If this is Wednesday, well, you know. It's time to play the
Without further ado .....
What are some memories you associate with Spring?
Funny you should ask!
I spotted the following comment on my hometown FB page a couple of days ago.
"The smell of Ponderosa pines brings back memories of making chains from the needles: To make one link, you'd pull out two needles and loop the third one back and stick the point into the base. That intensified the smell of the needles, too."
I was stunned to realize someone besides lonely me used to do that at recess, too!
Then, I couldn't help but add my own Springtime recollection:
"When the lilacs bloomed wild against our apartments' concrete wall, one of us 'Chapel' kids would filch his or her mother's honey jar. We'd drizzle that deliciousness across the blooms and eat them."
April showers bring May flowers. Was that saying proven true where you live? Snapdragons, anemons, carnations, lilacs, sweet peas, tulips, lily of the valley, orchids, roses, gardenias. which one on that list is your favorite?
The lowly carnation will always hold a special place in my heart.
What are you top 3 distractions, and how do you deal with them?
Facebook
Blogger
Macie and Grace
(not necessarily in that order)
How do I deal?
I don't! I just go with the flow.
Do you eat beef? In the course of a week, how often is beef on the menu? A hamburger, steak, prime rib, or a roast beef dinner -- which beef entree would you choose, and yes. You have to choose. (Unless you're a vegan, and then you may pass.)
If you know-know me, you know I love beef like some folks love breathing. How often? At least 6, sometimes 7 days a week. I'll take a grilled rib-eye, medium rare ... thank you very much!
In what way were you creative during the month of April?
I don't know if this qualifies as creative -- but I've been stepping up my cooking game.
Insert your own random thought here.



Those cut up vegetables look so good and I love a carnation too.
ReplyDeleteYep, tp math is bad! lol
Thanks, Cathy!
Deletetoilet paper math made me laugh
ReplyDeleteMy Mom grew carnations. I too am on Facebook way too much. The pine needle thing is interesting. We made necklaces from clover.
ReplyDeleteA clover necklace sounds really cool!
Deletethat last TP thing is all too true. i never know how to figure out what i am getting.I have stepped down my cooking and am doing more takeout/delivery and doing the old one pot pasta stuff, even had a stouffers veggie lasagna for a few days, freezer to oven and serve. i have a cauliflower and a red pepper I bought yesterday that I am dreading going in the kitchen in about 10 minutes to chop them up. i love raw cauliflower and the red peppers, they will go in salad today and in a bag for snacks. Bob would eat beef every day, but i don't care for it except for a burger with chips or frys and on a bun. meat i could live without for ever. i eat it and cook it but only because of bob. he loves prime rib or roast.
ReplyDeleteTom loves him those one-pot pasta meals, too! My mother used to keep raw veggies in an ice-water container in her fridge, but when I tried it they never stayed fresh.
DeleteI just did that sort of math in the store yesterday. Its crazy! I love lilacs but didn't know they were edible. All the kids used to run to the pool fence during adult swims and pick and eat the nectar from the honeysuckles that grew there. The pine needles are interesting. I've never heard of that.
ReplyDeleteI don't recall whose idea it was to eat the lilacs - or even how they tasted. But ya, I guess it's a 'thing' in some cultures. Simple pleasures!
DeleteThe soup looks delicious. Did you actually eat lilac blooms?
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Thanks, Victor! Those were just the starters -- later I added lots of fresh mushrooms, summer squash and broccoli.
DeleteYep, we really did eat the lilacs!
LOLOLOL I am so happy to know I am not the only one stumped by the toilet paper math. Smiles
ReplyDeleteI don't even try anymore!
DeleteToilet paper math makes NO SENSE, does it? Just the photo of the colorful veggies is creative!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lisa! It took me a long time to come around to eating veggies and now I'm on a roll.
DeleteLaughed out loud at the toilet paper math! Hilarious! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge answers, Myra. Love lilacs but sure never tried eating them. Now I want to try it! Love you, my friend!! xo
ReplyDeleteBefore I wrote that, I Googled 'eating lilacs' just to be sure. Ya, some folks recommend it, but I'm not anxious to try. Let me know if you do! 💛
DeleteI never did that with pine needles. I do miss lilacs, they smell so pretty. I wish I could eat beef that often. I love it! Yum, that looks perfect for soup. Love your random, so true!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Debby!
DeleteLook at you go on stepping up your cooking game Myra and lol on the toilet paper math!
ReplyDeleteThe Instant Pot's been a game changer, for sure.
DeleteLOL with toilet paper math. Someone needs a math refresher :) Yum on those veggies! Can't get enough veggies in one's diet :) I too like carnations, such a great smell they have. Haven't smelled one in a bit but I can "conjure" the smell as I'm writing this. I hadn't heard of putting honey on blossoms. I'm assuming they were safe to eat blossoms? What a great spring memory!
ReplyDeleteHubby and me briefly thought about getting off Facebook. At first I said "oh sure, I can do it" and then panic started to happen lol. I think I can cut back but I don't think I can ever get off it, sad as it is.
Yum on steaks too. I go with a little more done with it but a good steak is soooo good!
betty
Hahaha on the pull of Facebook. It's like a sneaky riptide, isn't it? I'm always afraid I'm going to miss something good. 'Just have to look closer to find it.
DeleteHA! Toilet paper math!
ReplyDeleteThose veggies look yummy.
Enjoy the rest of April!
Thanks, Willow!
DeleteAt my local Aldi they list a 'price per sheet' for the toilet paper, but not even that helps. Since some sheets are thicker than others you don't need to use as many.
ReplyDeleteExactly! 😳
DeleteRe: Toilet paper math...must be that new math they taught the kids with all the other crazy stuff they've taught them that isn't true. Oh to go back to the good old days when you knew how many squares were on a roll of TP. I just buy Northern TP and be done with it. I can't do math and sit on the pot at the same time. LOL. Regarding eating lilacs...I didn't know you could. But we moved to FL when I was almost 6, so I never got to grow up with lilacs. My mother cried for them every spring and talked about them so much. I don't think she ever ate them, however. We made daisy chains and little flower circlets to wear on our hair when we lived on the farm in PA. Somewhere there is a picture that I can't find. We eat a lot of ground chuck, but other than that I don't buy much beef as it is too expensive. When we want to splurge we have ribeyes cooked on the grill by our son Scott, who is the steak grill cooker master. (does that make sense?) Anyway, I loved your answers. What is detox soup and does it work?
ReplyDeleteHave a happy day.
I first heard of de-tox soup from another blogger who was trying to shed some post-pandemic weight. Tom thinks the name is hilarious. He said, "People are going to think we're addicts." I'll send you an e-mail with the recipe, okay?
DeleteThe toilet paper math struck me so funny, too, Myra, especially after the "year of the shortage." We've gone through so many different brands in trying to keep our supply in stock at home. Yes, I love beef, too, but don't think I could eat it every day - I need a change! Do love the look of those fresh veggies you prepared for soup, though. You go!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Thanks, Martha! I was always so-so about veggies, but now I'm loving them.
DeleteI used to make clover necklaces and bracelets
ReplyDeleteas a child.
I agree with #3 and I definitely use hamburger
a lot, I just finished making stuffed peppers.
Have a good day.
That actually sounds delicious!
DeleteYou do like your beef! My sister has done a carnivore diet for several years and loves it. She keeps her weight off and it seems to give her more energy. A friend and her entire family are carnivores and have never looked or felt healthier. I could buy into that way of eating quite easily myself, but instead do more of a Keto diet.
ReplyDelete