Sunday, July 11, 2021

Sunday letters

 



Dear Ms. Sling,

I'm enjoying slinging my salad so much I went to order another as a gift.   Sold out. Congratulations, you!  

Know what?   These hot (sweaty) days I want need clean lingerie, but don't want to run the washer's whole cycle.  You stepped up to the plate!   Rather than slinging my 'stuff' out back, I handwash then just roll and squeeze ... and your little bladder (?) sucks out the moisture.  



Dear Readers,

Thank you for your encouragement - and caution - re. me reaching out to my former friend.  After careful consideration, I took 3 envelopes to the P.O. this morning.  Que sera, sera.

 

3 envelopes, you say?  Yep.  One to Sheri ... another to the residents on Alabama Ave. in my mountain hometown (ironic name, no?).  Finally, one to those on Arlington in my heart's hometown.   I'd been wrestling with this decision for a few years now.

  

See, during our high school's 50th reunion, my friend shared that she went and knocked on the door of her childhood home, asking if she might come in and look around.  I'd have been horrified; but yes. The lady was very gracious and invited her in.  (Tom and I were like, "NO way!")  Maybe that's where I got the idea.


Taking pains not to sound creepy, I introduced myself and asked if he/she would consider e-mailing photographs of their home.  I even offered to do the same -- complete with avacado appliances, folksy wallpaper and burnt orange shag carpet.


Nostalgic old broad, aren't I?  I'm not holding my breath, but will let you know if anything comes of it.   



Dear Self

Ya, you're the one who checks online bank accounts first thing every morning.  The first to caution others about potential scams.  Yep, you're a regular Paul Revere.

Then it happened.  You nearly got scammed. 


This is what appeared on Facebook.   I love Guy Fieri and cringed at the idea he and the Food Network had parted ways.   My eyes raced through the article, eager to learn he'd embarked on a new CBD oil venture.  'He' wanted to share a sample 30-day trial bottle with everyone ..... "you only pay shipping and handling."   Why not?



Supposedly, this is an excerpt from NBC News ... 
but if you look closely at the top address it's actually something called 'tasteofseafoods.com.'
The BBB has 30-some complaints on file. So far.

Thankfully, before I finished filling out the form (on my cell) there came a pop-up fraud warning from my bank.   Sick to my stomach I called.  The customer service rep was super nice and suggested I freeze my credit card.  They're issuing a new one, but what a pain.  Lesson learned!  



finally,

Dear One Who May be Feeling Useless .....

The expression on that dude's face  - priceless!



Have yourselves a remarkable new week!

Hugs, Myra



28 comments:

  1. I always love my visits here! Glad you could stop the order for the CBD oil. Facebook is so full of scams! Anxious to hear if you get those pictures! Keep us posted. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri ... I sure will. I hope you'll have a great day today!

      Delete
  2. I do hope they send pictures. That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole world is full of scams. Friday evening I received a text from my credit card. A large purchase sent me over my limit, they approved it, a phone service. No Nada Nope No way! I called ASAP. Last week Avery had the same thing. $1700 and $1600. He was no I do not order from out of the country sites. D U H ! New cards sent to both of us. Nick worked for amaxon sand said be csreful. We think that is where someone swiped our info. U G H ! I would not ask to go inside my childhood home. That mean lady totally destroyed our home, the yard, tore down the fence and put up some ramshackled fence they must have found in the aftermath of a hurricane or tornado. So sad, it hurts my heart. My dad kept the yard pristine, my mom had gardens of flowers and herbs. There is no lawn, no nothing. I cry when I think about it. But being able to get inside a childhood home or your first home when you married, that might have a better outcome. I think the guy who bought our first home, but not from us, must have passed away there. The police left a message if we knew him. It was so creepy. Avery left the detective a message stating we owned it in 1985-1988. Really sad, sounds like he had no phamily. :-( As far as you story goes I do hope they send you photos. That would be so cool. Take care. ENjoy your new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point about your childhood home. I looked at mine on Google Earth and immediately thought, "My parents would be heartbroken." -- The yard was unkept and it looked like a used junk car lot out back.

      Delete
  4. My eyesight is tired and I made many errors. I am so sorry. I hated to delete my whole comment. Chatty Cathy here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea that you sent those letters!! Do follow up with us and let us know what comes of them if anything. I hope you get pictures from the house you used to live in.

    Oh wow with the banking scam! Glad your bank caught it early and you were able to have your card frozen. I bet it is something you won't repeat again!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure. I had that cc# on several auto-pay sites; now I'm having contact them all and give them the new info.

      Delete
  6. Oh my!!You are a very brave lady. Love the letter to Ms. Sling! That is so funny. Is it true? Re: letters to your childhood home. I do hope they will reply. I am thinking of posting some pictures of my childhood home on my blog today. I already posted on Facebook, so probably most everyone already saw them, but there must be something in the air...wanting to "go home again". I don't really WANT to go to my home again, because I think it would be too painful. But then again, in some ways I'd just love to feel the old walls again and see if they talk to me. Now, that scam thing...yeah, I strongly resist urges to click on anything anymore. Too many weirdos and crooks out there just waiting to scam us. I'm glad your bank was on the ball and protected you from "ruin". Please keep us posted on the letters to home results. Praying for something positive and fun. Like you! Positive and FUN! Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's true! (Like an adult diaper - LOL). Not sure why, but I haven't seen your FB posts in a while - hate how they randomly decide what we see (or don't). Thank you got 'getting' what I mean about going home again. Physically it's not possible, but still. From your mouth to God's ears!

      Delete
    2. I must be losing my mind, Pam. I just went over to your FB and yes ... I did see those pictures you posted. I love that mailbox!

      Delete
  7. There are so many phone and e-mail scams these days. I've been receiving a lot of e-mails encouraging me to buy cheap meat in tins. It was spam.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've not had a good spam sandwich in ages.

      Delete
  8. Makes me super glad I left Facebook, Myra. Yes,there seems to be so many scams out there, we can't be too careful.
    Danny actually did go to his childhood home several years back, and the residents graciously allowed him to come in and look around. Remarkable!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's awesome!
      Tom and I were discussing that and agreed, we'd be leery.

      Delete
  9. I was sitting here getting the Tuesday Meme up (for Tuesday) and we were discussing something similar...anyways, thanks for the smiles, Myra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Something similar" ....???
      Oh, I hope it was the last meme. I may be the only one who thought it was hysterical. Tom's like, "The greatest swimmers in the world and they hire a lifeguard?"

      Delete
  10. Good luck with the letters you sent. I like that you asked for photos of the home and offered to send your old ones too. I bet they will be happy to send some, I know I would. Have you ever looked up the address on Zillow? My childhood home has been sold a couple times since I lived there so it shows the old listing photos.

    I'm so glad your bank alerted you on the scam!

    Have a great week Myra. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Zillow's a great resource. I found realtor images of my childhood home, but nothing on my 'heart home' in Abilene. That was the happiest time in my life. Every now and then I check, but it's not been listed in years.

      Delete
  11. What a fun read, also educational. Hope the letters turn out POSITIVE!
    Sherry is the one who checks the bank account on a REGULAR basis. I smile when someone says, "I would never have my bank account online!" It is there whether one uses it or not, don't you know!
    ANYWAY, it is so stinking easy to be scammed on the net, that is for danged sure.
    Love it, and hugs to Brother Tom....
    Sherry and jack.... She is off to visit with her home town friends. Too noisy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, Tom's not much of a fan of on-line and is easily confused. I'm happy to do it.

      Delete
  12. PS: I hate having to get new credit cards due to some crook. It has happened to me twice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the bad news is, I had 5 childhood homes, the last one before i got married at 19 was knocked down by the highway dept and paved. the good news is, I have no desire to see the inside of any of the five.
    If i received a letter from someone asking for photos of the inside of my house, i would immediately think it was a scam of some kind or a robber wanting to know what i have. I would never send strangers photos. as I type this I realized I have put photos of the inside of my house on the WWW so the comment makes no sense.
    we had to do the same with a credit card a few years ago, and in 2010 we had our entire checking account wiped out. the culprit was a pool compnay tht faxed our check to somewhere up north, they ordered free checks with thier name on our info and cashed the checks at check cashing places. we got the money back, it took 3 days, but we had to cancel our checking account and get a new number which caused all kinds of trouble because auto pay paid out of the old checking account, which caused us to have to collect letters from the bank to give to the people that our auto pay bounced. a night mare it was. I have only written 3 checks in the years since then. the fraud people said checks are the easiet way for people to steal our info. it has name, address phone and bank account numbers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG ... I'd have been pulling my hair out and pacing the floors. What a nightmare!
      I think/hope I gave the lady in Abilene enough info to prove I am who I said I was.

      Delete
  14. I'm so glad to hear you weren't crammed. We have to be so careful these days. Glad you madde the effort to keep in touch. You never know until you try. And if you don't try you'd be wondering what would have happened. Now you'll find out. It doesn't hurt to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, that. Either I'll hear ... or not. And can put those thoughts to bed.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!