves me like it once did.   (Plus, I'd feel compelled to buy a pair of sandals -- and that's not gonna happen!)

Plus!

My car's 'maintenance required' light inexplicably came on.  Only two months since we'd had it in the shop, I don't know if I was more worried -- or annoyed.

The nice man explained:  Cars' sensors are programmed to come on at regular intervals. If it wasn't lit while they performed the oil change, etc. they couldn't pre-empt it.  

We stepped out, he pushed some buttons and 30 seconds later I'm good to go.  Honest mechanics = priceless!



Speaking of cars ...

Debbie and I enjoyed our once-monthly 3-1/2 hr. telcon Friday afternoon.  I was both overjoyed and envious to hear about her brand-new, fully loaded Rav4.  

"Honestly, this makes me want to go outside and spit on my pollen-encrusted Camry."

I'm so excited, she may be taking it for a road trip come July!  (Somebody's gotta keep an eye on me if Tom decides to visit Phoenix.)



Just for fun ...

One of my fav venues, Vintage Marketplace was having a Spring fling yesterday.

Normally, I'm not much into retail therapy.  But, who could resist these?!  I chose the Road Trip ones for Debbie's birthday.  I get you can guess which ones called out my name.


Maybe it's a senior-citizen thing, but many of my church lady friends have begun sporting cute socks.  It's a relatively inexpensive indulgence; and frankly, mine are all B-O-R-I-N-G.




Praying ...

...for patience that we hear something from UAB.  Too, that someone from Ashley HomeStore will respond before I'm compelled to start legal proceedings.  4 months now, ours is still a malfunctioning sofa, two enormous boxes (parts) still sit in the foyer -- and they keep making excuses.



Meanwhile ...

It's high time I get out of these glad rags and ready for church.  Y'all have a great day!

Hugs, Myra






27 comments:

  1. So thankful you are safe from the storms. And thankful your car had an easy fix. I'm still waiting for a part to come in that they need to fix mine. Mechanics definitely aren't what they used to be. Now they need a computer to understand what is going on with our cars. I try to leave it all up to the experts, but sometimes I wish I knew more. Hope you all have a good week ahead and enjoy your Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? My friend's new car supposedly has 30 computers. Like my late mother used to say, "Just something else to go wrong." LOL!

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking you got the socks that had the peppers on them that said "Hot Stuff?" I do like variety and color with socks! Oh my with your weather! Your secret is safe with me. I won't let Tom know about that picture, lol :) Really, a honest mechanic is a gift from God I do believe! Glad your car issues were resolved without an expensive repair! And I agree with you, I do think animals have a sixth sense when it comes to weather issues! Be safe out there and enjoy your day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Betty. Not that I'M so 'hot', mind you, but that I love spicy foods.

      Delete
  3. We escaped the brunt of those most recent rounds of storms, too, Myra, and I'm ever so grateful. Love the photo of Tom in his helmet! Lol! Better safe than sorry, though.
    And about those temperature swings? That's typical of spring in the South. It seems to have a hard time in letting go completely of the winter.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, isn't it? But I still wouldn't trade living in the South for any place else.

      Delete
  4. please send me Toms cell number so I can TELL HIM WHAT YOU DID.. LOL.. we had high winds butonly a tad of rain. north and south got a LOT of rain, just not us. i am betting my right arm you got the HOT STUFF socks. the only socks i own are 2 pair of house socks for when feet get cold. i have not worn socks since highschool and they were plain white. so glad you found the ONE HONEST mechanic in the world. happy to hear Debby is feeling good enough to take her Rav4 on a trip.. sometimes i hold my breath when the squirrle jumps from one tree to another out side our living room window, he lands on a thin piece of oak and bounces wildly up and down but have never seen him fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL -- you can keep your right arm! After wearing panty-nylons for 5 decades, I'm enjoying the feel of real socks.

      Delete
  5. Evidently what eve kind of front or weather you had we has the sides. WE had torrential rain and lightening & Thunder. My girl jumps every time. She has no patience with storms.
    Good read. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when those thunder-boomers would start, someone was bound to observe, "God's rearranging his furniture."

      Delete
  6. Thankfully you are all OK after the storms. Must be frightening having to shelter and wear helmets. Here it is still very cold. Had hail the other day. Just after I did some gardening.

    I like the socks. Really fashionable.

    Take care and keep warm both of you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all pretty sobering. At least, there are no locusts. Yet!

      Delete
  7. Boy did we ever have a gully washer yesterday here in sweet home Florida. It got darn right scary...I had forgotten what these southern storms were like. I'll have to email Ya. Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad y'all are finally back where you belong (*grin*). Keep the faith!

      Delete
  8. I'm thankful to hear you weathered the storms well, helmets and all! (I won't tell, pinkie promise!) Hot Stuff socks for you I'm sure! LOL. I love the idea of a road trip. I'd even wear the socks if I could go on one! I do wear little no see-ums socks (below the ankle) in my skechers shoes. They feels so good, but I am having problems replacing the ones I like. They seem to have changed the material or something and they won't stay up on my heels in my shoes. Very frustrating. Why can't they leave things alone??? So now all my favorites have holes in the toes and I don't know how to darn a sock! LOL. I do hope your furniture gets taken care of SOON. Definitely call the company! Go over their heads! Off with their heads if they don't respond promptly! LOL. I hope your crazy weather is over. I'm glad your car was an easy fix. I'm with your mother, "More things to go wrong" with the fancy new cars/appliances, etc. I like to keep it simple! Take care my friend. Always a pleasure to read here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMW, I haven't thought about darning socks in forever. Yes, I remember my poor mother sitting with her darning needle, working on her support hose. Good luck discovering new socks that actually feel GOOD!

      Delete
  9. Hugs back at you! Hope you had a blessed day and that the week ahead will be sweet!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our morning after the storm also started with texts but it was us texting our son who lives in one of the areas where a tornado did touch down. They were fine but were in their safe place -- including the dog and cat! Glad y'all are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you were safe from the storm. I think the idea of a helmet is a great one! I just had a pedicure with Amber in Great Falls, MT. I haven't worn sandals in years but I still like when my toes look pretty. Love the socks. Sorry about your sofa. I pray they fix it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually, we got the idea for helmets from WSFA's news/weather team -- most tornado-related fatalities are the result of head injuries.

      Delete
  12. Time flies indeed! It's already the start of the 2nd quarter of the year. I hope you have a good month. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I prayed for all of you in case the storm came too close for comfort. We have cold and windy, lots of 80 MPH wind! LIke the praiires of olden days. Tough week, lots of losses. pets and people. sadness abounds. Honest mechanics are precious gems. Furniture stores are like used car sales, crooked. I had an ashley furntirue cc. Because I took my time using it they cancelled it so there goes the credit score, out the window. SOmething happened when ATys R Us went under. They filed bankrupcty not me. These credit bureaus do not care. UGH !!!!! SOmetime a good lawyer is what a person needs. Prayers for you and Tom too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!