Saturday, December 18, 2021

Currently

 



G'evening friends,


Outside my window?

Goodness!  Our meteorologist just compared this week to a carton of Neopolitan ice cream -- something for everyone.  But I could do without the warmth, the rain.   While leaving this morning I told Tom, "The air feels weird."  Like it did the day before those monster tornados wrecked havok across the heartland.  



Feeling thankful ...

For having discovered this stuff out on Amazon.

They had this at the hospital, yet I've been unable to find it on our store shelves.
Seriously, I've never tasted any other salt-free seasoning this good!  Hoping Tom will be willing to give it a try -- and hopefully lower his BP in the process.



Speaking of food ...
I think we finalized our Christmas Eve dinner plans.
Tom found a spiral-sliced ham at Publix, while I chose fixings for a caprese salad and (drum-roll) ...
a bag of pistachio nuts.

Ya, we're nothing if not unorthodox.

Not for religious reasons, but I don't eat ham. The pistachios actually originate back to the 50's when my father's cousin would send us a box of those delicacies.  How our fingers turned red for days thereafter!   Even as late as the 90's, mother and I used to enjoy a Christmas eve cocktail and bowl of pistachios!



And speaking of Publix ...
Their employees always make me smile.  For instance, today's bagger who wished us a 'blessed day.'  Then, in response to my 'Merry Christmas' he said, 'Merry CHRIST-mas.'
How cool is that?




Color me happy ...
To have enjoyed another excursion to Main Street Vintage Market Place ... in search of something special.  'So excited to finally return to my ladies Bible study!  ...Rather, the Christmas brunch and 
'Dirty Santa' exchange.  I've never participated in one of those before!

Okay.  In full disclosure, I also bought my own 2021 Christmas present.  Nope, it wasn't this metal tree ...



or this Chia sofa  

... but this!
I've yearned for a rolltop desk for years. And at this stage in my life, I figure there's no time like the present!

Besides for a marked-down $89, I feared it wouldn't be available very long.   So besotted, I didn't even think to measure.  But thankfully, when I called they calmed my fears.



Finally ...
Aside from hits from the '60's and '70's, I'm probably the last soul to ask about music.

But something's been bothering me recently.
Leonard Cohen's, Hallelujah is a masterpiece, yes.

But, I don't 'get' the lyrics.
And why is this thought of as a Christmas song?  It's been playing on all the Christmas-theme stations.
I don't mean to be disrespectful.  But in all honesty, I'm puzzled.  I'd seriously like to hear your thoughts.






Who else is excited?

Hugs, Myra

   




35 comments:

  1. I think most people think of Hallelujah with the re-written Christmas Lyrics instead of Cohen's original ones. Not positive though.
    The desk is beautiful. I hope you will enjoy it for a long time to come.
    Christmas meal plans? Nope not here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't laugh ... I didn't realize there was a second, rewritten version. Now, I gotta see if Alexa knows the words!

      Delete
  2. Love the desk. Hubby had one years ago and before a move we parted with it. I agree with the other commenter. They changed the lyrics in Hallelujah to resemble a Christmas song https://genius.com/Cloverton-a-hallelujah-christmas-lyrics. But the original one, although it had eluded to some biblical things, it truly was not even a religious song. Beautiful song, but not even remotely Christmas or Christian in any way! I can't believe you made it to your age (not that you are old) and hadn't done a Dirty Santa exchange. They are cute to do :) My next post will be about Christmas. No excitement here though we do have a meal plan in the works (stuffed salmon, twice baked potatoes and a salad). I'll have to look for that seasoning on Amazon!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! Glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't see a religious bent. Your stuffed salmon sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  3. I am so excited about the new desk you bought. And envious too. How wonderful and well priced.

    That song is not religious at all. But it is made to sound so for commercial reasons; like everything else. I never played it on the radio.

    I shall be playing various songs this week on my Blog until Christmas. Look out for me singing ... Angelic or what? The priest was astounded. The choir amazed. And the congregation flabbergasted.

    God bless you always. A Merry and Blessed Christmas to you, Tom and your family.

    I like pistachios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The desk is presenting some challenges, but nothing I can't bully my way through. If you've not done so already, check out Jon's take on Halleluja (below); I think you'll like it.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful song. Thanx.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. That desk is an amazing find, Myra, and I'm glad you decided to go for it. Yes, the weather here has had that "too warm for December could we have tornadoes" feel to it. I think it's going to get colder though, thankfully.
    Although I've heard that song, I can't recall the lyrics enough to have an opinion one way or another. We've been listening to country/blue grass Christmas music, and that has been delightful.
    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Country, but don't recall ever having heard bluegrass Christmas. I'm going to see if Alexa doesn't know some ... thanks for the suggestion, Martha!

      Delete
  5. I always wondered about that song too...and then it dawned on me, there are many versions.

    Love, love the desk...and I shall not show my husband, grin. Oh man, that Chia sofa...lolololol. Gosh, what an awful thing. grin

    I will make lasanga for Christmas Day and hubby said we are not going to change anything, he said, and I quote, "Liam wouldn't want us too." I am not quite sure how I will handle next weekend. One day at a time...one day at a time...

    I love ham and have a spiral one in the fridge...smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it 'dawned' on you a lot sooner than me! I never thought about different versions. Love your husband's quote!!!

      Delete
  6. yay for the rolltop self gift, that is what we all should do, money wasted on things we will never use. i say buy what you want. i like choosing my own gift. bob chose an airplane. i chose nothing because i have been buying off A anything I want all year. at first i thought what the heck is a Chia sofa, then realized it does look like a Chia plant. to funny. i meant to buy a spiral cut ham for Christmas week and forgot. hope they have one closer to end of week. I have a crockpot on with beef stew, taters and carrots. will have easy heat up for several days while we do the recoup from the new knee. we have until 2020 always eaten out for Christmas, either on Christmas eve or day. I wish i could find a decent tasting smoked turkey already cooked. ham is so not healthy, we both love it, proabaly because it is full of salt. neither of us like spices, so this would not work for us. besides now i can't eat any of the ingredients in it, i did look and our walmart has it for 11.23 a 2 oz bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll trade our ham for some of your stew! That's right up my alley! Glad to hear Bob's going back to RC; Tom, on the other hand, is talking about getting rid of all of his.

      Delete
  7. I've been on a salt free diet for months now and enjoy using Mrs Dash. They offer many different varieties and it works for me. It doe help with blood pressure. I'm on medication for it, but mine has come down. It took awhile not to salt and pepper everything, but I've grown used to it now. I love the desk. That was a very good buy, glad you didn't past by. It will bring you many hours of enjoyment. The handles on the drawers remind me of the ones on my desk, that I've had since I was 9 years old and it's still being used today. They don't make things to hold up like they used to do. I figure it will outlast me. We had the best spirit sliced ham at my daughters house yesterday and I enjoyed a slice on a slider for an appetizer. It's one of my favorite meats and traditional to have at Christmas here. So glad all is going well there, it's looking like a Merry Christmas for all !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat, your still having your childhood desk! I agree, what's being manufactured today has little to know 'staying power.'

      Delete
  8. I wanted to write this comment last night, but let's just say things were beyond control.

    Cohen's "Hallelujah" is one of my favorites, but it's definitely not a Christmas song nor a Christian song. Perhaps some idiots at the Xmas-theme stations got it confused with Handel's "Messiah"....

    The lyrics to Cohen's song had long puzzled me, too. I heard that he had enormous difficulty writing suitable lyrics and rewrote it over eighty times.

    Basically, "Hallelujah" is a bitter lament about love - lost love, broken love, betrayal, mourning, guilt, and penance. Bible imagery is a vehicle for his dark view of love. King David's seduction of Bathsheba (seduction? She was more than willing....)- - Delilah's betrayal of Samson...

    The lyrics can have a lot of different meanings (which I can strongly relate to)
    Hopefully I haven't been too long-winded.

    My absolute favorite renditions of "Hallelujah" are by KD Lang and the late Jeff Buckley - who died far too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the rolltop desk and the price was really a bargain. I would have paid two or three times more for it.

      Delete
    2. I'm so excited to read this information about the song, Jon! My confusion's beginning to wane ...
      BTW, you're never too long-winded.

      Delete
  9. The roll top desk $89?? Wow - what a deal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that desk is a steal of a deal!! Congratulations! And that chia sofa...well, what can I say? It's a chia pet you can sit on...Ok, we will have a version of ham for our Christmas dinner. My grandmother used to make a "hamloaf" with her leftover ham after Christmas. Well, my DIL loved the recipe so much, she has adapted it with adding some sausage to it and she will actually make this for us for Christmas dinner instead of the original ham. It's very tasty with its brown sugar/mustard/vinegar glaze baked on top. We love it and so that is what it will be for us. A couple of years we did lasagna, and that was a hit too, but the hamloaf and scalloped potatoes will be our treat this year. Never had a pistachio in my life. Not sure why. Just never appealed to me, unless it is in that green pistachio pudding that people make sometimes at potluck dinners... I am no expert on the Hallelujah song...but I agree, it isn't a Christmas song, at least not the original version. The music is pretty, however, and if they have a Christmas version, that's okay with me. Of course I am a Handel's Messiah fan, all of it, but especially the Christmas portion and the Hallelujah Chorus. We play that every year at Christmas at some time or another. Loved your picture at the top. Very elegant. Have a wonderful Christmas my dear friend. Yes, it is warm here too. Strange...but NOT global warming...just a La Nina year. It will change in good time. And then we will wish it was warm again. Take care and God bless you all. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE Handel's Messiah, the Halelujah Chorus. Always reminds me how much my sweet mother loved it. Your DIL's tweek on the hamloaf sounds intriguing. I love sausage! Would you consider sharing her recipe sometime on the blog?

      Delete
  11. Like just about everyone else has said, you would have been crazy to not have bought the desk. I'm sure it will get daily use.

    I'd like to think that the weather in my area has finally decided to be winter-like, but then someone pointed out it will be in the mid 50s on Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds perfect! We were 53* today, but it's supposed to be back in the 70's soon. (*Frowny face*)

      Delete
  12. First, I love the desk. Glad you got it. Yeah great the measurements worked, that has at times GOT me! (I'm sure it will fit, thingee)
    Halleluiah? I honestly believe that is the first time I let that song play through, I enjoyed the performance, missed most of the words, but was wondering about a Christmas theme. I appreciate Victor and Jon's comments. Makes sense...
    Love ya,
    Sherry & jack trying to relax in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Leonard Cohen's, Hallelujah is a masterpiece, yes.
    And why is this thought of as a Christmas song?" Myra, I'm with you on that subject and also wonder why "Raindrops on Roses" is a Christmas song now! I ask that question out loud every time I hear it played on a all-holiday station. I LOVE your new desk and can't believe the price you got it for! Wow. Please show it how it looks when it is delivered!! Awesome! Love ya. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, that. I think Julie Andrews and the VonTrapp kids cemented it's fame forever more. But still ...
      Things that make you go, hmmmm!

      Delete
  14. I love your new desk. So pretty.

    I feel in no way that this is a Christmas song. And when I really read the words, I don't even really understand what it's about. It is beautiful music though and I've actually heard a different version with different words that make more sense to me. But I still don't see it as a Christmas song.

    Hallelujah
    Kelley Mooney

    A crown of thorns placed on His head
    He knew that He would soon be dead
    He said, "Did you forget me, Father did you?"
    They nailed Him to a wooden cross
    Soon all the world would feel the loss
    Of Christ the King before His Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    He hung His head and prepared to die
    Then lifted His face up to the sky
    Said, "I am coming home now Father, to you"
    A reed which held His final sip
    Was gently lifted to his lips
    He drank His last and gave His soul to glory
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    The soldier who had used his sword
    To pierce the body of our Lord
    Said, "Truly, this was Jesus Christ our Savior"
    He looked with fear upon his sword
    Then turned to face his Christ and Lord
    Fell to his knees crying Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Took from his head the thorny crown
    And wrapped him in a linen gown
    Then laid him down to rest inside the tomb
    The holes in his hands, his feet and side
    Now in our hearts we know he died
    To save us from ourselves, oh Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Three days went by, again they came
    To move the stone, to bless the slain
    With oil and spice anointing Hallelujah
    But as they went to move the stone
    They saw that they were not alone
    For Jesus Christ has risen, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you for doing this research and sharing with me, Cathy!

      Delete
  15. Google searched a little more and found a Christmas version that has really nice words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember the red fingers! I like buying them shelled now. Actually I just read that they help with sleep if you eat some before bed. I'm not a big fan of ham either. That was very cool what the Publix person said. The desk is beautiful. Mark has one in his office. So happy for you. Excited for Christmas...YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby! That's really good to know about pistacios being a sleep aid.

      Delete
  17. I LOVE the desk! Uncle LOuie had one, sits ustairs int he empty house my sister inherited with everything in it. It will rot until she is no longer there as her kids have said countless times, everything will go to the thirft store where she got it! Sad but true! I have always wanted one and you found a great bargain. We often eat pistachios and nuts.com had a sale recently that was terrific and of course AVery & I had to buy some. YUM the natural ones are so funny from the fingertips we had that were red when we were younger. It is good to see you here. It has been a year filled with too much loss. If one more dope says, was it (you know) fill in the blank I will scream! I think I will recap my losses this 2021 year. It was certainly a harder year for us and God filled us with many blessings. Take care and god to see you both looking "T"errific! You are blessed and so loved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!