So, the other day I asked, "What food(s) would be most difficult for you to give up?" I sure enjoyed your answers! Like some of you, coffee and peanut butter would be right up there in my Top 3. But #1 goes to the not-so-humble burger. As a child, mother used to predict, "You're going to turn into a hamburger one day."
Personally, I don't think there's anything better than biting into a burger and having the grease juice run down your arm. So far, the best I've found is a little joint on Lake Martin: 1/2 lb., served medium rare with grilled avocado, jalapeno slices and pepper jack cheese. And mayo. Lots of mayo. (*grin*)
Anyway. Unlike my mother who'd 'eat to live' -- fresh fruit and veggies -- I'm my father's daughter. Normally a solemn sort -- except he'd wax euphoric for good food ... among them, fried eggs, scrapple, and cereal floating in a generous bath of Half n' Half. And that was just breakfast. You want to talk Fourth of July and New Years rolled into one? If, when we road trip'd through the Deep South he'd discover grits on the menu. (Nope, that didn't exist back home on the Hill.) He's been gone a long time, but every once in a while my son and I will repeat one of his favorite expressions: "You know, I could sure go for (fill in the blank)."
For a while now, Tom's been on a burger kick. You know the joke men tell about their girl refusing to order fries -- then filching theirs? (Next time dude, make that TWO orders of fries!) Ya, I'm that gal. Not for fries, but rather, these delicious morsels of blackened onions.
He's been making lots of pizza, too. Gotta admit, it's better than many commercial pies we've had! He takes an inexpensive Tombstone, then adds LOTS of (uncooked) Italian sausage, black olives, and Mozarella and Parmesan cheeses -- then bakes it in the air fryer for 6-7 minutes, then on 'air fry' for another 8. Golden and gooey!
I ask you ... how's a person supposed to diet?
Not doing that anymore!
OK. It's not likely I'm willing to do what it takes to fit in a Size 8 again .... but I am stepping up and back onto the trail.
(Meanwhile)
In the words of my new heroine, Courtney Luper:
"As long as I'm 1% better than I was yesterday, I consider myself successful!"
🐣
Wishing everyone a most blessed Easter Sunday!
💜
Hugs, Myra






I love this post, even though my taste for food is different than yours. I may look into air fryers because we no longer have a convection oven. 😊
ReplyDeleteTom loves 'his' Ninja Foodi.
DeleteAgreed - there's nothing better than a good burger - with bacon, avocados, mushrooms, and mayo. I'll skip the jalapenos. And it has to be well-done. That's one of the few things I had in common with my father. We wanted our food thoroughly cooked....no half-done bloody cows...
ReplyDeleteI never thought of adding ingredients to Tombstone pizzas, but it's a good idea.
Hope you and your family have a wonderful, blessed Easter.
Ooooh boy on the 'well-done.' I remember a time in Ft. Worth when my mother tried sending her steak back the 2nd time. The waiter came back and said the chef refused. LOL!
Deletehamburgers are my go to number one love.. lots of mayo, remove the onions. If food has carbs I love it. is your air fryer one of the ones that does other things. i have been looking at the Emeril that is convection oven, toaster oven and air fryer and does everything but buy the food for me.. my toaster oven is getting old, my micorwave is stumbling. both bought years ago at the same time. i can't find a microwave that fits the shelf, they are to big and guess what? it is hard to find one in a store that you can take home, they need to be ordered and take a week to two weeks delivery. even Amazon only has 8 that can ship for 1 or 2 day delivery. all of those are to big. I loved this post and sorry i ran the rabbit off into my own THING.
ReplyDeleteI've sent a PM and pictures. Our Ninja has basically all the features of the Emeril, but I like we can flip it up on its side for space-saving.
DeleteA really good burger is hard to beat, Myra, but I do love Danny's homemade pizza.
ReplyDeleteEaster blessings!
How fortunate, having men who enjoy spending time in the kitchen. Happy Easter!
DeleteI guess I'm more like your mother. The foods I love the most tend to be healthy foods. I only eat beef once or twice a month so It's usually a nice steak that I choose. Happy Easter to you and Tom!
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter, Martha! My momma always said ours would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing. 🙂
DeleteA size 8???? I haven't been a size 8 since high school, LOLOL. Nor will I ever be, grin.
ReplyDeleteI love a greasy hamburger and pizza...smiles
Have a beautiful Easter Sunday...oh and Tom, no more stealing fries. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Soul-sista! Happy Easter, all 3 of you!
DeleteAhhhhh, we enjoyed this one. We must be in the back woods, You blog shows up with already 12 comments. OUCH
ReplyDeleteI must admit if I can find the RIGHT hamburger, I may not be in heaven, but close. I remember long ago in the 50s a fast food place showed up called 'Whataburger', a burger so juicy and good two could eat ONE! It soon disappeared and I thought they no longer existed, then we drove into Texas and I saw one advertised, I quickly whipped in. IT WAS NOT THE SAME (wasn't MickyDs little burger but not what they started with.)
Anyway loved the read and comments. You always produce good entertainment at your house.
Love ya
Sherry & jack
I think there are still some WhataBurger spots in Alabama, but gosh. I've not tasted one since 1975-ish. I hate when someone changes that which didn't need changing!
DeletePS: Back when drugstores had food, Belmont Drug was famous for their burger, it was delicious..
ReplyDelete😋
DeleteI chuckled all the way through this post, Myra! You know I am a foodie too and can really sink my teeth into a delicious medium-well burger! Happy Easter, dear friend! xo
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to hear it, Terri!
DeleteI hope you have a blessed Easter!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sandie!
DeleteNow you've made me hungry ... again. Just had a cheese sandwich. Wish I had a burger instead.
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter to you and your family. Enjoy!
God bless always.
Come'on over! 🙃
DeleteI do love food and enjoying having a good meal and that includes burgers and pizza too. Glad your Tom likes to cook, sure makes it easier for you. We only live once and we should it enjoy it the best we can. That includes small treats like candy too.
ReplyDeleteYes! Just so happens I had two pieces of chocolate for breakfast on the way to Bible study this morning. Yum!
DeleteThis is a great food post! I love a good hamburger, too!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lisa! What do you recommend here in the River Region? (That is, if we ever feel comfortable dining out again.)
DeleteI love a good burger too! Of course, and lot of other things too, obviously! lol
ReplyDelete😋
DeleteI love a good burger too plus so many other things. Saysme, sitting with a 1 lb. container of Prepared Philadelphia Cream Cream Filling in my lap with grahma crackers. This sure brighten my day. HUGS
ReplyDeleteP.S. Leo was nosey looking out the door on the Easter photo and our sign says no appointment ? we do not wish to be bothered by you. Ha!
Simple pleasures!
DeleteThat sounds like a great hamburger....YUM!
ReplyDeleteWe love pizza!!!
There's never a bad time for a great hamburger!
Delete