Thursday, November 4, 2021

Today

 


G'morning, all!  How the heck are you?

Ours hasn't been an exciting week, but I'm super thankful my Favorite Month has finally arrived.


Tom seems to be doing better every day!  In fact, out of the blue Sunday afternoon he took it upon himself to repair the other half of my love seat/recliner.  




Chuckling.   For three years, I've been saying we should take day trips and acquaint ourselves with this place we call home.   Unfortunately, my 'fixin' to list' outweighs reality -- but we did have a chance to visit Alex City Monday morning.  I wasn't wild about the pulmonologist, but Tom seemed to like him, so there's that.


What floated my boat was the hour-long drive through narrow, winding back roads:   Low-slung brick-and-mortars ... neat manufactured homes ...  pretty buttercup clapboards with tidy white awnings ... even those tired dwellings seemingly occupied since the Eisenhower administration.  All situated on so much green.   Fences?  Tom even remarked of one, "That fence probably costs more than our house."

  

Curious.  Even as recent as a decade ago, I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow over those vistas.  Is it just me, or have you noticed your priorities changing in different seasons of your life?


Back home, Tom announced he'd a craving for fried chicken.  Cracker Barrel's not my favorite, but I'm all about what makes the boy happy.   And deliver they did!  His plate was piled like a doting grandma might have done.    I was reluctant, believing there was nothing 'keto' friendly on the menu, but no.  The strip steak and broccoli was delicious!

One of these days I'm going to throw caution to the wind and fill my shopping cart with flavors from my childhood.  



For the first time in more than a year, we gathered our masks and visited a nearby estate sale.  Not for the first time, I was left scratching my head over what people choose to surround themselves with.   This home, in particular, was 4,000-some square feet of elaboratly-carved Korean chests, oriental rugs and hundreds no, thousands of tchotchkes ... wee dolls in native attire lining the walls.  Kind of creepy, really.  Another shopper remarked to no-one in particular, "What do you suppose happens to all these things that don't sell?"   So glad I've begun ridding myself of stuff that really has no meaning, you know?   


All wasn't in vain.  Tom scored a Coleman lantern, brand-new fishing reel and (another) plier.  

I found a like-new pair of Air Nikes for $4.


... and weather permitting, finally had occasion to wear my new favorite knit top.  (No, those aren't stains -- I forgot to clean the mirror. LOL)




Okay, there's more to come, but this is already getting too long.
Before signing off, I've a prayer request:
'Just found out yesterday afternoon my BF Debbie has been diagnosed with breast cancer.  She still has to have an MRI before seeing the surgeon -- lots of unknown at this point.  But anyone who's been touched by the 'C' word understands the shock and the fear.

Thanks ... you guys are the best!

Talk soon!
Hugs, Myra

 

 

 

  


 


 


 

30 comments:

  1. First of all, I'll be praying for your friend. The c word is very scary and we've had to deal with that here too. I haven't been to an estate sale in a long time, but they are fun to browse through. You never know what you might find. You got a real good buy on those shoes. November is the beginning of the holiday season so I'm hoping for lots of family celebrations this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the header graphic you chose, ain't it the truth. I loved going with you on the winding road, we too love it and what Tom said is so true about some fences, the cost it thru the roof, but there are some eye catchers out there.
    There have been times I regretted not adding a little $$ to a fence to ensure longer life.
    Enjoyed the visit, and we too wonder what happens to the 'left overs!'
    Glad to see Tom improving enough to be on his knees ;-) . Gotta start somewhere to get back in shape for the sax.
    Thanks for the invite on the trip,
    Sherry & jack awaiting the results of the tests ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sure appreciate y'all coming along for the ride! Still praying!

      Delete
  3. Praying and praying again for you and Tom and for your friend Debbie.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be in prayer for you all.

    Fences can cost a fortune, depending. Estate sales can be so much fun. I asked about they do with the left overs. The agent said they will take them to another estate sale they have for the next week. I am so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad Tom is doing better and that he is up to eating friend chicken and fixing things. I understand breast cancer and if she can take one day at a time and breathe - it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad all is going well there and with Tom. Yes, my priorities have changed over the course of my life. I think as we get older we just come to realize what REALLY matters over all the stuff we used to think mattered. Sweet deals at the sale! I went to one once that among other things had over 1000 little white glass bottles painted with Japanese designs. They were for saki, I was told. What would you need that many for? And the designs were all different, but only marginally so. Unless you really looked, you didn't notice. Love that shirt and you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, but if it brings them joy ...
      Thanks for mentioning the blouse. I forgot to say, it was an estate sale find, too!

      Delete
  7. Glad he is feeling better and he likes the doctor. Also that he worked on your recliner. Sounds like a lovely drive. Our Cracker Barrel is not near to us at all but I went a few times with my dad in Florida. I love their gift and candy shop. That's a cute top! Prayers for your friend Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I enjoy their gift shop better than the food! Like Stucky's, remember?

      Delete
  8. Prayers for Debbie and do please keep us posted. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit here and love your new top! How is that little town down the road doing now that Home Town has left? I keep forgetting to ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and we keep forgetting to take the ride! I THINK they're still experiencing lots of tourist traffic. Neither of us cared for what they did to Coaches Corner patio, and aren't so anxious to go back.

      Delete
  9. Prayers for Debbie, and I'm so glad Tom is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Myra, I will certainly put Debbie on my prayer list, and I'm delighted that Tom is improving every day. He's on my list, too!
    It's been ages since I ate at Cracker Barrel and now you've made me crave it again - lol! Since I'm still on a soft food diet, it will be a while before I can indulge.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will pray for Debbie, it was so good to meet you and Debbie when you were here. so sorry to hear this. Beau news is bad, sent email.
    Love the sweater.. and I am constantly amazed at what people collect, but that is because I am not a collector. i have twice in my life, but like you said, my taste changed and I did not like owls anymore or salt shakers or hurricane lamps.. i am a totaly different person than I was when young, when med, when married bob at age 40, seems each 20 years or so I morph into something else. and each time I dump what i know longer want...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW you'd get was I was trying to put down. (*grin*) All the time I'm telling Tom, "I don't think I'd have liked you so much when I was younger."

      Delete
  12. Oh How different I am than I was when I was younger. I have little need of any new or new to me stuff, and had to create a mental list to start purging things I no longer need. Except dishes! I love tableware and use all the different sets at different times.
    I will put your friend on the list I keep by my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, both my 'want' and 'need' lists are slim. I'd much rather have experiences than 'things.'

      Delete
  13. Praying for your friend Debbie now. Praying it won't be as bad as it could be, and that God is already taking care of things for her. Oh, it's been a long time since we went to an estate sale. We used to do that a lot in Ohio, where they had auctions. We ended up with a LOT of stuff we really didn't need, but it was such fun. I know better now and stay away from those places. I should have an estate sale NOW, before we die, to lighten our load, but I don't want to see the looks on their faces as they wonder what we wanted with this or that. LOL. I love your neat knit top. Look so comfy and stylish! You are just the right size to wear something like that. I'm having a difficult time figuring out WHAT is right for me anymore. Somehow I gained weight that refuses to go away and all I want are stretchy waist pants and comfy over shirts. Nothing too fitting for me anymore. Comfort is the word. Glad Tom is starting to feel better. That is great news. Glad you had a good week. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Hey, I'm all about loose and comfy, too. I used to feel uneasy (creeped out) going to estate sales, but it didn't take long to get over it. Ha. (That top was only $2!)

      Delete
  14. Keeping your bf in prayer. As a breast cancer and double mastectomy survivor, I can understand what she is going through.

    I am having a very difficult time right now with what is going on etc...I will be one of the millions loosing their job come Jan. 4. I better leave it at that...anyways...hope you have a beautiful Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for understanding. Still praying for an 11th hour miracle!

      Delete
  15. Your take on Cracker Barrell is similar to our family. My daughter "makes mom happy" but to our surprise, she ends up liking her meal, too. Can't even get my Tom there but once in a while! Love the top! So cute. Praying now for Debbie! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling (my) Tom, it's a wonder those travelers who stop at CB aren't at risk for falling in a carb coma behind the wheel. TYSM for the prayers!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!