Just killing a few minutes before heading to my son's place. Visions of brisket and wings going 'round in my head!
A popular Saturday meme asked bloggers to share a little-known factoid about one of our Nation's Presidents. While I'm not participating, it did ring a bell.
Back in 2012 I reviewed Ronald Kessler's book, "In the President's Secret Service." (https://mevely317.blogspot.com/2012/11/in-presidents-secret-service.html)
The book's reviews were mixed. (Everyone's a critic!) Despite it not containing so many salacious details, I found it eye-opening. The former agents' candor surprising.
You see, ever since I watched Kevin Kostner in "The Bodyguard" I've been fascinated with those charged to protect the President and his family. While the rest of the free world's attention is fixed on him or the First Lady, I'm over here straining to identify those agents. So yes, I'd recommend it.
Since we watched Jenna weigh herself on national television yesterday, here's a cute excerpt about her grandfather:
When Bush—code-named Timberwolf—was vice
president, agent William Albracht was on the midnight shift at the vice
president's residence.
While agents refer to the President's Protective Detail
as the Show, they call the Vice President's Protective Detail the Little Show
with Free Parking. That's because, unlike the White House, the vice president's
residence provides parking for agents.
Albracht was new to the post, and Agent Dowling filled
him in.
'Well, Bill, every day the stewards bake the cookies, and
that is their job, and that is their responsibility,' Dowling told him. 'And
then our responsibility on midnights is to find those cookies or those left
from the previous day and eat as many of them as possible.'
Assigned to the basement post around 3 a.m., Albracht was
getting hungry.
'We never had permission to take food from the kitchen,
but sometimes you get very hungry on midnights,' said Albracht.
'I walked into the kitchen that was located in the
basement and opened up the refrigerator. I'm hoping that there are some
leftover snacks from that day's reception, It was slim pickin's. All of a
sudden, there's a voice over my shoulder.'
"Hey, anything good in there to
eat?'" the man asked.
'No, looks like they cleaned it out,' Albracht said.
'I turned around to see George Bush off my right
shoulder,' Albracht said.
'After I get over the shock of who it was, Bush says,
"Hey, I was really hoping there would be something to eat." And I
said, "Well, sir, every day the stewards bake cookies, but every night they
hide them from us."
'With a wink of his eye he says, "Let's find
'em." So we tore the kitchen apart, and sure enough we did find them. He
took a stack of chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk and went back up to
bed, and I took a stack and a glass of milk and went back to the basement
post.'
Oops, Tom's standing with keys in his hand. TTFN ... keep safe!
Hugs, Myra


love this, loved the bodyguard every time i watched it, love clint eastwoood in a the line of fire, the one with Denzel washington, safe house, there are more but you get the picture. cute story about bush. have fun
ReplyDeleteThanks! I've not seen those other films -- but they're on my list.
DeleteWhat a cool story! I love it. I can just imagine Pres. Bush (sr) doing that. Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope you are enjoying that brisket and those wings right about now. Sounds yummy.
ReplyDeleteMe, too! (Imagining, that is.) Per the book, he and Barbara were two of the most liked by the SS.
DeleteVery interesting!
ReplyDeleteYes. There's lots of personal insights -- both good and UGLY.
DeleteWhat a fun story! Enjoy that BBQ Myra and have a happy 4th. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Martha! Happy Indpendence Day!
DeleteI went back and read your post from 2012 and then saw that I commented on it, lol. What a cute story you shared about George Bush :)
ReplyDeleteI listen to Don Bongino (conservative radio show host in case you don't know him). He was in the Secret Service for a few years. He mentions at times stories from that time in his life. Fascinating!
Yummy with the gathering at your son's! I'm sure you are having a great time!
betty
We had a fun time, thanks! I'm not familiar with Don Bongino, but will be checking him out; perhaps he has a podcast I can listen to while walking.
DeleteHave fun, Myra!! Safe travels!! I don't usually like biographies or autobiographies but I really enjoyed reading about Jackie Kennedy's Secret Service Agent! Mrs. Kennedy and Me: An Intimate Memoir by Clint Hill. A good read! xo
ReplyDeleteI remember Clint Hill (goosebumps). Didn't know he authored a book, but I'm going to look for it. Thanks!
DeleteHave a fun and be safe! we had part of a birthday bash for Hannah but we are keeping it quiet so we are not to post photos at social media. It was a fun surprise though. I love all the books written about former presidents and I will look into this one. Thanks Have a safe and happy Independence weekend.
ReplyDeleteI love birthday bashes! (As long as they're not mine. LOL) Happy SONday, my friend.
DeleteHappy 4th of July to you and your family, Mevely. Have great fun.
ReplyDeleteGod bless always.
Thank you, Victor! Wishing you a most blessed day.
DeleteCute...I personally know of a Secret Service Agent and he was on Obama and Clinton's team; to which he said, "Not very nice people." ANYWAYS, Have a Happy July 4th. smiles
ReplyDeleteYep, that was in there. I could add more, but won't.
DeleteLoved this anecdote, Myra. Cookies and milk? That's great!
ReplyDeleteBlessings for a wonderful Fourth!
Can't you just see that? So glad you liked it, too!
DeleteHappy fourth to you and yours. I can't imagine being part of the Secret Service Team to the Trump's. It must be a harrowing experience to protect them. Asking Father God to send angels to him to help the SS.
ReplyDeleteI know, right? There's so much hatred and unbalanced individuals out there.
DeleteHappy Fourth over that way. I enjoyed the read and I think I will locate the book. I know it must be amazing, the inside stories from the Secret Service. This was a very neat entry. LOved it.
ReplyDeleteSherry & jack getting ready for church.
Me, too. (Getting ready for church, that is.) I hope you'll let me know what you think of the book!
DeleteI love reading all the books like this. Noelle had some crazy presidential facts she shared with us this weekend. I have to remember to ask her where she found them. I am just catching up and stopping by again. ENjoy your week.
ReplyDelete