Welcome back to Tuesday 4, kept in memory of Toni Taddeo. This week, let's talk about November .....
Besides Thanksgiving, is there anything about November you like/dislike?
What's there not to love about my favorite month?! The only thing I'd add to this header (above) is the heady feeling of anticipation. If wishes were horses! ..... I'd give back July ask for a double helping of November.
How is November weather where you live? Does it suit you?
It's perfect! Sure, I could go for cooler temps (we're vascillating between highs anywhere from the 50's to 70's), and the the leaves aren't as spectacular as they've been in previous years. But it's all good.
When do you plan for Thanksgiving? Eat home or out? Menu?
I've a black-belt in planning! Usually un-realized, but that's half the enjoyment.
Given Tom's health challenges, I announced we were going to let Publix do the cooking and extended invites to the kids and theirs.
Long-time friends/readers may remember my yakking about Thanksgivings of yore. A non-event. Living thousands away from family, my parents both worked -- and no-one liked turkey. Some of my father's sayings: "Your mother works very hard and I'm not asking her to cook on her day off." Or, "This year I think I'm going to be thankful for _____ (steak, lobster, fill in the blank).
If he was lucky to get a 4-day weekend, we'd travel to Colorado. At any rate, the venue must allow for ordering off their regular menu. Mother's happy voice, "Look, real butter!"
Given my druthers? I'd still rather go out to Longhorn Steakhouse. Nope, I've never prepared a turkey -- and at this age I'm not interested in learning how. We've learned to compromise. And there's lots to be said for cold turkey sandwiches with extra mayo on rye. How Tom loves his day-after dressing!
When do you begin your decor and plans for Christmas? It 'officially' begins after Thanksgiving and the Macy's Parade when Santa arrives at the end.
Crossing my fingers Tom feels up to retrieving our tree from the attic Thanksgiving afternoon. Those pull-down stairs aren't in the greatest condition. I really should just do the deed while he stands with cell phone to call 911. (LOL)
Besides a flocked creature (circa 1981), this is the first tree I've ever really, truly loved.
It's beginning to feel a lot like ....
(Your turn!)
Hugs, Myra



Although I've fixed a lot of Thanksgiving dinners, my children have now taken over the holidays.Now I only have to fix a side dish to share. Thankfully they all are good cooks and serve up a delicious homemade dinner. And they always send leftovers home with me. It's beginning to look a lot like the Holidays are coming. They say we could see snow this weekend!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a win-win situation, Ma. What a blessing to be included in your childrens' holidays!
Deletefirst let me say this, do not either of you get the tree down, ask someone from church or pastor janet to come get it down. if he harms his back it will ruin the holiday, ask for help give someone a chance to do a good deed.
ReplyDeleteI do the same thing, Thanksgiving day or the day after I put up Christmas, I want a tree that I truly love. maybe this year... one for the nook. I too have never cooked a turkey and never will.
our first TG in 1985, bob said are you cooking a turkey? nope, never have and never will. He said well buy one and I will figure it out. He cooked a turkey from 1985 untill 2008. our kids all moved away in 2006 and it was just us, for 2 years he did it and i complained because i was cleaning up his mess and spending hours doing the rest of dinner and in 2009 we started eating out on TG day, 3 different buffets.. I may try Publix but with just the two of us and me unable to eat anything but the turkey might not be the best. thanks for the idea. i like cold turkey more than hot.. my mother was the holiday queen, she cooked for days and days before TG, and there was always just the 4 of us. we ate it for a week. the worst part is I was the clean up girl, and even after I married at 19, we always ate with mother and i and my brothers wife were the clean up girls...
Good point! I/we hate asking others for favors, but that may be the way to go. Thanks for letting me know, I'm not a lone ranger in the kitchen!
DeleteI love November even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving or even Christmas much. We used to love roasted turkeys but it's been years since I cooked one. What do I love about November? Fallen leaves and Indian summer weather..sunny and not too hot, not too cold. ❤️
ReplyDeleteYesss! Nowadays, it's easier to visit the deli and save the mess. What are Kaitlin and Torben doing?
DeleteHmmm, Never cooked a turkey? Well, I can't say you've missed much, except the mess and cleanup! LOL. I am so thankful my sweet DIL doesn't mind cooking the turkey at her house and they bring it over here (just a mile). That frees up my oven for all the other stuff. Publix does a good job, but remember, you will still have to heat it all up. You have to pick it up the day before. My MIL used to do that. It was a good idea for her small kitchen and we were traveling so couldn't be there to help ahead of time. It is a lot of work, especially if you don't have a crowd to help out. I like to invite people to bring all the side dishes so I can stick to the basics. But this year it may just be our own little family, and we may just limit all those side dishes to the bare necessities. Except hubby keeps mentioning all the things he's looking forward to...pies, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, giblet gravy, yeah, there's no scaling down in sight at this house...LOL. Happy November!!! I hope your hubby stays well and yes, what MadSnapper said, get someone else to get that tree down out of the attic!!!
ReplyDeleteNot that she ever did it, but I remember my mother commenting how long it took (others) to prepare a holiday meal, then how quickly it all disappeared -- leaving another long period of clean-up. I like your idea of everyone contributing.
DeleteI'm hoping that you are able to get that tree down. Isn't there someone who can do that for you? Please be careful. Enjoyed reading your answers. I think turkey is as simple as can be, it's the rest of the meal that takes a lot of effort and time!
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping Granddaughter #1 and her 6'8" husband will come down -- and do the honors while they're here.
DeleteNovember is a calm, lovely month - which, I suppose, prepares us for the upcoming onslaught of the holiday season.
ReplyDeleteHere in the TN boonies the first few Nov. days were freezing. Today the temp soared to an unexpected 70, and the cold is predicted to return in a few days.
As for Thanksgiving, my parents were never keen on holidays - which was probably a good thing, since my father's violence inevitably ruined them. I have few fond holiday memories.
As for the feast - I've cooked more turkeys than I care to remember. In recent years I prefer to get smoked turkeys. The only effort required is to heat them and they taste great.
Now that I live entirely alone, I really don't care what I eat. This year I'm thinking of getting a ham with sweet potatoes. And pumpkin pie.
I hope Tom can retrieve your tree on time!
Taking a page from my late father, I believe Thanksgiving should be all about giving thanks for what sounds good -- whether it be ham or PB&J!
DeleteThanksgiving was loud and lively when I was growing up and I miss it! I still prefer a table full of friends and family and love cooking Thanksgiving dinner... including a 20 lb. turkey. Not this year, though. But there will be turkey and I will probably do a small breast just for me to call my "leftovers". Publix will do you proud!! xo
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful memories, Terri! Yours sounds like a Norman Rockwell painting. While I can't relate, I'll admit to being a tidge envious.
DeleteWe have no idea about Thanksgiving this year. There are times I wish I were a planner but.....
ReplyDeleteI do like the left overs from thanksgiving which is usually turkey. I cannot get enough Turkey like at Easter I can't get enough boiled and deviled eggs. LOL
BUT I do like November, I am trying to decide if I have a favorite month. I liked that line about swapping one month for a double shot at November, good one.
As always loved it, 'specially Ole' Tom chowing down on dressing.
Love from Florida
Sherry & jack.
Ha! That's always been Tom's 'day-after' traditional breakfast. Let me know if you decide on a favorite month! But don't let me anywhere near those eggs -- I'll fight you for the last one!
DeleteCooking a turkey and the dinner is an many hour event, lol. It's nice if someone else can do for you though some people really enjoy preparing all the holiday meals. Enjoy whatever you are having and stay safe retrieving the Christmas tree!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! 😋
DeleteMy mother lived to be 89 without ever learning how to cook a turkey. First her mother cooked them, and then I did so she never had to learn. Which of us was smarter, the one's who did it or the one who feigned ignorance?
ReplyDeleteHa, good point! I'm fortunate that's Tom's the only one in our family who actually likes turkey.
DeleteI liked your answers, Mevely, and Autumn sure looks nice with the leaves turning colour. Here it is getting very cold and damp.
ReplyDeleteTV adverts already declare it's Christmas and shops are encouraging early bargains.
Sadly, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK.
God bless you and your family.
Those pesky advertisements are everywhere here, as well. I get where they're coming from, but it's still sad, their missing the whole point.
DeletePlease read my post
ReplyDeleteWe are looking forward to Thanksgiving so much, Myra, as we are driving up to NC to be with the kids. We will most likely have chicken instead of turkey, or perhaps, a ham. I expect Danny will do most of the cooking, but Virginia has already told him on no uncertain terms that she'd like to help.
ReplyDeleteHave a great Thanksgiving!
What a wonderful gesture on Virgina's part! I can't wait to see the images you'll capture!
DeleteWait, whattttttttttt....you never cooked a turkey? ((grinning, I know plenty of folks who have never either)). Thanks for the many smiles...my husband has to drag the items up from the basement, I don't know what is worse; the attic or the basement, LOL.
ReplyDelete😁
DeleteI love November, too. I LOVE a traditonal Thanksgiving meal and I am like Tom - my favorite part of the meal is the dressing. My husband would argue that my favorite is the gravy! hahaha!
ReplyDeleteYum ... mine, too!
DeleteThank you.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your answers. We always go to my inlaws for the main meal of holidays. My MIL loves to host it. I do miss it sometimes.
ReplyDelete