But, before I do ...
Congratulations to Cathy at Tales of the TCKK Family!
Her name was drawn to receive this holiday print from the good folks at Zen to Zany.
Cathy, I might have your address from last year's Christmas cards. Just to be sure, would you e-mail it to me again? (myra.guca@gmail.com) Thanks!
🤶
Speaking of cards ....
I wasn't going to send any.
Then I was.
Some traditions are harder than others to kick to the curb.
Then I was.
Some traditions are harder than others to kick to the curb.
What to leave in, what to take out?
There's distant, obligatory names I wouldn't recognize if they rang my doorbell. Then there's the 95-year-old friend of my parents who, upon receiving my card last year, picked up the phone. Mind you, I've not spoken to MJ since 1968. Evidently she thought I'd be interested in her take on the nation's political climate; in particular my candidate.
(Daddy, I know you were spinning. LOL)
🤶
I wonder what my parents would make of this old world.
Today marks the 40th anniversary of my first Worst Day. Not 3 months after retirement, my father passed suddenly.
It remains a day of unresolved sadness, reflection.
Sure, I've experienced more 'worst days.' It's all part of the human experience.
I know you, dear friends, need no reminding. But let's all share -- through our words and our actions -- awareness of others who are facing heartbreak this season.
🤶
Back to daddy.
Tho' he never came from means (quite the opposite!), he took tremendous pleasure in squeezing the daylights out of the life he was given. Quality v. quantity. Besides my mother and son, his greatest loves were world travel, a good cigar, dark beer ... or the occasional rye. While on vacation, he'd get such a kick out of serving refreshments from his little bar suitcase.
"It's kanapra time!" (Not sure I'm spelling that correctly -- or if it's even a word!)
Anyway. Following his funeral, back at the house his brothers did the honors -- much to the surprise of my in-laws. (Soto whisper) "Did you see that minister making alcoholic drinks?"
We were raised in the Christan faith, but I could totally visualize him singing along with Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof.
Be happy! Be healthy! Long life!
And if our good fortune never comes,
here's to whatever comes.
Drink l'chaim, to life!
Pretty good advice if you ask me.
Have a great week, y'all! 'Til next time ...
Hugs, Myra

that first photo of the cards, looks like what my parents used to get. with him the pastor of the church, every member and all their relatives sent cards to the Pastor and his family. Mother kept every card she ever received, boxes of cards were kept and she used them in Bible school and sunday school, cutting them up to make other cards with the kids.. I received very few because i am not a card sender. Daddy and I used to make fun of mother for being so excited every time a card came. i regret some of the things i said to her back then. about the alcoholics suitcase. LOL... raised Southern Baptist we were totoallers all my life. when I married bob he soon became a non drinker due to my nagging.
ReplyDeleteabout 20 years ago,his brother and SIL came to visit us here in this house. John said to Bob, do you have anything to drink? bob said yes, we have iced tea or diet 7up and water. John said that's not a drink, got up went to his car and came back with the 'alcoholics' suit case.
he and his wife had several drinks, while I sat stunned at how rude it was to bring their on alcohol, i may have said after they left,
what, they can't go 2 hours without a drink? they are for sure alcoholics. there may have been other discussions, I am sure there were.
I still think it was rude...
these days i am more tolerate than I was then. maybe. love the photo of your dad.. and i like the way you said your 1st worst day, it is so true, the worst days keep coming.
Giggling about the 'alcoholic suitcase.' I didn't mean it to sound like were all-the-time drinkers. Wow, that is kind of rude - Bob's brother and his wife, I mean. Or sad, I can't decide which.
DeleteSo sorry for your loss of your father. I've had some of those worst days too. You have some great memories of him for sure! He had a love for life and lived it too. I agree, lets give a cheer to living life to the fullest !
ReplyDeleteYes, many of us have unsolicited, indellible memories. While we're here, let's dance.
DeleteI do like to send cards at Christmas, and need to get up off my hindquarters and get them addressed and mailed.
ReplyDeleteMine are coming together ... slowly but surely.
DeleteMyra losing our parents is so hard and what I wouldn't give for just one more Saturday evening with us altogether at their house. But then again, I would not want them to have to come back and see the things that are going on in our world currently.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to have won that print. It is beautiful. I don't even know how to express my true thanks. I emailed my address. Again thank you!!
Exactly! Watching the news, I'm pretty sure my mother would cry; daddy would be muttering something about all the male offspring of female dogs. (lol)
DeleteThere is no way to ever fully "recover" from the loss of a beloved parent. The avalanche of emotions can be completely overwhelming. Your father was a treasure and undoubtedly provided many warm memories.
ReplyDeleteIronically, tomorrow (Dec 7) marks the 12th year since my mother's death. I never got over it.
Thinking of you in the coming 24 hours.
DeleteThat is a wonderful tribute to your Father, Mevely. I am certain that your parents love you very much and are very proud of you. We never met in person but you come across as a very kind and generous person from your writings.
ReplyDeleteIt is good to have memories of our loved ones departed and we do honour them just by remembering them and telling others about them.
I pray for you and all your family. God bless y'all !!!
Thank you so much, Victor. As long as I have breath, I'll continue to tell their stories.
DeleteThere are so many things I love about this post. First, I love the picture of Christmas cards - were those boards/spindles to the ceiling? Second, you are right - I would have loved your daddy!! I'm actually chuckling out loud about "the minister making alcoholic drinks" hahaha!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Those were actually supports along the staircase to the second story. Girl, I was so surprised the first time I took Holy Communion in a non-Lutheran church and discovered the little cup contained not wine, but grape juice.
Delete"First worst day...." Amen to that.
ReplyDeleteLike Sandra observed, they keep coming.
DeleteWhat a sweet tribute to your daddy. He sounds like a wonderful man and character. Me thinks you take after him in many ways. It's good you have such good memories of your times together, but I know it was awful hard to lose him so soon. I guess there's never a good time to say goodbye to our dear loved ones, however. Back to the cards...I don't think I'm going to send many this year. I intend to call people who I don't talk to all year instead and get caught up with them, since when I send Christmas cards/letters, I tell them all about us, but they rarely write letters, just sign a card, and that's it, and I have no clue what they've been doing or how they are. So, like my daddy loved to do, I'm going to make some phone calls and find out just how they are. That's my plan, and I hope I can make it work. I really can't do much handwriting on cards and envelopes like that this year...so I'd rather concentrate on the ones I rarely hear from. We'll see how it goes. Have a wonderful rest of your week. (((Hugs)))
ReplyDeleteThat's a great gesture, Pam! Heartfelt. I hope you'll let us know how your conversations transpired!
DeleteMemories light the corners of our minds! Good ones and not so good ones. I enjoyed your post, Myra! To life, indeed!! xo
ReplyDeleteI love how you quote from my most favorite song, Terri! Cheers!
DeleteNo matter how long our parents have been absent from this earth, we never forget them, Myra. Christmas is bittersweet for me because that day marks my father's birthday, and mom's loss is still fresh and raw in my heart as this will be our first Christmas without her. May God see you through all your days with good and lasting memories of those you've loved!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
May God bless us, everyone! {{{HUGS}}}
DeleteJust wanted to let you know I do not have an immersion blender, but I use only one of the beaters on my regular electric hand mixer and it works just as well. This is a trick I learned from one of my DIL's.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea! Thank you for sharing this, Ma!
DeleteI often wonder (although I think I know) what my daddy would think of the world today, especially here in the USA. I enjoyed reading your nice words about your dad, 21 years and I still miss mine everyday.
ReplyDelete🤗Thank you, Mary!
DeleteI am always totally captivated by your tales of your parents and early life...and I will continue to urge you to write it all down and publish!
ReplyDelete😍 Thanks for saying that!
DeleteI received the most beautiful Christmas card from you. Thank you for the blessing. Have a lovely day.
ReplyDeletewww.rsrue.blogspot.com
😘
DeleteGrinning...as much as a hard time I am having right now...you and many others made me smile...
ReplyDeleteThat's what we're here for!
DeleteCongrats Cathy!! Obviously some people will get cards regardless of us getting one in return but I do check off each year who sent a card and will remove some after awhile. When you speak of your father passing away shortly after his retirement it reminds me of our lawn man. He happened to talk to Mark shortly after he retired and he started pointing out all the people's lawn he cuts in our area saying "that one died right after he retired and named several other." Not what you want to hear!!!
ReplyDeleteGod Bless You. My mom passed away 39 years ago. Where does the time go???
Beautiful tribute to your dad. My uncle Tom and AUntie Jo (moms baby sister) traveled weith a portable liqouor cabient. I was so fascinated as a kid. COngrats to Cathy! WOo Hoo! WInner Winner! I love seeing you here. Take care.
ReplyDelete