Saturday, December 11, 2021

Our week that was

 

Whew!  You've heard me say it before, but time really is a thief!

Grand #2 turned 24 --and tomorrow my favorite son will be 52.  How can that be??? Last month DIL Lois surprised him with tickets to see the Rolling Stones -- then this weekend at Orange Beach.  I love her giving heart.


Let's see ...

I had quite a scare Monday afternoon when the infusion company informed me there would be no more deliveries. Unbeknownst to us, Tom's original order had expired.  Thankfully, their pharmacist was able to reach the infectious disease specialist who wrote a new script. New antibiotics were delivered via courier  yesterday afternoon -- just in time.  Man, I'm getting too old for this stuff.


We met with both of Tom's doctors -- who green-lighted him to begin driving, and lift random items weighing more than a Bible.  Really!   That very caution was included in his discharge instructions: "Don't lift anything heavier than a Bible."


🎄


It's unseasonably warm -- weird warm -- again.  But I still felt led to make a big pot of chicken soup.  Just so happens, the day before I'd treated myself to a stroll through the Vintage Marketplace on Main.

..... where I found this cheery soup bowl.


I was sorely tempted to add this sweet pillow to my cart.

Too, this Christmas goat ....
before deciding he'd probably give little Grace a heart attack.
Ya, I'm weird that way.


Anyway.  'Not sure what I did differently than last year, but gosh!  The soup was bland-bland-BLAND.  Last night I added copious amounts of Hatch chile, cheddar -- and walnuts, too.  They've become my new go-to snack.


I dunno, there's something about chilly weather that makes me want to put on Perry Como's Christmas classics and play in the kitchen.


I've been thumbing through my mother's old cookbooks but realized no-one here is particularly fond of kuchen ... potato pancakes ... rice casserole.


Feeling humbled to realize, how few of her recipes contained meat.  Theirs must have been a shoestring budget, but I can't remember ever going without.




🎄


So, I'll finish the rest of my Christmas cards this weekend.  A letter, too, for those not on social media or from whom we've drifted.

Other than that, I'm feeling strangely mellow.  I still need to pick up a gift certificate for our home health nurse and a whimsical something or another for our church ladies' "dirty Santa" exchange.

Tom and I've agreed not to exchange gifts again this year.  But I may draft another 'Grown-up Christmas List' just for giggles.
I hope you'll stay tuned!


Holiday hugs!
Myra







   


28 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful the new prescription arrived in time. You'd think something like that would not have an expiration date. It's the little things like driving that are really appreciated when you can longer do them. I imagine Tom is excited about that. Happy birthday to your loved ones. Time flys by and all the sudden we wonder where the years went to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I think what happened, when Tom was first hospitalized in September, the hospitalist wrote the Rx for 10 weeks -- never realizing we'd have to start all over in November. Just glad it all worked out!

      Delete
  2. So glad and praying that Tom is getting better. You're a good guardian angel.

    Don't lift something heavier than a Bible? Well ... I hear that Moses is hoping the Ten Commandments are soon put on Kindle rather than stone tablets.

    Some old recipes are full of goodness, even with no meat. I long for the meals of when I was young. Like baked pasta in the oven or stuffed vine leaves, cabbage leaves, peppers or tomatoes or courgettes or ... I'm off to the kitchen. Bye!!!

    God bless you and Tom and the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Some of those old meals bring back wonderful memories. I don't know if it was the food itself, or those who enjoyed it with me. You're re-igniting my taste buds right now!

      Delete
  3. It warms my heart to know Tom is doing better, Myra. I will gladly exchange our weather, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH on several things. First we really enjoyed the visit. Sherry got here first, and when I started telling her what you said she smugly said, "I have already read Myra!" We both smiled at the lifting the Bible comment. Glad things worked out even though I know it DOES put one on EDGE and yep, age doesn't make it easier to handle that is for danged sure. You are probably right about the shoe=string budget and SWEET that most of us NEVER know that. God Love 'em.
    I really enjoy your blog and the comments.
    Sherry & jack also enjoying unseasonable warm weather on this trip to NC..... I will enjoy it while it is here. Gonna try to get rid of the leaves that fell after we departed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even want to think about the leaves! And to remember, Tom paid good $ to a lawncare team just before Thanksgiving so the place would look nice. Guess Mother Nature had other ideas........

      Delete
  5. Sorry your soup was bland, but that soup bowl sure is cute! I love the goat too, but yeah, it could be scary. Praying for Tom to continue to get better every day. Some Bibles are heavier than others, so I wonder which one the Dr. meant? LOL. They are all good. Recipes...maybe that cookbook was from the WWII rationing days...they had to ration meat and maybe they just kept on doing it. I always love to hear from you. Thank you for keeping writing here. I am not doing many cards this year, if any. I'm just running out of time and energy. But I wish everyone a wonderful Merry Christmas every time I see them. Does that count? Love you and yours. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the age of those cookbooks! It just feels nice to peruse them and read my mother's pretty hand-written notes.

      Of course a sincere 'Merry Christmas' counts! I can usually tell when an employee has been told just to say 'Happy Holidays.' I just respond, 'Merry Christmas' and you can see their faces light up.

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear that Tom is improving, Myra! Good advice to lift the Bible - God's Word can be the best medicine.
    Loved the photos of your son's family then and now. Family is always the best!
    Thanks for your Christmas card - it arrived today. Yours is on the way!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! Yes, I love that the hospital's not afraid to use the Bible in their verbiage.

      Delete
  7. I never thought of putting walnuts in soup :) I'll have to try it sometime!! Glad to hear Tom is doing good and can start driving!! Hopefully Tom won't remember the Bibles of the "olden days" that were super heavy when it comes to him and lifting :)

    Happy belated birthday to your grand#2 and happy early birthday to your son!! Amazing how they get older but we never do :)

    Hubby and me haven't exchanged Christmas gifts in years. We pretty much have the thought that if it is something we want/need we'll just get it for ourselves. Last year we did exchange bottles of wine with the caveat it had to be a new wine we hadn't tried before and why we picked that particular one :)

    I'm back to blogging and will be blogging here :)

    https://benchsnotebook.blogspot.com/

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wine exchange is a great idea, Betty! I'm really (really) looking forward to reading your posts.

      Delete
  8. Glad the meds came though just in time! Keeping y'all in my prayers! Those old cookbooks are a treasure chest, aren't they. Love & hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love looking through them -- at my mother and grandmother's notes. How times have changed!

      Delete
  9. Thank goodness the meds came! Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. want to put on Perry Como and listen to Christmas music and play in the kitchen..IF you EVER see those words on my blog, you will know it is a fake person OR that my mother came down from heaven and is writing on my blog..
    it is a good thing you are feeling mellow and I am thinking it is because things have calmed down a lot after all the past few months of health issues. yay for driving and picking up things. which Bible is the question, I have 7 Bibles and 2 of them would give a person a hernia trying to pick them up... love the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL on the Perry Como. It's like the mythical city of Brigadoon that only comes out once a year.
      I wasn't exactly 'in love' with the bowl -- but for $3 couldn't say no.

      Delete
  11. Only in the south, would they say "don't lift anything heavier than a Bible." :-) I'm so happy for y'all that he can start driving again!! I love seeing the pages of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad Tom is doing well and the infusion issue was resolved quickly. I actually watched a Perry Como special from 1974 tonight, with Peggy Fleming and the Carpenters. Oh my! What a sweet trove of memories. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good news you received the meds so quickly. It's unseasonably warm here too, temps will be back in the 80's tomorrow, drats!! Home made soup is the best, sorry your was bland....just happens sometimes. Perry Como, his voice is so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and Andy Williams, too! I used to love his annual Christmas show.

      Delete
  14. You know what...I'm getting to old for this stuff too. It's always something. But we are not going to give up, we are going to keep pushing forward and enjoy our lives!!!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love oyur post! Your grand girl is my birthdya twin! Aw........happiest of wishes to all the December babies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!