Good morning friends!
It's still morning, right? I'm slow getting started.
Yesterday evening we attended opening ceremonies of the Alabama Poppy Project held in Prattville's historic district. How about, I simply let these photos tell the story.
The 2020 event began with a plan to make only 500 poppies -- but ended up with 1,001 on display. This year's exhibit more than doubled the previous year -- an impressive 2,021!
Some fun facts (taken from the creator's page)
In the making of the 2021 poppies ...
Over 2,250 pounds of clay were used
17 gallons of red glaze
3,256 hours of kiln firing
A volunteer helped me affix daddy's ribbon to his poppy
A moment of silence
while a solitary figure on the next hill played Taps
Don't let it be forgot .....
Hugs, Myra











Let us not forget.
ReplyDeleteIn the UK, Remembrance Sunday is the nearest Sunday to 11 November. We wear red poppies in remembrance.
God bless you all.
Thank you, Victor. I will make it a point to remember Remembrance Sunday.
DeleteIt looks like a beautiful ceremony Myra. Honoring and remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice today.
ReplyDeleteYes. My Tom made an interesting observation a little while ago - surprised, but pleased, there were no protestors.
DeleteI LOVE AMERICA!
ReplyDeleteMe, too!
DeleteBrilliant Jon accidentally deleted his comment and has to start again.
ReplyDeleteThe poppy project is a wonderful and unique idea. It obviously took an enormous amount of work to make all those poppies. Thanks for sharing the photos.
I'm wondering - do you get to keep your poppy after the exhibit is over?
I thought so, too! Yes, we have the choice to keep our poppy (after June 8) or donate it back to the following year's exhibit. I've chosen to keep mine, but still need to decide where to place it. Thanks for asking!
DeleteI love this! What a beautiful way to honor them.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I agree, Julianne is wonderful.
Deletethey are stunning in the photos and in the video on the link you provided. spectacular! it will be beautiful in anything you put it in
ReplyDeleteTYSM! You know me, I'll probably try out a dozen spots before settling on one.
DeleteWhat a beautiful tribute to those who served in our military, Myra. I read the info page about it. Great project to have started and to continue year after year! I bet it was an honor to be there and have a poppy for your dad there.
ReplyDeletebetty
Thank you, Betty. My father always bought a poppy for his lapel, so ya. It felt good.
DeleteAmen to that.
ReplyDelete😌
DeleteWhat a wonderful idea!
ReplyDeleteYes, isn't it!
DeleteBeautiful. Thank you Myra. smiles
ReplyDelete😊
DeleteWhat a wonderful idea and way to honor our fallen heroes. Thank you for sharing this with us. Beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteThank YOU, my friend!
DeleteSuch an impressive project, Myra, and one that is worthy in so many ways. May we always remember the fallen who gave their all for our freedoms.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Amen!
DeleteHard to believe those poppies are ceramic. They look so real What a wonderful tribute. We should always remember and never forget to honor our heroes to our country. They died so we could live in peace.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely. What a debt they're owed.
DeleteBeautiful. Loved the post and pictures. Memories and appreciation of those who gave all. As kid I loved "Flander's Field". what thoughts. Very nicely SHOWN and SAID.
ReplyDeleteLove you lady.
Sherry & jack (catching up)
I'm so glad you liked this, Jack and Sherry. Love y'all, too!
DeleteBeautiful blog
ReplyDeletePlease read my post
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful rememberance. I love this country, I do not love the politics. Evertime I watch a baseball game and see these players who escaped Solialism and Communism and came here for a better life, I wonder what do they think? Escaping one horror to walk into a new one? So sad we do not have allegiance to our country in our government, and I am angry how many gave their all so all would be free. Not just in America either. Makes me so very sad. I am grateful we fly our flag everyday, at least in our backyard. because my SIL Jake helped me set a little light to graceful watch over it at night. We need a new flag holder on the front yard. I donot want my flag to ever touch the ground.
ReplyDelete