Thanks to our hostess, Annie -- and Pam Steiner for today's questions. Anyone thinking, "Hey, these sound like something out of Ron Serling's Twilight Zone!" Well, listen in part to what Pam has to say:
I came up with this idea after watching some shows on YouTube about people exploring abandoned houses. There are many of them around the world, some as big as castles, and others just common humble homes. It is very interesting to see the kinds of things that have been left behind in these houses, as if the people just suddenly disappeared and no one ever went back to clean out the house or change a thing inside.
This made me look at my house and wonder what people would think if they found my house in such a situation as this. Perhaps it will make you stop and think about just what kind of message we are leaving behind us here on this old earth...
Let's pretend that it is 50 years into the future, and explorers have just discovered your house, "frozen in time" exactly as it is today. Everything is preserved, even the food, but of course no one has lived there for fifty years. What do you think would be their first reaction as they walk in the door of your house?
Looks cozy -- but that carpet in the front room seriously needs professional cleaning.
2. What would the things left in your house tell the explorers about you?
Someone loves music ...
their dogs, too!
Comfort's more important than style, and wow.
These people must sure love to eat!
3. What kinds of books would they discover on your bookshelves or beside your chair/bed?
We've very few 'real' books anymore. But those we do run the gamut from WWII aviation ... to Christianity ... to mystery thrillers.
4. What things would they discover in your closets or cabinets that would make them wonder why on earth you were saving it?
"Why on earth?" indeed!
That's what I ask myself everytime I catch a glimpse of my old formal gowns.
Oh and these!
Just for giggles last week I tried putting them on. No way! Between going barefoot and wearing tennis shoes the last 3 years, my feet have spread. Just as well; I'd probably break a hip.
* * *
A little off subject, but may I add something else?
At Bible study yesterday the DVD's narrator (Amera Brown) spoke about a game she used to play when she was a little girl: House.
She imagined her body was a house. Her heart, its center. She'd ask herself: "Who in my life do I allow in my living room? In my kitchen?"
Then,
"Who do I ask to sit out on the porch?"
Who's sitting in your living room?
As always, thanks for making time to visit me!
Hugs, Myra
Because our living room when you step into it is the whole middle of the house from the front wall to the back wall is open it's 30 feet by 17. Everyone that steps in the door makes a comment about the size of the room. What a friend came by to look at a car we were selling and he came in the house and he and his wife live in a tiny little condo on the 5th floor and when he stepped in the door he said you live in a castle! So I think the first thing people would say is the size of the rooms. I don't have much stuff out they wouldn't really know what I do here other than the TV and a Kindle and computers that's it. I don't think they could tell much about our personality by looking at what's in the house. About those shoes I look at them and Ponder how in the world I ever walked in high heels because I haven't had any on for probably 25 years. The few shoes that I had that I could no longer wear I donated them and wondered if anybody else would be able to wear them. The only thing in my closet is what fits me now shoes I mean. Oh that brings up the future might think wow look at the different sizes because I have sizes and all the clothes hanging in one closet
ReplyDeleteIsn't perspective wonderful? I'm always wondering what other people think when they step inside. (Not that we have that many people, but still ...)
DeleteI enjoyed your answers. I forgot, in my list, that my husband brought a lot of WWII aviation books, flower & bird identification books, etc. into the marriage 42 years ago. He's so knowledgeable about so many things.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't wear the heels either. Makes me hurt just lookin' at them. *giggle*
Have a blessed day!
Sounds like your Steve and Tom would sure enjoy one another's company. Someday, maybe?
DeleteI so enjoyed your answers here, Myra; I think I'd be very comfortable in your home. :) And I love that you shared that sweet story of playing "house," when our bodies become the very home into which we invite (or don't invite) others. Great image!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Aw, thank you for saying that!
DeleteI didn't realize you and your hubby? were so musical! Who plays what? That's news to me! And those high heels...how DID we ever wear them? I never really did wear high ones, I was already tall enough without them and besides, I love comfort more than style! LOL. Formals? really? That would be fun to see. Do a picture show of them sometime! I still have my wedding dress and one long evening dress for a formal occasion, which will never happen again I am sure. And if it did, I'd want a new dress! LOL. Thanks for playing along. I like the idea of thinking of our heart as our home...I want Jesus to live there first and foremost, and then you are all welcome to come along! Have a blessed day. I will soon be "off to the races" for my procedure. bye bye for now.
ReplyDeleteDespite taking piano lessons for years, I'm not at all musical! Those are Tom's 'toys.' We should plan an on-line tea party some day and all wear our formal clothing.
DeleteHi Myra:
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your answers, especially #4.
I can't wear high heels anymore either and
I got a good giggle when I saw your picture.
I store too many things for the memories.
Have a wonderful day.
https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/
I hear you! Some of my own inanimate objects hold wonderful memories.
DeleteVisitors to my house would say, "What a neat man lived here. Look, the dust bunnies are arranged in date order and neatly labelled. The herbs and spices in his garden are planted in alphabetical order. Where did he find the time? Oh ... it's here next to the sage!"
ReplyDeleteI liked your answers, Mevely. And I agree, with pets in the house it needs constant cleaning. Just ask our dog!
God bless.
How very orderly, indeed! I'm cracking up about the dust bunnies.
DeleteWhat a unique way to look at things. I'm afraid if I left my house as it is now someone would think I'm a hoarder. I have way more than I need and storage tubs full of things in most every room. Every nook and cranny is filled. Sitting in my living room you'd think I was a very comfortable person. I have everything I need around me. Including snacks and candy. Maybe they'd think I over indulge.
ReplyDeleteWell then, your critics can just keep their thoughts to themselves! I like how you surround yourself with things that bring you comfort and pleasure.
DeleteI like the game of House played at Bible Study. That is a good one and one I hadn't heard before. Interesting about someone coming into our house 50 years from now. They would see a spoiled dog once lived there, a musician too, someone who enjoyed reading the Bible and journaling, and an odd assortment of stuffed animals.
ReplyDeleteIts been years since I wore heels. Those days left a long time ago :) (and my feet probably said "thank you")
betty
Me, either. I want to look on line for that video and watch again. The study is 12 Women of the Bible: Martha (session 10), read by Amera Brown.
DeleteYou definitely know how to stir the thoughts. Someone looking here would be confused, thinking, "there is NO DIRECTION this house" and especially the basement is a collection of ours and Shirls, along with the several families of stuff she collected at deaths. There is no evidence we had cats, except the 20lb bag of cat food, but yeah there is the litter boxes.
ReplyDeleteOh they would have to know the former owner loved his country with the flags 'n such. LOL
Sherry & jack
LOL ... keep 'em guessing! Proud to be an American!
DeleteMyra - your house and my house have the same review!
ReplyDeleteGreat minds!
DeleteI love this post, Myra. I think your house sounds very nice, warm and comfy...a place I would very much enjoy.
ReplyDeleteLoved that story at the end. Just what I need to be reminded of.
Thank you so much!
DeleteMy apartment is my playpen. The real me is inside my head and my interactions with others. It works for me. ❤️
ReplyDeleteThey might notice all my iPods, iPads, iPhones, computers, Kindle (only one of those), Rokus and TVs that keep me connected to the wider world. Yes, they do work fine for me. 😊
DeletePlaypen ... I like that! Gosh, 50 years from now will all our toys be considered antique? Yikes.
DeleteAn unusual and interesting subject for a blog post. I hate the house in which I'm living (existing) in now. I'm never satisfied, no matter how hard I try to fix it up.
ReplyDeleteIf it was "discovered" fifty years from now it would be obvious that I am traditionally-inclined, love antiques and nostalgia....and art. My two pianos indicate that I'm musical. And I have a surplus of books (many more than I know what to do with)- including the classics, history, biographies, and many assorted novels.
I'd hate to see how much dust would accumulate in 50 years.
How the heck did women EVER manage to walk in high heels?
I wish more people were traditionally inclined. That's one of the first things I appreciated about you.
DeleteHeels? I'm truly terrified to try to walk in them again.
I enjoyed reading your answers. I just didn't feel like joining in today. I do really like your addition of imagining your body as a house. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Debby.
DeleteI like you answers. As for the heels? I can't say never, but I can say never again!
ReplyDeleteMe, too! Plaster doesn't become me.
DeleteSigh...the heels. I used to love my shoes and wearing cute or sexy heels. I think the bane of old age (other than the hair on one's chin) is also having old feet. Bah.
ReplyDeleteI like that last analogy. There is an evangelism pamphlet out there somewhere that talked about our heart being God's home. It walked you through the "house," but pointed out that in every home there is that one space we keep the door shut to and asks what room do we refuse to allow God into.
Whoa, goosebumps! I'd like to see that pamphlet. Pondering ...
DeleteI have to ask, why do you still have the old gowns and high heels? Oh and who is the musician? Everyone in my family is a musician other than me.
ReplyDeleteThat would be Tom; I can no longer even identify middle C on the keyboard. No idea why the heels are still taking up space; the gowns? Sentimentality!
DeleteI am late tonight getting around to my friends but I enjoyed visiting your home which sounds very similar to mine (you've been here so you know). Just comfortable. I don't have any more heels but do have some of those more formal outfits I wore for Gala. Why am I keeping them? Halloween, perhaps! LOL Love ya! xo
ReplyDeleteWhy not? If it feels good (to doll yourself up), just DO it! 💛
DeleteOh Myra!!! That last quote you shared about House....I LOVE IT! That is beautiful and so good. I asked God the other night when I was praying if I could just talk to Him. I was telling him about my day..like He wasn't there...hee. Then I was like...oh sorry, I guess I should pray, then I thought, He probably loved me just talking to Him. I am off on a tangent...but yes...Jesus lives in my heart. ♥ Loved your answers! Have a nice week!
ReplyDeletehttps://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Lori, I'm delighted to hear this resonated with you. Thank you for sharing your conversation!
DeleteOh I am so sorry I missed out. I really don't know why things happen around here. I am lazy I suppose in the blasting heatwaves. But today the sun is up and shining and it is not as hot as it has been. A Blessing. 50 years from now, our cupboards would still be well stocked. Phamily phpots everywhere. So many collectibles. Not high heels nope. The last ones I had went to the thrift store when Jeremy was married in 2016. They would see how we loved God and the USA! They would fall over at all the clothing I have. I am sorry I Missed out :-( I had a person comment about me posting abvout my faith. well I do not tangle with others she knows absolutely zilch about me other than my faith and with the second anniversary of Alastor Avery coming up tomorrow, I am so sad I can hardly breathe much less think.
ReplyDelete